Exporting FBX files for Spark AR is causing distortion on the models

I have a couple of animated and rigged characters that were given to me to make an instagram filter using Spark AR. They look fine in Cinema 4D but the problem is that when I export them to Spark AR in .fbx, they are horribly deformed. I've tried cleaning up the rigs (they had nulls inside them), baking the animations in, auto-weighting the rigs and nothing works. Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

It imports into Modo and C4D fine and animates as it should.  Its hard to totally tell from the image you posted but is it the mesh that messed up or the joints, even both.

Can you get a character out if Spark AR, I wonder what version of FBX Spark uses and what specs it requires?  I see Spark AR requires fbx 2014. 2015, are you using these versions?

Maybe you can explain to me what Spark AR is, maybe I can do some tests myself to see whats going on?

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Solved it! It has to do with joint orientation.

I usually build my rigs with joints aligned to Z-axis (each joints Z-axis points down the rig to the next joint and Y-axis pointing up). I noticed Blender rigs worked fine, but their rigs seems to be aligned on the X-axis (with Z-axis down?). I switched up my rig and now things work. Hope this helps!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community