CINEMA 4D R21 VIEWPORT NOT SHOWING

2 minutes ago, fredcudjoe said:

it pop ups an info box

That confirms it: only OpenGL 3.2 is supported on your HD2000 graphics chip. That's the culprit. Again, you have been very lucky R20 ran at all on your system.

PS No driver exists for the HD2000 that supports a higher version of OpenGL. I know, because I looked. I have a Windows tablet with the same chip, and desperately wanted to run some software which required OpenGL 4. It's a dead end.

Luckily, you have a desktop that can be upgraded. And according to C4D's minimum system requirements your system lacks RAM memory as well: at least 4GB is required, and you only have 2GB.

Check the system requirements here:

https://www.MAXON.net/en/products/cinema-4d/system-requirements/

25 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

I think you might be out of luck with your Intel HD2000: it only supports OpenGL up to version 3.1

Cinema4D 21 requires at least OpenGL 4.1. While C4D R20 also required OpenGL 4.0, the latest R21 might not be as forgiving. In short: you lucked out. Your HD2000 is not officially supported in R20.

The HD2000 is nine years old, and truly a bottom of the barrel graphics chip. I am amazed you have been able to do any 3d work on a system like that.

My suggestion would be to invest a little money in a new graphics card. Your system is a XPS 8300 Desktop model, and looking at the technical service manual, it doesn't provide that much space for a graphics card, so you should be careful what kind of card to get. Measure the available space before making a purchase.

A good inexpensive model would be the AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB. It will make a world of a difference compared to your current graphics chip (which, frankly, is outdated - sorry 🙂 ).

Your system main board sports one PCI Express x16 card slot, in which the new graphics card should be inserted. Check the service manual here:

https://data.technimax.cz/attach/artilky/xps-8300_service manual_en-us.pdf

Chapter 7 explains the process.

And additional advantage is that your current HD2000 chip gobbles up precious main RAM, which is then released to the OS (and C4D) to work with.

Also, if your Operating system is still running on a traditional hard drive (seeing that your computer is from 2011 chances are that it is), do yourself a favour and get a nice solid state drive (SSD), image your main hard drive, and clone your system on that new SSD drive. Finally, install a bit more memory, and it will feel like a new computer.

Anyway, looking at your current system spec, you've been extraordinarily lucky Cinema4D R20 runs on it.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

All is noted, will see to it and get myself updated.

1 hour ago, hvanderwegen said:

PS No driver exists for the HD2000 that supports a higher version of OpenGL. I know, because I looked. I have a Windows tablet with the same chip, and desperately wanted to run some software which required OpenGL 4. It's a dead end.

Luckily, you have a desktop that can be upgraded. And according to C4D's minimum system requirements your system lacks RAM memory as well: at least 4GB is required, and you only have 2GB.

Check the system requirements here:

https://www.MAXON.net/en/products/cinema-4d/system-requirements/

Thanks for the help.

please do recheck, my RAM is 20GB.

8 hours ago, fredcudjoe said:

Thanks for the help.

please do recheck, my RAM is 20GB.

Ah sorry - in that case RAM is fine. Just get a good graphics card. Do research, though: depending on your work you may want to invest in a graphics card that allows you to do GPU rendering (like Cycles4D or Octane). Make sure your mainboard supports your choice of graphics card.

Yeah time for a new graphics card. I'm still running a first generation i7 950 CPU but I've upgraded the GPU about 3 times and increased my RAM to 24 GB.  This has kept me zipping along pretty well. My current graphics card is a nVidia GTZ 1050ti. A budget high performance GPU.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello.

I am having the exact same problem with c4dR21 and I tried all of the above. the difference here is that i'm dealing with a machine that has 7 graphic cards RTX 2080 TI. I installed the last driver for geforce and everything works anywhere else except the c4d viewport. i tried the video safe mode with control shift. i tried reinstalling c4d. i restarted the machine several times. i reinstalled the drivers. nothing seams to work. the viewport is just completely locked (black screen). but it seams to render though, so the objects are there (not hidden).

Any chance you can help me here?

thanks

c4d screenshot.PNG

drivers.PNG

openGL capabilities.PNG

octane preview.PNG

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with 3x GeForce 2080Ti..

Now i have wrote at MAXON! I will inform you about the reply.

A solution to show the viewport is to run C4D from teamviewer and then came back to Remote Desktop!

For Redshift render view this doesn't work!

Here the reply from MAXON:

Remote Desktop cannot be used with applications like Cinema 4D or most games as they are using OpenGL.
Remote Desktop does not use the graphiccard from the computer, so no OpenGL and graphicrelated parts can be seen or used.
The only known Remotesoftware using OpenGL and can work with such programs would be this one:
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/zcentral-remote-boost.html

TeamViewer works a different way, as it just streams what is happening on the other machine, so you can even see the viewport and everything else correctly.

The most easy and recommended way, would be to install Cinema 4D on your local machine and just transfer rendered data or scenes.

The problem should be that the OpenGL Driver doesn't start, now I ask you, is there a way to run OpenGL driver independently at the launch of C4D?

• 4 months later...

Hi Enneble,

Did you get your issue sorted out? I have an old NVidia card and am having the same problem of black Viewport, but if you, with your later GPUs and multiple cards are having the same problem, the issue must be something else other than the card age.

• 1 year later...

I have this issue for R21+. My computer is a bit old (a 2010 model) and a lot of drivers etc. discontinued the support for it.
I'm aware that I need to upgrade for a whole new fresh computer -not just adding RAM or graphic cards to this out-dating one.
I post this here to let people know what works with what.

This screenshot shows both R21 (left) and R20 (right) running at the same time.

R20's viewport works without issues, while R21's viewport cannot show my 3D models unless I render it!

As you can see, both R21 and R20 require OpenGL 3.2. But R21 shows OpenGL not available, while R20 shows OpenGL 3.3 is available!

Now the question is why? Why R21 doesn't show it?

I don't get much of this technical stuff but, I can tell R21 no longer supports something! or R20 has files R20 is missing!

* While you can't ignore considering a hardware upgrade, I think there might still be some workaround hope to solve this viewport issue!

Z6ouSKo.jpeg

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community