DEM from xyz coordinates

We can get XYZ data into Cinema OK, without plugins, via the object structure menu using a blank polygon object, but it only comes in as a point cloud - not as a polygon surface, and I am not aware of any automatic tools in native cinema that will produce a surface from a point cloud. I mean, there's the metaball, but we could hardly call that ideal, specially not in R16. But this is not my area of expertise - perhaps somebody else knows something I don't about how you might do this...

But I was confused by your file. I imported that, and it gave me 1 vertical line of 11 points at world center. I'd be interested to know what sort of surface you expect to get out of such a file, or was that just a test ?

CBR

1 minute ago, Sharescale said:

Dear Cerbera

that was just a test, but it want to find a way to get the elevation model from from xyz point cloud data.

That's just it - I don't think you can without plugins. Let's hope I'm wrong, hey ? :)

CBR

Not a solution within Cinema 4D, but if you have XYZ point cloud data, you could try and use the free program called MeshLab http://www.meshlab.net/ to create a triangulated mesh which you could then export as an STL/OBJ to bring back into Cinema 4D. Not sure if this will work with your data, but maybe worth trying. Basic instructions, but many tutorials online http://fabacademy.org/archives/2014/tutorials/pointcloudToSTL.html

Another possible Cinema 4D technique for you if your data can be derived from actual maps/GIS data rather than your actual text file:

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2017 at 9:01 AM, Cerbera said:

We can get XYZ data into Cinema OK, without plugins, via the object structure menu using a blank polygon object, but it only comes in as a point cloud - not as a polygon surface, and I am not aware of any automatic tools in native cinema that will produce a surface from a point cloud. I mean, there's the metaball, but we could hardly call that ideal, specially not in R16. But this is not my area of expertise - perhaps somebody else knows something I don't about how you might do this...

But I was confused by your file. I imported that, and it gave me 1 vertical line of 11 points at world center. I'd be interested to know what sort of surface you expect to get out of such a file, or was that just a test ?

CBR

That was just a test file

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community