Jump to content

How to apply mocap to rigged model?


Recommended Posts

I have a model which is already rigged but it doesn't have any animation on it (I exported it as FBX from Daz3D).

I got a motion capture data as FBX from the internet...a simple "say hello" movement.

I watched this video on how to apply the mocap data (which shows is a rig actually) to a model (which doesn't seem to have a rig) .

 

I followed the steps there but my model doesn't seem to get the Bind command...so the rig with the mocap data is not bound to the already rigged model I have. So when I play only the mocap rig moves, without the model.

 

Do you have any idea on how to make it work? Do I have to delete the model's rig for that? Or? See the image below (the rig from the right is the rig which holds the motion capture data).

 

Thanks.

 

 

mocap.jpg

Link to post
4 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Scene file would be nice, then it is easier to help. If I understood you correctly, you either bind the mesh to mocap rig or use retarget tag on your existing skeleton

Here is the link to the scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zusrh8q8e4b6uk/mocap.c4d?dl=0

I didn't use retarget tag....I used Bind command. As you see the bones from the first skeleton doesn't match the bones from the second. And I don't know if it should or not necessary.

Link to post

Joint hierarchy has to be the same for retargeting. The way it works is that you assign retarget tag to your rigged mesh parent joint and the use mocap skeleton as source. In your case joint hierarchy is not matching so you have two options. You either adapt existing joints on your mesh and bind again, or you use actual mocap joints and bind them. If mocap anim is only thing you will need in a shot it seems as better solution.

Edited by Hrvoje
Link to post
1 hour ago, Hrvoje said:

Joint hierarchy has to be the same for retargeting. The way it works is that you assign retarget tag to your rigged mesh parent joint and the use mocap skeleton as source. In your case joint hierarchy is not matching so you have two options. You either adapt existing joints on your mesh and bind again, or you use actual mocap joints and bind them. If mocap anim is only thing you will need in a shot it seems as better solution.

Ok, I eliminated the model's rig and I am trying to use the mocap rig....still the Bind command doesn't work properly it seems. After the command Bind I move the model with Move tool and I see the rig is moving too with the model (so it is bound, it looks). But when I play the animation only the rig is animated, that animation is not translated to the model (before Bind command I made all the model parts as one model using Connect Objects, and used the result in Bind command - just like I saw in the video above).

Any ideas?

Link to post

That is the issue with, what I presume is a bought model and mocap data, they are often not compatible. Probably the best approach here would be to create a single mesh of your model and reposition the arms to get it inline with mocap rig. Then simply select all mocap joints and mesh then hit bind. Auto weighting will do it's thing but you will have to tune the weights...

Link to post
36 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

That is the issue with, what I presume is a bought model and mocap data, they are often not compatible. Probably the best approach here would be to create a single mesh of your model and reposition the arms to get it inline with mocap rig. Then simply select all mocap joints and mesh then hit bind. Auto weighting will do it's thing but you will have to tune the weights...

Yeah, in the end I did like that. But it seems I have a lot of work to refine the weights....I am also using this plugin which helps a bit but not too much in this case: https://www.valkaari.com/?product=delta-mush

Link to post

Hi, that is a prime example for the problems we are having for years with mocap in C4d. As soon as the rigs are different you have a hell lot of work. If the rigs are the same you just need to copy the motion Tag over.

The stable solution in cases like this is to build an inbetween rig that is the same like the mocap rig but without Animation. To that you constrain the bind rig via constraints or xpresso to compensate for the different joint structure. It is tricky to set up. Now you import the mocap rig and drag the motion tag over to the inbetween rig which drives the bind rig.

conclusion: build a consistent rig pipeline from the beginning or you enter the world of pain :)

 

Edit: Or buy Motion Builder for half a fortune

:

Link to post
10 hours ago, zeden said:

Hi, that is a prime example for the problems we are having for years with mocap in C4d. As soon as the rigs are different you have a hell lot of work. If the rigs are the same you just need to copy the motion Tag over.

The stable solution in cases like this is to build an inbetween rig that is the same like the mocap rig but without Animation. To that you constrain the bind rig via constraints or xpresso to compensate for the different joint structure. It is tricky to set up. Now you import the mocap rig and drag the motion tag over to the inbetween rig which drives the bind rig.

conclusion: build a consistent rig pipeline from the beginning or you enter the world of pain :)

 

Edit: Or buy Motion Builder for half a fortune

:

Or maybe someone will build this type of plugin :) (this an idea, there is no plugin like that yet)

 

 

Link to post

Hi, 

This is the method i have used to enable to bind the T pose character mesh at world 0.0.0. To the mocap animated joints rig.

a. Move the slider on the timeline from: 0 to -1.

b.Turn the auto recording on and move the mocap rig to world 0.0.0.

c. (Keep recording the next stage) align the mocap rig joints to the mesh T pose using all viewpoints. Turn recording off.

d. Depending on which version of c4d you have either select all the mocap joints and the character mesh parts, or one at a time and go to; character>command>bind. I prefer to bind each mesh item individually  to its corresponding joints, that way you avoid weights overlapping to other parts.

e. move the slider to; o and hide the -1 keyframe.

f. Play the animations and check/tweak the mesh weights.

Good luck.

Link to post
  • 1 year later...

I am having lots of issues with rigging, I have lots of experience with composting and animating in AE but C4D is new to me. I pusrchased an Xsnes motion capture suit and need help rigging characters to my mocap data. Is anyone able to provide private lessons and or services to me for this ? 

Link to post
  • 5 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, nottylerdurden said:

I am having lots of issues with rigging, I have lots of experience with composting and animating in AE but C4D is new to me. I pusrchased an Xsnes motion capture suit and need help rigging characters to my mocap data. Is anyone able to provide private lessons and or services to me for this ? 

 

I think being new to 3d and going straight to character rigging and dealing with mocap data is literally the steepest learning curve! Skillshare is a good place for tutorials, I'm sure you can find a beginners c4d class, then a character rigging class, I'd recommend learning a bit of xpresso too, then there'll be a lot of mocap specific tutorials on youtube. Good luck!

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

ABOUT US

We are Cinema 4D Community of dedicated, friendly and passionate artists, hobbyists and developers. Feel free to join us to share your knowledge, your art and anything that might help Community to grow and become a better place for everyone. We are providing guidance, free plugins and files, feedback and various discounts for our Contributors and much more. :cowboypistol:

SUPPORT

Tickets

Purchases

×
×
  • Create New...

Copyright Core 4D © 2021 Powered by Invision Community