X-Particles Recommended Hardware?

So I've been learning X-Particles for a few months.

Work Machine has the most up to date Mojave. Home machine has most up to date High Sierra with newest Nvidia drivers and CUDA drivers for that OS.

If I throw too much at my 5k 27" 2015 iMac at work, the simulation grinds to a halt. Usually for several minutes. A basic simulation of Fluid FX Water Body from the Quick Tools and an xpTurbulence modifier strength pumped up to 15 can lock it up. So that makes it harder to adjust when it's constantly freezing. 

I also have a 2012 MacPro5,1 at home that I replaced with two 3.4 Ghz X5690 Xeon's (12-Core Total),  GTX 1080 (8GB), 32Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD in a PCIe adapter from MacSales. It does simulations better than my work iMac, but still gets choked down. So I've been wondering what type of hardware are people using to get their sims to run more smoothly while building scenes? I know the simulation can be cached, but that doesn't help very much while testing and building. Eventually I will get a newer laptop, or custom build PC. So I'm just trying to figure out what hardware can handle these scenes better.

Also are there any tips anyone can give about maybe lowering some settings while setting up a simulation that might help?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hey OP, any feedback on your completed build, I’m looking for inspiration to get things started.l for my first build

Regarding caching, any tips on ssds? i may need 10-15tbs capacity at once. Some of my scenes usually take up to 2tb in external cache files and I work on multiple projects at once. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community