Dials - was Wheel of Tools

dast

Also remember that when hovering over the favorite "dot" in the dial, the description/info of the favorite is displayed in the status bar (even user has entered description/info). I agree that colors are difficult to memorize when having tenfold of favorites, but I haven't found a better way ... yet.

Finalized version 1.1 and wrote the documentation.

An early Christmas present sent out to those having donated ... check your e-mails.

Others will need to wait for the official release, in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have question toward Dials. I downloaded the demo and each time I choose dials the circle icons get faded in one by one. 

Now, I'm not sure that the demo only. But if I buy the plugin I want a pie menu that pops in instantly.. so is that only the demo?

5 hours ago, RobertL said:

I have question toward Dials. I downloaded the demo and each time I choose dials the circle icons get faded in one by one. 

Now, I'm not sure that the demo only. But if I buy the plugin I want a pie menu that pops in instantly.. so is that only the demo?

The free version of the plugin, available to download here at the C4DCafe, is not a demo version but has limited features. The fading in of the icons one by one is a limitation of this free 1.0 version. When you purchase the paid version (updated to 1.1), next to support you also obtain additional features such as the possibility to create multiple dials, as well as favorites per tool.

This version does not have the limitation of fading in icons one by one.

Features of the paid version are available in the demonstration video I provided a few posts back (https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/103440-dials-was-wheel-of-tools/?do=findComment&comment=687595)

12 hours ago, RobertL said:

One more question: How can I assign a keyboard shortcut to the individual dial layouts? 

As far as I can see now, its always one Dials Layout with submenus in the middle ring.

Short answer: you can't.

Cinema 4D is designed (as far as I know) to use a single shortcut for a single plugin.

Before implementing the current toolsets via the middle ring, I researched possible solutions to provide multiple dials.

One solution was to provide a command plugin per dial, which would allow users to define separate keyboard shortcuts per dial. This would also mean that the number of dials was predefined, as each dial would require a unique plugin ID obtained from MAXON. Furthermore, this would mean that the number of dials (thus toolsets) could not be created dynamically

At that point, I assumed people would prefer having a single plugin, instead of one entry per dial, and be able to dynamically create the number of dials they wanted.

11 hours ago, stoecklem said:

This would definitely be very nice and what I was hoping as well (not that the submenus aren't awesome).   Is there some way install second version of the plugin?  

As mentioned above, for each dial a separate plugin ID is required. I could provide 5, 10, 20 entries. Then someone comes along and requests 21 ;-)

I would thus much more prefer a dynamic solution ... which I currently do not have.

Let me sleep over it for a few nights, and I might come up with something. Nothing promised.

It's Sunday morning, 6 AM. I just woke up with a possible solution to your request.

I still need to see if I can get this solution implemented. But I guess I will have to get rid of the sticky key code as it kind of interferes with this new multi toolset shortcut solution.

Since the sticky key didn't behave as expected on every version of Cinema 4D or OS platform, I was already more or less inclined to remove this anyway.

Will report back when I have more news ...

Edit:

OK, the concept does work, but I had some trouble with the assignment of the different shortcuts.

Basically what needs to be done is for the user to create a script per wanted toolset shortcut. Then assign a shortcut to each of these scripts ... and that's where Cinema didn't cooperate. It would allow me to assign a shortcut only to the last script of the set I had created.

But restarting Cinema 4D after having created all the scripts does seem to do the trick.

The script is simply passing the toolset number to Dials, so all scripts are equal except for the toolset number

# Dials - toolset shortcut helper
# 'TOOLSET' refers to the toolset number you would want to activate
# Any number between 1 and N, where N is the total number of toolsets available.
# Using toolset number 0 will activate the last used one.
# When a toolset number is provided out of range the plugin will revert to using 0
#
# Assign a shortcut to this script to activate the required Dials toolset
# (for this to work you'll need Dials v1.2)

import c4d

TOOLSET = 1

if __name__=='__main__':
    c4d.CallCommand(1041321, TOOLSET)

The above script uses TOOLSET = 1 to activate the first toolset, simply create different of these scripts, replacing the '1' with the required toolset number.

@RobertLLet my know if you want to test this new version.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community