Blender Tests and Impressions

CApruzzese

2 minutes ago, luchifer said:

No worries.. Im gonna try to add some screenshots in case its confusing.

You explained it very clearly, I've seen some things about MEL, and how to create custom shortcuts, commands before somewhere, so all of this makes sense. 
Thank you again! 

1 hour ago, MazurBr said:

@luchiferscript works like a charm too, but the way I showed reflects more how most non technical Maya user do - turn on "Echo All Commands" and see what is the MEL command behind the tool we used. This way you don't need to know Python or programming per se. Remember: everything in Maya is a MEL command. Every single tool. 

Anyway, I hope we both helped you see how you can script much more easily in Maya than in Cinema 4D. 

Nice trick!!! The reason I stopped doing MEL example was because 1) I completely forgot about echo 2) While writing I thought Resetting Gizmo would be bad for an animator, In case he moved the pivot for a shoulder or an antenna.

@Pinin Ah yes, Chris Jones! He used to be an avid LightWave user, achieving similar results. But at some point he made the switch to B, and his work got even better.

Here's his famous LightWave eye:

And his Blender version later:

Scary how well done these are. He knows his stuff 🙂

Started the famous donut tutorial last night - man, what a change from C4d.

• Hard to fight that C4d muscle memory. 
  • I use a wacom tablet because of severe RSI, so I'm unsure of how well my hands and fingers will like it the "emulate 3 button mouse" keys.  Felt pretty unnatural coming from holding a single key in Cinema for orbit, pan, etc.
  • At the end of lesson one in the famous donut tutorial series there is a quick tip on how to set the default monkey suzanne on fire. Switching from smoke to fire in the pulldown didn't change anything, much to my annoyance! None of the options did anything different, I'm probably missing something.
  • Managed to crash Blender a LOT last night looking at some of the demo files available on blender.org.  Switching to rendered viewport view, switching denoise to optix = some hard crashes in the demo files.
  • Other demo files loaded with missing assets (no chairs in the classroom). Not ready to put time into troubleshooting that yet.
  • Cycles X in the blender 3 alpha absolutely FLIES on my (finally working) 3080 TI and I saw very little instability while experimenting with changing the de-noising techniques. It's amazing how much a built in GPU renderer in cinema 4d would have done to keep me a happy subscriber. I feel like the speed of Cycles X will lead to more fun for many artists.
  • Eevee demo files were a treat. My god, so much fun to crank out frames with sub 1 second render times with motion blur. Not quite ready for primetime in 3.0 alpha yet, though.

Change is always difficult. We'll see if I can stick with it. I think Cycles X alone is worth exploring Blender for.

52 minutes ago, FLima said:

Thanks for sharing your insight @Papa Lenny
I am so tempted to test Cycles X, but having just two normal gtx 1080...not sure how much improvement I would actualy see. 
But yeah, so many good reviews! 

I would go ahead and download the alpha and a scene or two - Cycles X is ridiculously fast and I have a feeling it will be an improvement even on 2x GTX 1080

1 hour ago, FLima said:

Thanks for sharing your insight @Papa Lenny
I am so tempted to test Cycles X, but having just two normal gtx 1080...not sure how much improvement I would actualy see. 
But yeah, so many good reviews! 

You should test it. This is with my laptop RTX 3060. This scene renders in 22sec in CyclesX in 1920x1200 res. You have 2 cards so should not be much difference.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/611944376

You can also do tuts by this guy. They are only 15minutes so they are good to start. You don't get bored entering into Blender. For example this one:

2 hours ago, Papa Lenny said:

Started the famous donut tutorial last night - man, what a change from C4d.

• I use a wacom tablet because of severe RSI, so I'm unsure of how well my hands and fingers will like it the "emulate 3 button mouse" keys.  Felt pretty unnatural coming from holding a single key in Cinema for orbit, pan, etc

I have my Wacom pen's 3rd button set to 'Middle Click' while using Blender (and C4D) and find it works pretty well for the camera stuff. It still doesn't feel as good as moving the camera in Cinema 4D but its completely fine once you fix that muscle memory up.