Jump to content

Dear Visitors

If your confirmation email doesn't arrive, give us some time while we manually approve your account. Support ticket is not necessary, we are checking new registrations regularly and approving if registration requirements are met.

Please read Rules & Guidelines before posting around Forums. Information we seek is minimal and in the end saves us a lot of time and we are able to provide solutions faster.

Please consider supporting us via Contributions for all the work we are doing. Contributing even with the smallest amount, will remove ALL AD's and unlock some nice features like being able to be Tipped for providing help, or file etc.


PolyDup


dast

Recommended Posts

PolyDup

(I am open for suggestion for a suitable name, as well as for icon, images, ...)

2056241353_PolyDupBanner(small).png.0d4b54be86c7f2c41e0f69b7794147c2.png

 

Description:

PolyDup is a tool plugin which allows to easily select part of a mesh and replace polygon(s) of the mesh with a duplicate of this part. The concept is the same as with PolyGnome, where you can replace polygon(s) of a mesh with predefined asset objects, allowing to construct meshes from parts. The difference with PolyDup is that you do not need to create asset objects. The selected part of the mesh will represent the asset. With this you will be able to easily duplicate parts of a mesh, without the need to model it more than once.

 

Status:

The plugin is still in its design phase.

It will reuse the modelling engine from PolyGnome, so that part is basically available as is and will only need fine tuning for the new purpose of this plugin.

While PolyGnome was a command (= "single-shot" action), this new PolyDup plugin will be a multiple action tool.

 

Development of the plugin will be in Cinema4D R20 (Windows) and ported to other releases of Cinema4D, both Windows and macOS.

 

Release Date:

11 July 2020

 

Supported Cinema4D releases and platforms:

R16-R21

Windows, macOS

 

Price:

20 euros

 

 

A short video description of the plugin:

 

 

More Info available at:

https://tolspixels.be/plugins

 

 

View full record

 

Link to comment
  • Community Staff

RepliGON maybe :oregonian_winesmiley:

 

Nice idea Daniel. Do you mean something on mesh level only (simple copy of polyisland on another place of existing mesh/hole based on the same edge loop etc. or some procedural setup? Something like cloner, but with less setings for adjusting? (copy some polyislands in linear/array mode)

Link to comment
On 1/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, bezo said:

Do you mean something on mesh level only (simple copy of polyisland on another place of existing mesh/hole based on the same edge loop etc. or some procedural setup? Something like cloner, but with less setings for adjusting? (copy some polyislands in linear/array mode)

 

Yes, it will be on mesh level only. You select "source" polygons on a mesh and select "target" polygons on that same (or other) mesh to replicate the source polygons to.

Not procedural, not cloner-like.

Although, this procedural/cloner-like thing might be an idea for a different plugin: where you specify source and target polygons, and changes applied to the source (like move, rotate, scale, extrude, ...) gets also applied to the target ones. That might be a nice idea, but quite more complex to implement.

Link to comment
  • Igor featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Here is a first rough concept.

 

Currently the concept tool uses already existing polygon selections as source and target.

In final version the idea is to create your polygon selections with the same tool which you use to designate source and targets.

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, bezo said:

polyselections as source "presets"?

What do you mean by that?

The idea I had was to use the tool to select a set of polygons to be copied. The you could select polygons on the same mesh, or other mesh, to paste the copied polygons to. But I would go further, and allow to "store" more than one source. You could copy and store up to 5 sources, and paste any of them on any mesh. I wouldn't go futher than this, otherwise I would just be copying the PolyGnome plugin.

This PolyDup plugin (while using the idea behind PolyGnome) is just meant to quickly select polygons and copy them. So, the user wouldn't have to bother with the steps to create assets (or presets) from these selected polygons. Just select polygons, use the tool to indicate these are the source, select other polygons and indicate these are the targets ... and the source gets copied to the targets.

Link to comment
  • Community Staff
18 hours ago, C4DS said:

What do you mean by that?

The idea I had was to use the tool to select a set of polygons to be copied. The you could select polygons on the same mesh, or other mesh, to paste the copied polygons to. But I would go further, and allow to "store" more than one source. You could copy and store up to 5 sources, and paste any of them on any mesh. I wouldn't go futher than this, otherwise I would just be copying the PolyGnome plugin.

This PolyDup plugin (while using the idea behind PolyGnome) is just meant to quickly select polygons and copy them. So, the user wouldn't have to bother with the steps to create assets (or presets) from these selected polygons. Just select polygons, use the tool to indicate these are the source, select other polygons and indicate these are the targets ... and the source gets copied to the targets.

 

...yes, with polyselections as presets I was meant "stored" parts of mesh for later use in selection sets tags.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Igor said:

Daniel, thats quite interesting concept. I like it very much! Keep on making it better!

Thanks for the interest.

 

1 hour ago, bezo said:

 

...yes, with polyselections as presets I was meant "stored" parts of mesh for later use in selection sets tags.

Ok, then we're on the same page 👍

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

First beta version of the plugin is available. Currently only for Cinema4D R20, running on Windows.

Short "tutorial" showing the current state of the plugin:

 

EDIT:

The uploaded beta and link to the video have been removed here, and added at the bottom of the first post.

 

 

Please provide feedback ...

Link to comment
  • Community Staff

Hi Daniel,

Just little question. I just tried your plugin inside R20Demo and don´t know if it´s c4d demo restriction or by plugin, but when I follow your steps, with moving mouse over mesh for copy there is not full line over edge and when click Ctrl and left click, I see transparent line over mesh for copy, but another selections for paste are deselected...

And mesage from console

 ------

PolyDup - failed to extract the part of the mesh
PolyDup - failed to write the extract file: D:\CG2\MAXON R20 Demo\plugins\PolyDup\Extracts\extract.c4d

 -------

 

Ahh, now I see...

Since it´s demo of c4d, there´s not allowed to write to any file, Ok, solved...

 

I´ll try in commercial R20 version, but just another question. Is posible to rotate copied mesh to destination place? Or there is some rule for placing copied mesh?

 

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, bezo said:

with moving mouse over mesh for copy there is not full line over edge and when click Ctrl and left click, I see transparent line over mesh for copy, but another selections for paste are deselected...

 

 

 

Since it´s demo of c4d, there´s not allowed to write to any file, Ok, solved...

 

Is posible to rotate copied mesh to destination place? Or there is some rule for placing copied mesh?

 

 

Thanks for the feedback and questions.

For your first point I would like to ask for some screenshot, as I am not exactly following what you mean.

Concerning writing of the files I have no idea if this is a limitation of the demo version of C4D. It is also possible some windows settings prevent for writing in that particular location. It would be useful to find out what the cause is. And that is the reason I provide the demo for anyone to try out, providing me feedback in return in order to fix such issue if there is one.

As shown and mentioned in the video, the plugin will try to rotate the pasted polygons as to orient them according to your target selection.

With PolyGnome you had to manually provide the rotation before welding the asset into the destination mesh. With PolyDup the orientation is calculated.

 

Link to comment
  • Igor unfeatured this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • LATEST ACTIVITIES

    1. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    2. 3

      Angle difference between 2 matrices

    3. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    4. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

    5. 462

      Cinema R25 Release

×
×
  • Create New...

Copyright Core 4D © 2021 Powered by Invision Community