Naming Tool Tricks/Wildcards/Tokens??

Several questions if I may...

1. Any naming tool tricks? Specifically, I'd love to be able to truncate suffixes from selection tag names such as "mat2_foo_bar_nonsense" to simply "mat2" with a wildcard/token like "_*" in the replace field. Or, heck, even regex?  All this copy/paste work is getting tedious.

2. Know of any scripts that do the truncating described above? I'd be happy with a "blunt instrument" that truncates "_*" off every selection tag name in the entire scene. If only I could write python!

3. Token/wildcard cheat sheet - I'd like a listing of all of them with descriptions, including those like $N you can use in the coordinates manager, etc.  I can't seem to find a listing anywhere.

Thanks for reading! Any tips are greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mike A said:

Seems crazy to me that the C4D Re-namer can't actually, er.. rename things. Add suffixes and prefixes yes, but take a bunch of objects with different names and fully rename them? No.

Maybe you ,mean this ; select the objects in question and in the attributes under the 'basic' tab you can write whatever you want and all the objects will have the same name.  image.png.80efc3886ded93e1a69f1145ef231f8d.png

Absolutely - but it's very limited option. Now I will say, I do have slightly uncommon requirements...

I often deal with fairly large CAD imports - 1,000's of objects - that have alphanumeric names. Commonly I want to select a bunch of those objects and rename them more descriptively, but with a numeric suffix...

Eg I want my bunch of objects to end up named like:

bolt_001

bolt_002

bolt_003

I can batch rename them to "bolt" with the basic tab - but I can't add a numeric suffix. Adding $N doesn't work here, or at least I haven't got it to work.

To add the suffix I then have to go to the renamer and add it - and that is very limited - leading zeros? No. Start from some number other than 0? No....

So IMHO: Renamer is a half baked tool  -  that certainly doesn't live up to it's name. I typically use Lasse Clausen's Renamer Pack linked above,

• 6 months later...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community