Hair Instance Color Mapping Issue

Go to solution Solved by Richard Roberts,

Hi there,

I am working with cinema 4d's hair system and I love the ability to drive hair color by the texture map of my uv'd object that I am trying to add hair to.

My problem is this doesn't seem to work when you either generate cards or instances off the hair system. What I am trying to do is use flat cards and have those also driven by the hair material so each card picks up the color of the texture map from the uved object there being generated from.

I am attaching two screenshots and a zipped file to my test project file with the setup and textures. My team and I are super stuck and any help would be amazing.

Thank you!

Instance_Plane_Mapping.PNG

Hair_Color_Mapping.PNG

Example_Test.zip

Thanks so much for the reply. I am running into two issue with this.

1. The spherical mapping isn't entirely accurate. There are cards on the top where they should be blue but are pink.

2. This example is just a test scene, my plan is to use cards with alpha's on to create feather on my object. I need to use the texture to drive color because my bird is very complex in terms of color and pattern. Hand doing areas won't allow for a realistic transition.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Richard, you can go to Hair/Generate/Flat. That will give you planes/cards ready for texture application including alphas. Should you need to go cross platform later, you can manipulate the Hair cards in C4d (with the Hair tools and from inside the hair texture tag: frizzing, clumping, etc) and then bake them for use in any other package.

Hi Helix,

Thanks so much for posting, generating flat cards and using my material with an alpha does give me the feathers I am after but the problem lies with the texturing. Each card is being given separate uv's which isn't what I am after.

I am looking for the cards to utilize the same uv's the hair does when you plug in the texture map to drive the color. Attached is what you get. When you use just hair you can see the colors are accurate to the base texture. 

Capture.PNG

Hair_Color_Mapping.PNG

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig this one up, but this question was obviously misunderstood and remains unanswered. I'd just be asking the exact same question.

Does anyone know a way to use 'flat' or instanced geometry with hair, and have it pick up the color of the object it's attached to?

i.e the color of the flat polygons should be a solid color, defined by the color of the parent object's UV map at the point where it's attached. Exactly as it works with generate set to none

We don't won't ' individual but identical UV mapping.' . that's exactly what we don't want.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community