The 3D Motion Show | July Discussion

Guest Igor

Not to belabor the point....but....err...as I look at it....Neutrino man and Srek look like they could even be related. 

image.thumb.png.0cfc644ab3d3ec6c2ea0f49cea7775cc.png

Heck...they are even looking at each other.

....just saying.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

So far all discussions in this thread seam to be related to the introduction presentation. I missed the live presentation, and only managed to tune in right at the point when the beer o-'clock joke was dropped. Wished I had missed that as well.

Anyway, was able to rewind the stream by half an hour and watch the whole introduction thing. This really didn't wet my appetite to watch any of the next presentations. So ... did I miss anything? Just wondering.

Today is day 2 of those presentations. Yet, I don't see any mention of yesterday's presentations, nor any discussion. Again wondering if there's anything worth to watch?

5 minutes ago, C4DS said:

So far all discussions in this thread seam to be related to the introduction presentation. I missed the live presentation, and only managed to tune in right at the point when the beer o-'clock joke was dropped. Wished I had missed that as well.

Anyway, was able to rewind the stream by half an hour and watch the whole introduction thing. This really didn't wet my appetite to watch any of the next presentations. So ... did I miss anything? Just wondering.

Today is day 2 of those presentations. Yet, I don't see any mention of yesterday's presentations, nor any discussion. Again wondering if there's anything worth to watch?

Well, the Second presentation on the making of "Star Wars: The Last Stand" by Sekani Solomon (found here) I think will be the standout presentation of the day.  Everything about it, from the modeling, lighting, animation, motion graphics, camera work...everything....is just outstanding. 

Really well done.

Dave

P.S. If you can't make the presentation, he did post a making of video here.  No verbal explanation, but just a work flow video.

P.P.S.  What a shame that I got more enjoyment from a 1:43 fan film than I did from the entire final trilogy.  But that's just me.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, stoecklem said:

He did state that the goal was to have the object manager essentially be the same as is, but under the hood it would be Neutron nodes. This sounds great to me.  

IMO nodes are everywhere now in a whole lot of different software.  The benefit is undeniable and you sure don't have to be a TD to get comfortable using nodes.  This is the best way forward and they will of course work hard on making great high end interfaces throughout the software. 

Nodes or not, is not about how interface looks. Its about the functionality. 
In the example of Rick there were range mappers and dozens of nodes to create a tree with few spheres. This is backend work which shouldnt be exposed to users anyways. 

Fields are really complex too but i get something called "spherical falloff" and i drag n drop it. I dont re-create the falloff with nodes or commands. This is c4d not houdini. I have a feeling that this new system will not be backend. I feel it will kinda replace OM "cause of limitations" and this is not a good thing.

My point is c4d shouldnt deviate at all from being a very straight forward and user friendly software for dummies. Cause thats what makes it special. Otherwise i dont wait few years till this is implemented, i could jump to houdini now 😄

You are missing the point Rick made...
You have nodes and there will be object manager which is abstraction of nodes. For example, as shown in demo video you could have a node setup which creates a fish school but that all can be packed into single "fish school effector" let's say and shown in node graph or manager. The point is to enable nodal workflow, not enforce it by any means. Just want to stress that Neutron is awesome and I personally can't wait for release to show what can be done with it 🙂

It's really great news for those that want to create more complex systems without learning a whole new package like houdini, while having ease of use outside nodal environment. Its a smart move because nodal workflow is the way to go in 3d environment.

13 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

You are missing the point Rick made...
You have nodes and there will be object manager which is abstraction of nodes. For example, as shown in demo video you could have a node setup which creates a fish school but that all can be packed into single "fish school effector"

Yes and this is called "scripting" in a way 🙂 
As c4d is right now, u can have access to everything via xpresso/python. Doesnt mean i can write code or understand it. I had same situation in 3dsmax, few years ago. A similar update, with nodes and it was advertised that u can do stuff so easy etc. I couldnt do a single thing, cause this was for TD, not for average user.

As long as it works and boosts cloners/dynamics as they are now in ObjectManager, i would be really happy.
But i wouldnt wanna change any of the simple stuff and start learning advanced techniques or maths in order to have "more clones".
For this, there is already houdini out there, which we dont have to wait years to use a full multithread procedural but complex system.

From what i heard, neutron for OM will take quite some time, probably 2+ years or to be fully functional.

55 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Nobody is forcing you to learn anything new. As said in demo, you will have your usual manager workflow. There is absolutely no "scripting" for you involved if you don't want to dive into nodes 🙂

That's great and the selling point of C4D. I don't get the node fixation. Reason why I like Modo and C4D is that it's more artist friendly. But it's a cool project, reminds me of Softimage ICE.

But with Blender growing a lot around here and Autodesk confirming the Indie license at $250 for next month, C4D will have a hard battle to fight for users around here.

Neuton looks very promissing, even though I would loved to see more examples. I also like MAXON to release information about it. If they hadn't, no one would ever believe that they are still working on faster object handling. As I understand MAXON is doing the real big step here. That is bold and hopefully smart. What makes me a bit sad is, that It looks like it will still need a lot of time to get the tech integrated it into a new object manager. I will have to calculate If I am going to get i into my hands before I retire :). ok. thats a bit of a joke, but it will take quite some time (MAXON folks are very cautious with their words in this regard (which is better then the other way round)). There are many things that I would like to see improved besides the object handling (how do you guys make sphereical effects, hace, smoke and dust?), the chaos of renderengines and materials need to be sorted out. And there is so many other stuff that needs attention not to mention the new features I would like.  I guess we will see some more years of slow improvements. Hopefully to get all the speed and features all together, but when will this be? Therefor I understand maxons push for subscription. Even though I most probably would have kept my MSA, I am not so shure If I will upgrade perpetual for the new price.

best regards

Jops

R22 will be announced at IBC in September. MAXON confirmed that R22 will include all S22 features+new stuff so let's wait...

2 hours ago, Jops said:

the chaos of renderengines and materials need to be sorted out. And there is so many other stuff that needs attention not to mention the new features I would like. 

I fully agree. This reflectance channel is a mess and the 3 different built-in render engines (!!!) are confusing. 

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic