No more Feature Requests / Suggestions?

cinomadic

Hey everyone -

I think many of you know me - I've been part of MAXON and around this and other C4D communities for 20 years. For the past year or so I've been part of the Product team helping to communicate what you as users need and prioritize development for Cinema 4D.

First - you're absolutely right that we can improve in the way we collect ideas and the feedback we provide when ideas come in. I try sometimes to reply to ideas that come in via the support form, but that system isn't well designed to avoid duplicate ideas, discuss ideas and communicate status. It's a top priority for us to implement an improved system. 

Second - thanks to the folks that mentioned the difficulty of the task and timing involved. It's important to keep in mind that there's two types of ideas - major new features and smaller workflow tweaks. Major new features are especially tricky to fit into the roadmap, and typically we've got those mapped out a couple of years in advance. It's always great to hear your priorities, but typically we've got a pretty good idea of what we need here - it's a matter of piecing the puzzle together in the proper order to ensure you always have the best C4D possible. It's especially great when you point out the workflow tweaks - like @Intenditore. We're often able to fit these into the road map a bit quicker, and these can have a huge difference in improving your efficiency and enjoyment of Cinema 4D. 

@Intenditore - thanks for your specific suggestions. I'm very familiar with your suggestions, and sorry we haven't directly responded to your feedback. You've got some great ideas for improving the animation workflow. BTW - some color coding is already possible though a bit hidden. In the Timeline prefs, you can change Track Color from "No Color" to either "Pos/Scale/Rot" or "Track Color". The last option will allow you to set the color in the AM when selecting a track.

Cheers,

Rick

• 6 months later...

Hi! @DMcGavran , @Igor,@srek, & @RBarrett

Besides better responses to bug reports labeled as 'Suggestions and Ideas for MAXON,' is there any progress on the collection of user Feature Requests for future versions of Cinema 4D?

I've been talking to different animators who participated in the #MovingColin contest who have some really good ideas on ways to make character animation in the Timeline better after the experience. I suggested the Bug Report route to them to get these ideas to you, but I still feel like this is a poor, black box way to submit user feedback. A dedicated web site would be great, but something as simple as a Feature Request forum on C4DCafe with polls & discussions would be a better temporary solution than the bug report model: more formal than a Wishlist thread that gets outdated & forgotten with every release, more effective as market research, more user-friendly in the presentation of an idea, and of little-to-no cost to MAXON in the meantime.

It sounds like you're aware of the need & benefits, I just was curious if something is being implemented as it has come up again.

With much gratitude, thank you!

On 2/4/2020 at 2:25 AM, RBarrett said:

Hey everyone -

I think many of you know me - I've been part of MAXON and around this and other C4D communities for 20 years. For the past year or so I've been part of the Product team helping to communicate what you as users need and prioritize development for Cinema 4D.

First - you're absolutely right that we can improve in the way we collect ideas and the feedback we provide when ideas come in. I try sometimes to reply to ideas that come in via the support form, but that system isn't well designed to avoid duplicate ideas, discuss ideas and communicate status. It's a top priority for us to implement an improved system. 

Second - thanks to the folks that mentioned the difficulty of the task and timing involved. It's important to keep in mind that there's two types of ideas - major new features and smaller workflow tweaks. Major new features are especially tricky to fit into the roadmap, and typically we've got those mapped out a couple of years in advance. It's always great to hear your priorities, but typically we've got a pretty good idea of what we need here - it's a matter of piecing the puzzle together in the proper order to ensure you always have the best C4D possible. It's especially great when you point out the workflow tweaks - like @Intenditore. We're often able to fit these into the road map a bit quicker, and these can have a huge difference in improving your efficiency and enjoyment of Cinema 4D. 

@Intenditore - thanks for your specific suggestions. I'm very familiar with your suggestions, and sorry we haven't directly responded to your feedback. You've got some great ideas for improving the animation workflow. BTW - some color coding is already possible though a bit hidden. In the Timeline prefs, you can change Track Color from "No Color" to either "Pos/Scale/Rot" or "Track Color". The last option will allow you to set the color in the AM when selecting a track.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick, just a stupid Noob’s question about features: why are there so many popular plugins like HB modeling, whose features are not integrated in C4D? Is this because the features are not deemed “strategic enough” or because there are real technical limitations  that you can’t overcome without disrupting other parts of the program for the time being? I know nothing about tech stuff and programming but when I see that there is a “point to circle” script that saves me hours when I need to punch 20 holes in a surface (quite typical in hard surface jobs), I just wonder why such a script couldn’t be added by default to C4d. 
thanks 

9 hours ago, blastframe said:

Hi! @DMcGavran , @Igor,@srek, & @RBarrett

Besides better responses to bug reports labeled as 'Suggestions and Ideas for MAXON,' is there any progress on the collection of user Feature Requests for future versions of Cinema 4D?

