Blender Tests and Impressions

CApruzzese

20 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Blender beats Cinema so much so it's hard to pick top 5, but here it is:

- Cycles/Eevee

- All files import and export waaaaaaay better.  My jaw dropped the first time I imported a fbx in Blender and it had all the materials and quads.  I didn't think that was possible working with the fbx importer of C4D.

- Snapping tool functions right

- Everything character animation.  From the NLA, rigging, to the speed it's all better.

- The community.  There are so many in the community because it's free.  If it's not built in someone made a low cost or free plugin.  People are super willing to help.

Cinema beats Blender

- Mograph

- Xparticles

- Easier to find tools if you are a noob.  If I didn't start with C4D I would never be able to know what to search for in Blender.  Blender has a lot of hidden functions that I would never know to search for if I didn't know it should exist.  After learning how to access the tool I learn not only does Blender have it, but it's better in Blender.

- Nicer looking interface

- My years of experience already using C4D.  This makes me very good with C4D.  It made the choice of switching hard.  Now I'm using Blender it seems like someone turned on easy mode.

Soooo..........based on the fact that C4D's interface is so much easier to use,  logically consistent, and well designed would it be fair to draw the following conclusion from your experience:  A good path for the newbie is to start with C4D's subscription program, learn the basics and mechanics of 3D using C4D, and then armed with that knowledge switch over to Blender where they get better features at a cheaper price?

Sooooo.....MAXON's subscription program has actually made it cheaper and easier for newbies to be successful with Blender?

Wow...I never would have seen that coming. 😀

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, Fastbee said:

Click on the object or objects in viewport and all the keys appear in the graph.  I find it much easier than scrolling though a bunch of names in C4D.  Thinking of scrolling through all those names in C4D is giving me some post traumatic stress.

I hear ya.. but you can simply click on the objects in the C4D viewport and automatically see its keyframes too. 
This is okay when you have a very pre-defined and big things to select, but when you have little eyebrown or several small elements, and you want to edit all its keyframes as fast as possible, you need to be able to select it just by name, like you can do it in C4D... it makes no sense why it has to be this complicated in Blender. 

Also when you want to add a loop to certain keyframes, you need to select individually on which item you want to add the modifier "cycle" for instance... axis X of foot controller. then Y axis of foot controller..     
You cant just select a whole group of things and set "repeat forever/oscilate" and be done with it.

There is awesome things on Blender, I actually like rigging on it more than C4D, and the auto weight, just WORKS! 
In C4D , it is always a gamble..  I try so many different auto-weight settings, and C4D never gets it right on the first time...  Im now using mixamo to set bones and skins on my characters since C4D cant do it properly... 
And I think Blender has a very bright future ahead.. but yeah, animation, is not good 😞
A lot can be done by experienced users for sure, but after you use C4D, and see how straightfoward it is, it is difficult to adapt.

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Soooo..........based on the fact that C4D's interface is so much easier to use,  logically consistent, and well designed would it be fair to draw the following conclusion from your experience:  A good path for the newbie is to start with C4D's subscription program, learn the basics and mechanics of 3D using C4D, and then armed with that knowledge switch over to Blender where they get better features at a cheaper price?

Sooooo.....MAXON's subscription program has actually made it cheaper and easier for newbies to be successful with Blender?

Dave

He is just talking that with experience you know better what to search for.

7 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Dave

I'd suggest someone start with C4D with a free educational version, so it doesn't cost them anything, then switch to Blender when that runs out, so they don't have to pay anything.

7 hours ago, FLima said:

I hear ya.. but you can simply click on the objects in the C4D viewport and automatically see its keyframes too. 
This is okay when you have a very pre-defined and big things to select, but when you have little eyebrown or several small elements, and you want to edit all its keyframes as fast as possible, you need to be able to select it just by name, like you can do it in C4D... it makes no sense why it has to be this complicated in Blender. 

Also when you want to add a loop to certain keyframes, you need to select individually on which item you want to add the modifier "cycle" for instance... axis X of foot controller. then Y axis of foot controller..     
You cant just select a whole group of things and set "repeat forever/oscilate" and be done with it.

There is awesome things on Blender, I actually like rigging on it more than C4D, and the auto weight, just WORKS! 
In C4D , it is always a gamble..  I try so many different auto-weight settings, and C4D never gets it right on the first time...  Im now using mixamo to set bones and skins on my characters since C4D cant do it properly... 
And I think Blender has a very bright future ahead.. but yeah, animation, is not good 😞
A lot can be done by experienced users for sure, but after you use C4D, and see how straightfoward it is, it is difficult to adapt.

For selecting things easier you could use the Picker Panel in Auto Rig Pro or Skin Selection.  Whichever you like better.

If you are in the graph editor in Blender objects can be selected, then select all the keys in the graph, now go to Key > Add F-Curve Modifier > Cycles or whatever you like, make sure Only Active is unchecked to apply to all.  I personally don't really like that it is applied to each X, Y individually.  Something like Automatic Walk Cycles  is more my game.  Shift+D can also be used to quickly duplicate frames.  Combined Automatic Walk Cycles with Walker and it's basically C-Motion.  Blender also has the NLA where it's easy to say repeat forever.  I personally never used the C4D "repeat forever/oscilate" in keyframes.  I did think C-motion and the Vibrate tag was pretty cool.

Motiontrail3D looks really nice.  It's like the motion trails in C4D except way more easily changeable.

6 hours ago, Jops said:

I found that video interesting. In many ways... good and bad.

many plugins cost just 10 to 30€ with flip Fluids to be the most expensive for 76€

Blender 2.82 got the fluid simulator Mantaflow built into Blender.  Not sure it's as good as Flip Fluids, but it might be better than C4Ds built in fluid sim.

It's crazy the amount of new features they put in 2.82.  This video is showing all the new features from only 3 months of development.  Compare that to the features of S22 which is 6 months of development.

21 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

It's crazy the amount of new features they put in 2.82.  This video is showing all the new features from only 3 months of development.  Compare that to the features of S22 which is 6 months of development.

Let's be fair: development is overlapping, so some features may have been in development for much longer than 3 months, and only now make it into a release. I have heard about Mantaflow quite a time ago already.

Just like MAXON's new core took a lot more time than the 6 months for the current release to be implemented.

Are blender forums so poor that no one uses them ? What is this craving with people trying to push blender in a cinema 4d forum ? There is clearly some personal psychology going on here..or maybe it is just that blender forums are a waste of space and users feel the need to tell us how wonderful blender is in this forum

• Guest changed the title to Blender Tests and Impressions
  • Guest featured this topic
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic