Blender Tests and Impressions

CApruzzese

14 minutes ago, FLima said:

I think that is the best approach to have Janine 🙂  And I hope you only continue to learn even more about the software.
For me, as an artist, I love to have options. I have 18 years of experience with C4D, so a lot of the experiments I wanna make, it becomes natural, I can think directly about the result I want, and the steps I make are almost instant, since I know the software very well.  
The pricing thing is becoming a nightmare unfortunately. I am a subscriber, but I think it is extremely unfair to people who has perpetual license, to keep them from using the latest version and updates the software has to offer... 

Some of the things from Blender keeps me from using it fully though, like I mentioned before, its dope sheet and graph editor, for me at least, is a nightmare. I love making loops, walk cycles and easy repetitions, and with C4D, one click and you can set up a whole chain of objects to repeat, which is impossible in Blender 😞

I love the competition though, I think it will push more and more the paid softwares to observe things that works really well in Blender, like Eevee and the character animation setup. For now, C4D will stay as my commercial software of choice.

Yeah so far I've only animated simple stuff, and I'm not a character animator so I hope it won't be quite as painful for me. 😉  

Indeed I think competition is good for innovation, I also think it's great that so many new people are picking up 3d, no matter what software. I like teaching so that's good for me. 🙂 I hope people at MAXON are watching closely, there's a lot of opportunities currently for companies to show they care, throw your customers a bone... I'm a fan of paying it forward, that's something that MAXON should really think about instead of screwing over their most loyal customers... It'll pay off in the end. I know there's good people working there, I'm sure they do care. They're just not allowed to post their true opinions on the forum. 😉 

It's interesting to hear your opinion on this Janine : )
Re Blender:  The one thing that has deterred me from learning it is the 'undo situation'. From what I've read undo can be a real issue if you're dealing with big files - lots of polys / objects - which is typically my situation. I'm not sure if this is a 'fundamental / architecture' type issue that will not be solved - at least in the mid term, or not. Any thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, MikeA said:

It's interesting to hear your opinion on this Janine : )
Re Blender:  The one thing that has deterred me from learning it is the 'undo situation'. From what I've read undo can be a real issue if you're dealing with big files - lots of polys / objects - which is typically my situation. I'm not sure if this is a 'fundamental / architecture' type issue that will not be solved - at least in the mid term, or not. Any thoughts on that?

As far as I have heard, the undo situation is known and is currently being addressed.

Also, isn't the "Everything nodes" project going to change the animation fundamentally anyway? So, maybe we can just wait for Blender 2.90 to deliver. (Disclaimer: I haven't used any of the recent alphas and am just starting in Blender anyway 🐱 )

I like Blender. I also used it casually even before 2.8+
What I don't like it is its rigging implementation. 
It's too rigid. Hope they get rid of that "Edit Bones" and "Pose Bones" modes. 

They also don't have a real-time python compiler or something. (C4D equivalent is Python Tag or Python Node). 
It will be implemented using animation nodes but its not yet for production use. 

So far, I can take risk on Modelling, Shading and Rendering in Blender but I can't for Rigging.

5 minutes ago, bentraje said:

I like Blender. I also used it casually even before 2.8+
What I don't like it is its rigging implementation. 
It's too rigid. Hope they get rid of that "Edit Bones" and "Pose Bones" modes. 

They also don't have a real-time python compiler or something. (C4D equivalent is Python Tag or Python Node). 
It will be implemented using animation nodes but its not yet for production use. 

So far, I can take risk on Modelling, Shading and Rendering in Blender but I can't for Rigging.

Character rigging is a bit of  mess I've found. They are moving fast with its of changes so I think even in another 6 months it might be very different. As behind as C4D is with some rigging and character stuff, it's fairly easy to  set up and with plugins even easier. 

I like Blender a lot more than C4D for everything, but Mograph and Xparticles.  If there is something in Blender that I find hard I find out later I tried to do it wrong.  Got to think more Blender and it ends up being easier than in C4D.