I've been talking to different animators who participated in the #MovingColin contest who have some really good ideas on ways to make character animation in the Timeline better after the experience. I suggested the Bug Report route to them to get these ideas to you, but I still feel like this is a poor, black box way to submit user feedback. A dedicated web site would be great, but something as simple as a Feature Request forum on C4DCafe with polls & discussions would be a better temporary solution than the bug report model: more formal than a Wishlist thread that gets outdated & forgotten with every release, more user-friendly in the presentation of an idea, and of little-to-no cost to MAXON.

It sounds like you're aware of the need & benefits, I just was curious if something is being implemented as it has come up again.

With much gratitude, thank you!

We are building out a new support system internally that will handle feature suggestions and reports as well.  I would tune into to the Sept Motion Show for updates on some of these for sure.  https://www.3dmotionshow.com

On 2/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, Igor said:

I am more than open to ideas how to improve on C4D Cafe.

I am surprised that MAXON dont have more direct involvement with the Cafe. A community centre where you can come and get direct help with a problem, get the news, maybe a giveaway, a competition, a route to speak to the bigwigs would surely be worth its weight in gold to a product like C4D. Literally the only reason I am a C4D user is because of the Cafe, and because you could get help from Nigel (sometimes pretty acerbic help, but you learned to enjoy that pretty quickly). Now you can pretty much rely on Cafe mods and regulars to help with problems in a way you simply can't with any other software. I wish Substance had a place like this, or Octane, or any Adobe product, you name it.

Maybe I have missed something and there is already an arrangement? We are so close - I am posting just below Rick and Dave themselves and this kind of engagement is great, long may it continue. 

@DMcGavran I agree, it is really sad to see that there seems to be no incentive from MAXON side to pimp up Cafe. For example, you won't find any mention of cafe on MAXON twitter or facebook which is a clear sign of some bad blood. I highly doubt it is Cafe people who are causing this since they offer help for literally nothing. some time ago I asked the owner for help with project and got a ncie solution - free of charge

Folks, Cafe is sponsored by MAXON. Without that it would be really difficult to offer all the services we have and even exist. Maybe it goes unnoticed but Cafe is rarely offline, spam free (although this is daily struggle), full of valuable answers, scenes, people eager to help and most importantly still very positive place. Still, there is room for improvement and we will make some new announcements in September after most people are returned from vacation. There are few logistical issues left but we plan to run challenges again among other things 🙂

IMHO....the Cafe is a rarity on the internet.  Personally, I am NOT a big fan of social media in all its forms.  The best compliment I ever received was that I have a low internet footprint.  The Cafe is the only place which I visit regularly and I do so for a number of reasons:

1. Helpful tips 
  2. Polite and friendly members.
  3. Great access to some true masters of the program (and this compliment goes beyond the moderators who truly are "masters" but to the entire C4D eco system of tutorial and plugin developers as well as everyday users that populate the Cafe).
  4. Great tutorials and free plugins, etc.
  5. Tremendous and inspiring gallery.
  6. Latest news from MAXON
  7. It is always a positive place that stays on topic of C4D or graphics in general.  The events of the outside world rarely creep into the Cafe (afaik) which makes it a nice escape to a better place.
  8. The moderators do a masterful job of keeping conversations open and free but also respectful.   I mean, we have a Houdini and Blender thread going.  In that discussion, you do actually learn a lot about C4D and how it compares (which I think is positive to the C4D community).  The fact that it exists at all is unique because other sites would treat any discussion of a competitor's program as apostacy and have all those involved sacked.  
  9. Access to MAXON leadership.  Hopefully, they find this place as inviting as I do despite the robust dialogue that may be created over features and {...ahem...} pricing.  Just remember that we all come from the same place:  a love for C4D...and Redshift.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Thank you guys so much. Its amazing to read these post, as I tend to forget all of that for some reason. And of course thanks Maxon and Dave for helping out. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Thank you guys so much. Its amazing to read these post, as I tend to forget all of that for some reason. And of course thanks MAXON and Dave for helping out. 🙂 

image.thumb.png.34e8da8d3bad795602644d087c5fd786.png

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I just posted a suggestion using MAXON's ticket system. I'm not seeing much difference in this from the issue I saw in my original post over a year ago. Feature recommendations are still very buried and unaddressed, even though there may be a new support system internally. Could you please offer a better solution for customers to suggest, vote on, and discuss new features with product managers & developers? For example, there are some missing features in the Timeline and XRef systems that could greatly benefit Cinema 4D and make it much more usable in animation pipelines. It's free market research. It's also tough when you see it happening for other applications and not Cinema 4D. I love you guys and Cinema 4D, so this is coming from a place of wanting things to be better. Thank you!