S22 Feature Overview & Discussion

SteveKabuye

Wow! MAXON dropped a hot one when we least expected it!!! S22, new UV tools!!! This is crazy...and they got another update coming up later on this year, am guessing round about Siggraph. Yesus Kristos, MAXON is flaming right now!!

What’s new in Cinema 4D S22:

• New UV Unwrap command for a workflow based on edge selections (Seams). 
  • New, comprehensive settings for the UV Editor, incl. display of UV Seams, Overlaps, Distortions, etc. 
  • New, automatic UV mesh unwrap and relax function: Packing. 
  • Separate menu in the UV Manager for packing UV Islands. 
  • Two new commands: UV Weld and UV Weld and Relax. 
  • UV Pins to permanently affix UV points. 
  • There are no longer separate UV Point and UV Polygon modes (instead the modes Use Point, Use Edge and Use Polygon with which both geometry and UV elements can be edited).

• Re-arranging and use of view filters - presets can be created and other features. 
  • New Hair shading model for the Viewport 
  • Improvement of Viewport display. 
  • New glTF export for real-time web applications 
  • New command for mirroring selections.
  • New functions for the Viewport Renderer (previously Hardware OpenGL). 
  • For the Viewport Renderer (previously Hardware OpenGL) you can now define in detail which scene elements should be included for rendering.
  •  
  • Go ZBrush for the exchange of information between ZBrush and Cinema 4D.
  • Cineware settings are now in the Project settings (and the new Cineware material settings).
  • Automatic recognition of touch-screen devices and deactivation if they malfunction. 
  • Re-organization of the Viewport Display. 
  • When importing Alembic instances you can now select the type of instances that Cinema 4D should generate. 
  • The FBX import can make either FBX material values available as Nodes. 
  • Cinema 4D can now also export materials defined via Material Nodes in FBX. 
  • New color settings dialog for the Texture UV Editor. …
  • The Viewport preferences are now all local. 
  • Similar Viewports can be configured together. 
  • Many new settings for Viewport effects (especially shadows). 
  • Extrude direction is ascertained automatically for the Extrude object. 
  • Use Edge mode: Dbouble-clicking on an edge color will select all adjacent edges. 
  • The Loop (and Ring) Selection tool have several new options. 
  • Selection conversion can now be done with tolerance. 
  • New command for switching between the last two tools used. 
  • Various minor new features for modeling. 
  • The Create Point command has several new settings. 
  • The Close Polygon Hole function has a few new settings. 
  • 2 new settings for the Bridge tool. 
  • Subdivision now also offers subdivision patterns. 
  • New Resolve Non-Manifold command to remove invalid geometry.

• The Edge Cut tool has new settings for creating n-gons. 
  • Additional options have been added to the Untriangulate command. 
  • The Iron tool can now preserve mesh edges. 
  • The Magnet and Brush tools were reworked so their settings are similar and both have been given new settings. 
  • Neues Kopierverhalten von Animations-Keys und -Spuren. 
  • Normal tags can now be created directly in the Phong tag. 
  • The initial state of contraints can now be recorded. 
  • The Substance-Engine now supports textures up to 8k in 16/32 -bit.

Excellent 🙂 Let's use this thread to discuss the exciting new things in it, and see if we can do so without mentioning the S-word, which I hope we can all agree has been comprehensively covered elsewhere...

CBR

Hmmm... so my MSA got me 6 months of r21 (which is a bit buggy on my Mac Pro). So that means no updates, fixes for r21. The option is to convert to subscription but lose ownership of r21. What a deal! I have to check k the language of my MSA but I thought it covered any updates until July 2020 for me - have to see the legal language. I 'should' get a free update to r22... 'should.' But who knows...

Thanks MAXON...

b89la62h00bc.gif

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Not sure why this topic is necessery but ok, if you guys need it, go for it. 🙂 

I think it is just group therapy (anger management)!

I am especially cranky because C4D on Catalina (which I am forced to use because of my 2019 Mac Pro) is crashing randomly with no answer in sight from MAXON. This is the r21 that I "own" that will be left as a bugfest. 

I can't see them fixing r21 now at all - and I don't want a subscription piece of software, I paid full price for a full year MSA in August 2019. 

They also seem to say there will never be a full buy option. 

P.S. With most TV / Movie production shut down I think a lot of subscriptions are about to fall off.

Which part is crashing for you the most? There were plenty of fixes for S22, especially crashes. I am sorry if you are having these issues, for me with Catlina and 2019 MacBook doesnt feel that crashy, so I am curious to hear which parts are crashing the most for you?

9 minutes ago, Igor said:

Which part is crashing for you the most? There were plenty of fixes for S22, especially crashes. I am sorry if you are having these issues, for me with Catlina and 2019 MacBook doesnt feel that crashy, so I am curious to hear which parts are crashing the most for you?

It's pretty random. And not even with complex meshes. I will just select something and it crashes. In general it is mostly time related, it works well for a few hours (3 to 6 hrs), then crash! I did some settings changes MAXON sent but no luck. Meanwhile, none of my other apps crash at all (ie Adobe CC, etc.) Keep sending bug reports but with r22 am I now stuck twisting in the wind? With no bug fix in sight? Hence the crankiness.

Checked my MSA from July 2019:

Thank you for renewing your MSA Subscription. You'll be receiving another year of benefits, including free upgrades and access to Cineversity.

So, I expect a free upgrade to r22 as it falls within the year. Simple as that.

I feel the same way as Renegade. I am not a fan of subscriptions so I renewed my MSA in July as well. Expected ANY updates that became available within the year. This is of course MAXON's way of "gently" nudging people toward the subscription model. I am hoping they will do the right thing and make it available to all users with MSAs. Add to this I turned 65 last year and while I won't fully retire, I don't want to keep paying for something I might not use daily. Don't know why they cant't do both, but i was told R21 would be last time could buy a perpetual license...

As for crashes, I too have been plagued by them. Using Catalina on 2019 iMac. And it seems to be time related as well. I'll leave a C4D scene file open on my Mac. When I come back a few hours later it has crashed!

Wish I could see the S22 Release notes: to see everything they updated Since R21. While I really like the UV updates, I feel this release seems very light on features. and definitely not something that justified a full point release.. max 21.5 . when I see Blender post an update, the list of changes is huge.. check out the 2.8 release notes..  the features MAXON posts about is fairly skimpy IMO and given the size of the team and resources this company has. they should be able to really knock out a lot of improvements in 6 months. BTW I am a subscription fan.

Blender Team, updates are being released every 3 months or so. lots of detailed info into whats happening

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/

Houdini team  has  almost daily change logs of bugfixes and  improvements. from the Houdini team. When I see something like this I feel wow this company is really pushing to improve.

https://www.sidefx.com/changelog/

Fusion 360 team. posts blog and video updates every 2-4 weeks it seems. and make really great constant improvements with alot of user driven requests. 

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/april-2020-product-update-whats-new/

MAXON please I love you guys. Love C4D been using it for 15 years, pick up the pace. be open about the roadmap for features coming down the pipe over the next 18 months, have a user voted feature area. so we can help influence whats happening and feel like we are being heard.  Lets make it so every month there is an update..  R21.1 for January.. R21.2 for Febuary and keep it coming. lets be agile and nimble and open about happening.

I do want to give credit as well. MAXON is increasing the update speed.. 2 per year is a 100% improvement so nice job!, looking forward to more and more updates.

Edited by adamfilip
forgot something (see edit history)
  • Guest changed the title to S22 Feature Overview & Discussion

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community