X Particles, VDB & Octane

Hello,

This topic has been bothering me because I'm so overwhelmed by the stuff I want to learn and the overall process. I hope someone here can shed some light. That being said, I really appreciate this community in helping me through learning C4D. My question now is about VDB & Octane:

Pardon my  ignorance on the subject, but I want purchase and use X-Particles with Octane Render in the future. From what I've seen, you can use X-Particles with Octane's Live Viewer, kind of plug & play sort of speak. You can have those particles collide with objects, all real time rendering, etc.

Now...when it comes to explosiafx, my research shows that Octane Render with Explosiafx is not "real time", in fact what you have to do is export it as a VDB. Now, my question is, lets say I have a complex scene with x-particles and explosiafx simulations, mograph, dynamic objects, using Octane Render. I export the vdb files to octane, play with the settings, done. However, if I need to make an adjustment to lets say x-particles explisiafx simulation itself, either its turbulence, its relationship with the object, etc. What do I have to, do I have to start over from scratch with the vdb files, will the workflow be interrupted with the other objects in the scene?

Could it be that I'm over think this? Like, lets say I have smoke going between text in a scene, I export the vdb to octane, but then I decide to position the text differently, my vdb simulation is off now because the position changed, meaning I have to cache everything again, and replace the files manually, right?

I'm guessing the process is similar to caching [baking] dynamics in Cinema 4D, the only difference is its two separate systems talking to each other, importing one vdb files into another.

Maybe I just answered my own questions, but if you have any thoughts on my rambling, I welcome it. And notes on the matter will greatly help.

Thank you

What X-Particles does is exporting the VDB files into a seperate folder. This seperate folder contains all the VDB files of all the frames you've baked with the XP Cache object. You then use a special volume / vdb object that comes with Octane, load these VDB files and then you can render them.

What you can do is basically set up your scene the way you want it, enable explosiafx, cache it, load the VDB files into the octane volume object, disable explosiafx and render.

Now whenever you want to change something you just reenable the explosiafx object, cache and then the octane volume object will automatically reload these vdb files.

It's a bit fiddly, but it works.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

5 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

What X-Particles does is exporting the VDB files into a seperate folder. This seperate folder contains all the VDB files of all the frames you've baked with the XP Cache object. You then use a special volume / vdb object that comes with Octane, load these VDB files and then you can render them.

What you can do is basically set up your scene the way you want it, enable explosiafx, cache it, load the VDB files into the octane volume object, disable explosiafx and render.

Now whenever you want to change something you just reenable the explosiafx object, cache and then the octane volume object will automatically reload these vdb files.

It's a bit fiddly, but it works.

So its similar to replacing a file with the same name. But lets say I want to lengthen the time of explosiafx simulation.

That would mean in Octane, I would have to update when the frame ends. But if the length doesn't change, then that's not necessary, right?