Knowsman Nose - Noseman Knows Tutorials

• Guest featured this topic

Thanks, Nose Man!  I went through the whole thing twice, following all your steps exactly, but I can't get the Rangemap to do its job to reverse the data.  My spheres look just like yours before the Rangemap (kinda lumpy and squished in the wrong places), but when I add it and adjust the Max Output to negative, it's like the Smoothing is just turned off.  Any ideas?  I'm on R20- not sure if it only works in R21, but I don't know why that would be.  Has anyone else tried it in R20?

I've attached my project file if that's helpful.

Thanks!

Sphere Packing Problem- Nate v1.c4d

Recently I pinned a reply on the Youtube Chat.

If you're on R20, the Volume builder, by default, has remapping ON. You need to turn OFF remapping for the Volume Builder Field.

R21 does that by default. I missed that difference in the original recording.

Let me know if it worked.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:04 AM, noseman said:

Recently I pinned a reply on the Youtube Chat.

If you're on R20, the Volume builder, by default, has remapping ON. You need to turn OFF remapping for the Volume Builder Field.

R21 does that by default. I missed that difference in the original recording.

Let me know if it worked.

Thanks!  Yes, this solved my problem!  I was still confused why this didn't work by just using the Remapping tab of the Volume Builder Field.  I tried "Invert" next to "Strength," but that didn't do the right thing.  Then I happened upon this solution- Set the Max to -15 (you have to type it in) and uncheck "Clamp Max."  I did an A-B comparison of the two options and I get the exact same result as with the Rangemap layer.  Just thought I'd throw that out there if people want to simplify the number of Field layers in their project.  I'll admit that the Rangemap is more intuitive to me, though.

image.thumb.png.13bc86e7e6c53eabf5cf13b5ef01c0ac.png

yes, this produces the same result. I did the whole thing in R21, which defaults to Remapping OFF for Volume Fields.

The main thing is to understand:

1. what the data is:

SDFs have negative non-normalized distance values inside the volume.

2. How to use the data:

I want to create a "3D mask" (Field) from 0-1, where 1 is the selection I'm going to apply the Smoothing on.

So I want the negative values to become 1 and the positive 0 (no selection). Therefore, first of all I need to negate the Volume Value, so that negative becomes positive. Then I need to apply "contrast" by compressing the distance values to 1 (range mapper is a "data contraster" and compresses the value gradient).

You can do the same thing using remapping, or many other ways...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community