PolyDup

dast

6 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

... But what I really love about PolyDup is the ability to merge the open ended selections in various combinations of new "closed" geometry which could then be saved in Polygnome.  If you integrate PolyDup into Polygnome, you could really create modeling libraries of infinite variety very quickly.

Sorry, you've lost me there.

The only difference at this point in time is that PolyDup can automatically detect how to orient the to-be-pasted geometry for a best fit, and it allows interactive rotation of the to-be-pasted geometry. Apart from that PolyGnome is identical, and has a whole library management.

I do intend to extend PolyGnome to have auto-orient, interactive-rotation, and preview ... but I don't expect this to still happen before Q3 2020.

I am really trying to picture your "merge the open ended selections in various combinations of new "closed" geometry" ... but it draws a blank.

Care to elaborate what you mean?

3 hours ago, C4DS said:

Sorry, you've lost me there.

The only difference at this point in time is that PolyDup can automatically detect how to orient the to-be-pasted geometry for a best fit, and it allows interactive rotation of the to-be-pasted geometry. Apart from that PolyGnome is identical, and has a whole library management.

I do intend to extend PolyGnome to have auto-orient, interactive-rotation, and preview ... but I don't expect this to still happen before Q3 2020.

I am really trying to picture your "merge the open ended selections in various combinations of new "closed" geometry" ... but it draws a blank.

Care to elaborate what you mean?

This video here (from 0:27 onward) is what I am talking about.  Maybe I am mis-interpreting what PolyDup can do more so than Polygnome but I use Polygnome for duplicating "closed" or "solid" objects onto other objects by aligning faces  to faces (put a 2x3 object onto set of selected 2x3 array of polygons).  What I interpret from that video link is that PolyDup can use "open" objects and re-arrange them on their open edges.  That is, the edges (not the faces) can be selected to add another level of PolyDup polygons.  This is best illustrated here:

image.thumb.png.4401d27888ad991a3d21b2c2db052d7e.png

Note that in the re-arranged object on the right, the middle and bottom "open" sections were swapped but you did that by selecting their edges rather (they were open so that there were no faces to select).  Here is the file where I have things better labeled.

PolyDup.c4d

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

What I interpret from that video link is that PolyDup can use "open" objects and re-arrange them on their open edges.  That is, the edges (not the faces) can be selected to add another level of PolyDup polygons

PolyGnome could do this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOAfiZrS9PA

Beta 4 available for download (at bottom of first post).

While my current main focus is on developing for R20 (the latest version I am happily using) I do have spend the necessary time to port the plugin to versions R16 to R21, both for Windows and macOS. Unfortunately, a bug in R16 (maybe R17 as well) seems to interfere with pasting geometry.

As said, for now I am focusing on R20, and will look for a workaround for the R16-R17 bug later on ... if there would be any interest for these versions.

I have no access to S22, so cannot test if the R21 version of the plugin will run on that subscription version.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding some features to the control widget.

Next to the already available rotation adjustment it does now also allow to manipulate positioning and scaling of the injected extract.

Right now you can move in X, Y and Z, rotate around Z, and scale in Z. Holding <shift> will quantize the movement, rotation, scale.

Double clicking a control item will reset the X, Y, Z position, rotation or scale.

There are still a few extra options I want to add before finalizing the plugin.

1328636930_Widget1.thumb.png.ab5ff38f18b892406f4e3880877dc195.png

I have added a few more options to the navigation widget.

Here's a demonstration video showing the possibilities.

Numeric inputs have been provided in the tool's Attribute Manager, allowing for fine tuning the position, scale, rotation.

Quantization is available as well (using shift key during drag), with custom quantize values.

Next I will be working on the documentation, before releasing the plugin to the public. Coming soon ...

PolyDup v1.0 is done.

Documentation finalized, implementation ported to R16 - R21, both on Windows and macOS.

Plugin banner created and website updated (see first post).

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, 3D-Pangel said:

Polygnome and PolyDup are really complimentary modeling tools and meant to go together (IMHO). 

... But what I really love about PolyDup is the ability to merge the open ended selections in various combinations of new "closed" geometry which could then be saved in Polygnome.  If you integrate PolyDup into Polygnome, you could really create modeling libraries of infinite variety very quickly.

It took some time, but I am in the process of building a "bridge" between PolyGnome and PolyDup.

I would like to be able to send objects from PolyDup's slots to PolyGnome's library ... and vice versa.

It is still early in the process, but right now I have a working concept to retrieve PolyDup's extracts from within PolyGnome's Junkyard dialog, and stored it in the library. What is still left to do is get some thumbnail generated.

So, expect some updates on these plugins in the near future.

First beta of bridging PolyDup and PolyGnome is in process of being completed.

A short video demonstration the workflow:

@3D-Pangelinterested in beta-testing this update for both plugins?

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community