An open letter to MAXON CEO McGavran

Intenditore

Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel Maxon is taking an Adobe route?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

13 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

There are ways around this. Modo has procedural modelling and while you can make selections in the normal way, these do get messed up if you change something earlier on. There's a whole swag of procedural selection options e.g. select by previous operation and then subsets of that, select by angle etc etc. Then of course the selection you made can be updated by reselecting / updating. I do a lot of my modelling now starting off with a procedural model. I can then experiment with various mesh densities. Much better than doing a whole heap of undo's and losing your modelling.

C4D can do a lot more procedural modeling now that Fields have been introduced, which allow selections by (among others) spatial ranges or intersections with other objects. The generative selections (stuff like C1, C2 etc) could get extended depending on the operation. MaxonLab's PyParametric objects point in the same direction (although they aren't R21 capable yet?). So, it's not completely out of range.

The conceptual combination with XPresso is another question though; currently XPresso is one thing, and the hierarchical operations in the object tree are another thing. While it would be desirable to have some XPresso capabilities in modeling (in fact, one large concept for materials, procedural generative modeling, animation, and simulation with nodes...) I don't quite see that yet.

Maybe needs a new core 😊

(and a different discussion thread, really)

A note on online help!

I've been off ill for a while. Being back to work I discovered Nextlimit "renewed" their Realflow online help system. And now no matter where do I press "help" it leads me to stupidest ever page with a bunch of products I have no clue about, anything but not the page on the topic I'm interested as it was just a month ago! And I have to manually search it in interned to get any info. Idiocy

I'm just ireful. And we are all afraid the same will happen on day for C4D, not even talking about that's simply inconvenient and very stupid. Cinema's help was the best in industry.

Xpresso - I thin it worth to start a standalone topic on that, I have many thoughts how it should be evolving. Basically, I'll suggest you to take a look at some Houdini nodes. And especially - a way to procedurally select and manipulate points of the mesh. That alone would increase Xpresso power drastically

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting example of modern world SaS solutions or why else we are much afraid of fatal subscription model flaws

Adobe is cutting off users in Venezuela due to US sanctions

Users have until October 28th to download content, and no refunds will be issued

Adobe is shutting down service for users in Venezuela in order to comply with a US executive order issued in August that prohibits trade with the country. The company sent out an email to customers in Venezuela today to let them know their accounts would be deactivated, and posted a support document further explaining the decision.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20904030/adobe-venezuela-photoshop-behance-us-sanctions

Yeh that is messed up. While I could find a way around Adobe products for illustration (Affinity Designer etc), I am entirely reliant on After Effects for 80% of my work, so I'd be absolutely screwed if that were to occur here. Poor Venezuelans. It's crazy that they're not offered refunds either. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community