Blender Tests and Impressions

CApruzzese

It is both a reference and it has step by step tutorials.  At 46 hours it has both.  They do walk you through the interface and explain the logic of Blender's interface.   For $17 I thought it was worth the risk to purchase it.  

What is interesting is if you go the web-site to get course information, you will see 12 sections listed.  But once you purchase the course, you get a listing of 19 sections in the tutorial menu - so that does hint that they are adding to the course over time.  I took a screen shot a provided it below:

image.png.4d094376462a26fe51efc41bf0ebe92f.png

Note that they spend two hours on "Understanding Blender" - so I would imagine that is a gentle introduction for newbies into Blender.

Notice that I said "I imagine" when I discussed that chapter.  Here is why.  I ran into a problem with Udemy's streaming capabilities.  During my morning workout, the tutorial would stop after about 4 minutes and a System Administrator message would pop up and say their Engineers are working on it.  Move to another tutorial and it happens again.  After 4 attempts with 4 different tutorials, I switched to Insydium tutorials which always  stream like a champ in glorious 1080P - so I know it is not my network.

Hopefully this is just a temporary problem but if not, then fortunately I can download each course and put it on a USB drive to then watch while working out (I will admit that Samsung TV is amazing -- and very cheap too).  Probably need a 64 Gb drive for the entire course.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Guest unfeatured this topic
On 6/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, 3D-Pangel said:

It is both a reference and it has step by step tutorials.  At 46 hours it has both.  They do walk you through the interface and explain the logic of Blender's interface.   For $17 I thought it was worth the risk to purchase it.  

What is interesting is if you go the web-site to get course information, you will see 12 sections listed.  But once you purchase the course, you get a listing of 19 sections in the tutorial menu - so that does hint that they are adding to the course over time.  I took a screen shot a provided it below:

image.png.4d094376462a26fe51efc41bf0ebe92f.png

Note that they spend two hours on "Understanding Blender" - so I would imagine that is a gentle introduction for newbies into Blender.

Notice that I said "I imagine" when I discussed that chapter.  Here is why.  I ran into a problem with Udemy's streaming capabilities.  During my morning workout, the tutorial would stop after about 4 minutes and a System Administrator message would pop up and say their Engineers are working on it.  Move to another tutorial and it happens again.  After 4 attempts with 4 different tutorials, I switched to Insydium tutorials which always  stream like a champ in glorious 1080P - so I know it is not my network.

Hopefully this is just a temporary problem but if not, then fortunately I can download each course and put it on a USB drive to then watch while working out (I will admit that Samsung TV is amazing -- and very cheap too).  Probably need a 64 Gb drive for the entire course.

Dave

Thank you for posting this Dave. I Jumped in and bought the course for the reduced price as well. I am done with Chapter 1-3 at this point and I've started Chapter 4. Up until this point everything has been explained very well and in necessary detail. I've started a text file with shortcuts as well because the existing cheat sheets for Blender seem to be mostly trash.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Interesting.  The comment that it is ONLY for Blender 2.92 and that to use it for different versions (like 2.93) could create problems has me concerned in that Blender upgrades itself so fast.  I get the sense that Renderman for Blender does not keep up-to-date with Blender's release cycle and as such limits the time that it is useful.  If Renderman for Blender was open-source, then not a concern...but it costs about as much as any other 3rd party rendering application.  

Not sure if keeping up with Blender's release cycle is unique to Renderman or a problem with other 3rd party rendering applications (like Redshift).

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Guest Igor
18 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Interesting.  The comment that it is ONLY for Blender 2.92 and that to use it for different versions (like 2.93) could create problems has me concerned in that Blender upgrades itself so fast.  I get the sense that Renderman for Blender does not keep up-to-date with Blender's release cycle and as such limits the time that it is useful.  If Renderman for Blender was open-source, then not a concern...but it costs about as much as any other 3rd party rendering application.  

Its same with the Houdini. You always need to use correct version. Blender updates to fast so its very hard to follow for some. Also XPU and S&T are only for payed licenses, but not for free non commercial use. On the other hand, its possible to send mail to Pixar and ask for evaluation license which will enable those two and then you can decide will you make a purchase or not. Not sure why is that, but thats the way how it works with RM. Also RM is really hard to dive into as it is very complex and do some things differently that we are use to. For example you need to use .tex files for your textures, which means you need to convert your maps to be able to use them with RM. On the other hand, its super flexible.

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

The comment that it is ONLY for Blender 2.92 and that to use it for different versions (like 2.93) could create problems has me concerned in that Blender upgrades itself so fast.

I do wonder why this release is for 2.92 and not for 2.93 which is the dedicated LTS version. I'd think that a studio rather uses a long term support version for projects (as they are less likely to break some behavior but still receive bugfixes). If I bought a commercial renderer, I'd want to keep it over at least the lifetime of my current project...

2 hours ago, Cairyn said:

I do wonder why this release is for 2.92 and not for 2.93 which is the dedicated LTS version. I'd think that a studio rather uses a long term support version for projects (as they are less likely to break some behavior but still receive bugfixes). If I bought a commercial renderer, I'd want to keep it over at least the lifetime of my current project...

I bet they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Makes no sense at all to support the version right before the LTS version.

Guest Igor

It makes sense if they started integration much earlier and then Blender changed something that was to much to deal with later on. So that would be one of the reasons. Blender makes changes to often so probably internally code is also changing and because renderers are so integrated all over the place it could easily be that some change on Blender side was a reason for this decision. There is so much user doesnt see and often its not that easy. On top of that XPU makes things even more complex. One is to deal with only GPU side, or CPU but with XPU, thats another layer of complexity.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

It makes sense if they started integration much earlier and then Blender changed something that was to much to deal with later on.

Sure, but it reduces the use for the end user. The 2.93 is the one which gets all the bugfixes. If I were to buy a renderer, I'd have an eye on that.

(Admittedly, the bugfixes may break the renderer too, but it's less likely.)

(And yes, core changes are a Blender issue - which gets more complex with the depth of integration.)

Blender released 2.93 LTS on June 2nd

Octane released 2.93 compatible plugin June 24

Let's not forget that maxon's update cadence is no longer once-per-year either. 

I'm sure third parties don't relish frequent updates, but the major Blender plugins seem to keep up pretty well.

In addition, we must recognize that no user is forced or compelled to use the latest Blender version.

16 hours ago, Igor said:

It makes sense if they started integration much earlier and then Blender changed something that was to much to deal with later on. So that would be one of the reasons. Blender makes changes to often so probably internally code is also changing and because renderers are so integrated all over the place it could easily be that some change on Blender side was a reason for this decision. There is so much user doesnt see and often its not that easy. On top of that XPU makes things even more complex. One is to deal with only GPU side, or CPU but with XPU, thats another layer of complexity.

Yeah, I understand that. Still, not supporting the ONE version that will be probably the most used (especially in production) until the next LTS comes out is kind of dumb. As @Cairyn said, if I was thinking about buying Renderman that would be a big big no no.

• 1 month later...

HOw far behind is Blender lagging compared to XP or Houdini for vfx and motion work?   I've seen various youtube tutorials for Blender "vfx" and they are absolute crap.  Ironically all the blender people commenting think it's at the level of ILM or something.  Sad.  I was just curious with the nodes they've been implementing if they'll better compete in the fx arena.