Keyframes: Disable Frame Snapping?

Hi everyone. Simple one today:

• The Specific Goal: Two gears, one with 39 teeth, another with 28, rotate 360 degrees in 60 frames and set "Track after," to "continue." So it loops forever. 
  • The Challenge: Using whole numbers, this is not possible. 
  • The question: Can frames be subdivided down several decimal places?

I realize there are other options such as:

• Xpresso
  • Putting the second keyframe far off (say at frame 1092 by multiplying 39 x 28).
  • Dynamics

But I am simply curious if I can divide up key-frames smaller than the whole of their parts. I must be using the wrong terms in my search results and I've come up empty. Thanks all. I will be back Monday to follow up.

PS: My Broader Goal: If I can unlink key-frames from their nearest whole number, I can accurately stretch and compress a series of key-frames on location sensitive items (like gears), but keep their proportions 100% accurate.

I don't wany do the gears math, but you could try to increase the framerate, and than use the frame step to render the normal fps again. Than you can place your keyframes more precise.

Other idea is to extending your timeline, so you have 360 * 39 * 28 frames, this you can keyframe easy and correct, and then go back to your desired length (or render your desired length).  

I don't get the relevance of the number of teeth. To turn any object 360 deg in 60 frames is 6 deg per frame so just multiply frame by the radian equivalant of 6 deg in XPresso. To make a loop, render frames 0-59 inclusive.

2cogs.c4d

at that speed, there will be strobe effects, so stuff will appear to go backwards etc - Hollywood wagon wheel effect...

I'm a big fan of Looney Gears

Thanks guys for the replies, I was super busy this week, so here we go!

Hi @Hrvoje  

On 7/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, Hrvoje said:

So, you want infinite animation of two gears? Why not simply use Xpresso or Cmotion? :)

Mostly just as an experiment to see if I can drag the whole timeline out where each keyframe slides to a very specific keyframe (say keyframe 9.225) instead of a whole number. 

image.png.a466b646aa39c29b38202a4e3efd9c4e.png

Hi @westbam

On 7/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, westbam said:

I don't wany do the gears math, but you could try to increase the framerate

Yeah this is definitely a method, the only thing about it that I don't like is you can't see all your frames on a nice and concise timeline. You'll have 99% of your keyframes between say between 0-300 and then one that's 0-300,000+ kinda triggers my OCD lol! I was hoping for a way to allow for keyframes to be placed on a non-zero keyframe like keyframe 9.225 instead of 9, for example.

Hi @jed!

On 7/21/2019 at 7:00 AM, jed said:

I don't get the relevance of the number of teeth. 

This is likely due to my poor understanding of how key-frames work, or worse, my inability to understand of radians/pi ;)

What I was trying to convey is lets say you have a 3 frame animation. There something that rotates 360 degrees every 2 frames, then you have something that rotates 360 degrees in 3 frames, my understanding is this is a 2/3 ratio (0.66), but if you dragged all key-frames over so that the project was 4 frames long, the second key-frame might shift from frame 3 to 4, but the first key-frame might stay the same, making that ratio (0.5). What I am wondering if there is a way that if you were to drag all keyframes out, is if you can keep identical proportions. If I dragged the length of all key-frames from project length of 3 frames to 4 frames, could that first key-frame somehow become 2.64 to keep the ratio correct, or does C4D only operate in whole numbers for frames? 

14 hours ago, BLSmith said:

or worse, my inability to understand of radians/pi ;)

I'm sure you're only joking about radians, but anyway I've recorded a little ramble about C4D, XPresso and radians. Might help someone

Great video Jed! Loved the zooms, curser color, resolution, pans, no fluff, changing values to show more than one example of a changed value. Much more valuable than 99% of most tutorials out there :)

I'm gathering that there isn't a way to "unsnap keyframes," and working from within Xpresso is the cleanest way to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks all. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community