Body deformed after FBX import

I have this model I got from a website. It's an animation of a dinosaur.

But after importing in C4D with default settings I see this bulge on its back. See the image.

The model was initially made with 3DMax and exported as FBX.

How to fix it? You can get the model from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw8n9ypb7djubha/diplo.c4d?dl=0

(I've used in the past FBX animations like these and it never happened with other models. I am using R19)

If I delete that controller "controller hip a" which seem to be creating that bulge and play the animation then the body is not deformed anymore but that part of the body becomes static while the rest of the body is animated, making the body elongated. See the second image.

1093 Apr. 17 21.07.jpg

1094 Apr. 17 21.15.jpg

Hi

Inside the (controller hip a/Bone hip object, select this object, shift double click on the weight tag on your Diplo object and go into joints tab within Commands manager.  Now select that object (Bone hip) from the object manager and hit Zero in the Commands.  That bulge will be gone.  If that causes issues its that object that needs dealing with, maybe weight painting it down on the influence.  Max must have had a feature that dont export in the fbx.

PS: I had a quick go and I found selected the Bone hip object and using the weighting brush smooth it right down, seems to look good then.

Dan

dino smooth bone.png

ArtStation    Website 

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Hi

Inside the (controller hip a/Bone hip object, select this object, shift double click on the weight tag on your Diplo object and go into joints tab within Commands manager.  Now select that object (Bone hip) from the object manager and hit Zero in the Commands.  That bulge will be gone.  If that causes issues its that object that needs dealing with, maybe weight painting it down on the influence.  Max must have had a feature that dont export in the fbx.

PS: I had a quick go and I found selected the Bone hip object and using the weighting brush smooth it right down, seems to look good then.

Dan

dino smooth bone.png

After hitting Zero I get this. The bulge goes into another direction. See the first image.

If I go to the Autoweight tab and hit Calculate the problem is fixed...but then the rig is misplaced. See the second image.

I hit CTRL+Z to undo autoweighting, then the mesh seems ok and the rig is aligned to the mesh. But when playing the animation that part of the body is not animated, stays behind (and the back legs are longer now). See the third image.

1095 Apr. 17 22.44.jpg

1096 Apr. 17 22.48.jpg

1097 Apr. 17 22.50.jpg

59 minutes ago, mikoian said:

Seems like it takes a lot of time using the weight tool for smoothing...

Not really.  It took me 2min to smooth by hand.  If you want a more automated method select a polygon loop bang in the middle, and use the U+Y command to expand the polygon selection, or just paint select the polygons.  Open Weight Manager,  go into Commands then select the Mode to be Smooth.  Click apply Selected.  Use the Strength as required.

LFHP7cc.gif

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

3 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Not really.  It took me 2min to smooth by hand.  If you want a more automated method select a look bang in the middle, and use the U+Y command to expand the polygon selection, or just paint select the polygons.  Open Weight Manager,  go into Commands then select the Mode to be Smooth.  Click apply Selected.  Use the Strength as required.

Dan

Now I noticed the back legs are also longer than usual, after importing the FBX. How do I correct that??

Longer because the Joints are stretched, or longer because the weighting is wrong? It sounds like you got a bad export from Max.  It dont help at all that its triangulated.  If it was me and I had Max id check to see the methods its used to deform it.  Also Id check to see if it imports back into Max correctly?

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

8 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Longer because the Joints are stretched, or longer because the weighting is wrong? It sounds like you got a bad export from Max.  It dont help at all that its triangulated.  If it was me and I had Max id check to see the methods its used to deform it.  Also Id check to see if it imports back into Max correctly?

Dan

Well, I don't have 3DSMax (but I do have this .max file so I can't open it).

On 4/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, Rectro said:

Dan

If I change the length of the back legs by modifying the length of the bones rig "Bone right leg" or "Bone left leg" (from "controller hip a"->"Bone hip") that doesn't propagate throughout the animation (seems the animation is baked in keyframes). How do I make it to propagate?

Once keys are set its very destructive you start changing the rig as the keys would also need changing, its a pain. Il upload my quick weighting smooth version, it seemed to look fine, all I did was smooth the weighting for that problem area,

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community