There is nothing in Blender that drives me up a wall like in C4D.  The things that drove me crazy in C4D were lack of multiple UV maps for light mapping, the timeline literally taking seconds to simply scroll or zoom in and out in some cases (now fixed in S22), subscription which I will never pay for, getting something finished then working just as hard to export it because of C4D sucky exports, slow as tar character animation, endless list of stuff in object manager, Blender you click on what you want rarely going to a list, rendering in C4D taking forever for decent results with any of the built in render engines, bunch of tools in C4D like bool which still only use a single core, I'm not sure bool uses multi core in Blender but its fast, making drawing on a character in C4D super hard to set up if not using the magic set up, no decent way to retopo a sculpt, no dynamesh so sculpting could be done decently, C4D material nodes being super laggy, I could go on and on here.

In Blender I don't have any of those problems.  *mic drop*

*Creeps back and stage and picks up mic again* Now to help out others.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, CApruzzese said:

Cycles is pretty slow! I'll be using C4D and my 80+ plugins for it in the near future for most things but there is potential with Blender.

You need a good video card.  What kind of hardware and OS are you running?

On 5/7/2020 at 7:42 AM, FLima said:

Resurrecting this topic, since I've return to Blender for my personal experiments/character animation..
Has anyone managed to adapt to Blender's Dope Sheet/Graph Editor during animation?
I find it extremely clumky... cant select an object by name on dope sheet and automatically select its keyframes....  
it has a very weird behaviour. In c4d, the animation process just flows nicely...

Has anyone struggled with that also? 

Click on the object or objects in viewport and all the keys appear in the graph.  I find it much easier than scrolling though a bunch of names in C4D.  Thinking of scrolling through all those names in C4D is giving me some post traumatic stress.

23 hours ago, Shrike said:

Working with a modeller on Blender who has always used it, I noticed that it also has a lot of downsides like cinema or any software.

Some things you think are given in cinema seem like a godsend in blender. If you want to use a cylinder in blender, then change the amount of sides - you do that once, then its editable when you move it once. You cant stay with primitives and just change their size later without making them editable.

If you want to keep the primatives primatives  Wonder Mesh.  I hear something like this is going to built into Blender in a future build, but for now the plugin looks pretty good.

How long does it take using Blender before you develop a paralysis in the muscles on the left side of your neck and your head drops down involuntarily to one side, and an inane sickly smile spreads across your face and you have the uncontrollable urge to go up to everyone you meet and say " You need to bring our Lord Blender into your life " ?..and is there any danger you will develop an insatiable craving to load a copy of Bryce up ?

What I would like o know from the Blender users: if you totally ignore costs - where does Blender beat C4D - and vice versa?
What would be your top 5 things where Blender beats Cinema, and what would be your top 5 things where Cinema beats Blender?

7 hours ago, MikeA said:

What I would like o know from the Blender users: if you totally ignore costs - where does Blender beat C4D - and vice versa?
What would be your top 5 things where Blender beats Cinema, and what would be your top 5 things where Cinema beats Blender?

Blender beats Cinema so much so it's hard to pick top 5, but here it is:

- Cycles/Eevee

- All files import and export waaaaaaay better.  My jaw dropped the first time I imported a fbx in Blender and it had all the materials and quads.  I didn't think that was possible working with the fbx importer of C4D.

- Snapping tool functions right

- Everything character animation.  From the NLA, rigging, to the speed it's all better.

- The community.  There are so many in the community because it's free.  If it's not built in someone made a low cost or free plugin.  People are super willing to help.

Cinema beats Blender

- Mograph

- Xparticles

- Easier to find tools if you are a noob.  If I didn't start with C4D I would never be able to know what to search for in Blender.  Blender has a lot of hidden functions that I would never know to search for if I didn't know it should exist.  After learning how to access the tool I learn not only does Blender have it, but it's better in Blender.

- Nicer looking interface

- My years of experience already using C4D.  This makes me very good with C4D.  It made the choice of switching hard.  Now I'm using Blender it seems like someone turned on easy mode.

• Guest changed the title to Blender Tests and Impressions
  • Guest featured this topic
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic