Hello from The Netherlands!

LenMotion

Hello C4Dcafe!

My name is Len, I am a 21 years old Art & Technology student from The Netherlands.

I aspire to become a creatively independent artist someday! I love the storytelling aspect in motion design. Currently I'm striving to harden my skill in creative software, in order to get more control of my imagination. And to make things that are just pretty, I guess..

Besides learning about the software, I am also very curious about the creative industry as a whole. What is in it for me? As a student without any frame-of-reference, I can merely guess what it means to work in the field of storytelling animation and/or design. In 2021 I will graduate, and then I have to choose my own path... while I am still full of questions!
Knowing that a lot of you have yeaaars of working experience within various roles, I hope this is the right place for seeking a little input!

I mainly work with Cinema4d and AfterEffects.
Got experience with Photoshop and Illustrator as well. I also started picking up drawing.

Here's my work.
12 hours ago, LenMotion said:
Besides learning about the software, I am also very curious about the creative industry as a whole. What is in it for me? As a student without any frame-of-reference, I can merely guess what it means to work in the field of storytelling animation and/or design. In 2021 I will graduate, and then I have to choose my own path... while I am still full of questions!

Welcome to the Cafe!  You will find this to be a friendly community of extremely knowledgeable  and talented people with the same creative desires and goals as yourself.  As an aside, I spent a good portion of my early career (almost 30 years  ago) in The Netherlands and absolutely loved it.  Just a great country, great food, great people, beautiful countryside.  The summers were outstanding (the winters....not so much).  So the Cafe is like the Netherlands....in the summer!!!  🙂

Now I am a hobbyist so I have never worked in the industry so I have no first hand knowledge of what life is like in the industry.  What I do know is only through what I have read.

With that said, if you have any desire to work in the film industry then I would strongly recommend you read "Inside VFX: An Insider's View into the Visual Effects and Film Business" by Pierre Grage.    In short, not a pretty picture....it's a tough business. With that said, I have NOT heard as many horror stories about life in the games industry (IMHO: the work being done at Epic is driving the industry forward). 

If you have not already done so, make the same post at the C4D forum at the CG Society (found here) as that site is more frequented by CG professionals working at the larger studios than you would find here.

Now, not to discourage you, but every industry has good and bad.  So listen to what people say but don't take it that everything you hear will apply to you.  It won't.  Your path will be unique.  But you know that otherwise you would not be asking for insight...and that is a very good first step!!!

Good luck and welcome!

Dave

BTW:  Not sure if you ever heard of Gimpville (a really outstanding VFX company in Oslo, Norway).  I have kept in touch with the founder ever since he was 18 years old (yes...I met him in a forum).  He took a chance and started out on his own at a young age.  Now this guy had talent....you could just see it in his early work.  We all hated him because he was so young with so much talent!  😀  So talent will always  get you where you want to go!

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

@3D-Pangel 

Thank you so much for the info! Really means something to me!
And I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed the Netherlands, haha

Im gonna give the book a shot and i'll definitely visit CGsociety. Already considered doing so, funnily enough.

Also funny is that I already kind-of had assumptions that, working in the (blockbuster) film industry is NOT as fancy as it seems. 
When it's cool to look at, doesn't always mean it's cool to work on. At least that's what I kind of figured out at school. And after all, I want to devote most of my time within the software to Art-direction, rather than pure craft and problem-solving. Great VFX always seemed like mostly problem-solving to me. I know it also takes creativity but still; the part of work about making your VFX invisible (illusion of reality) is already challenging enough. Especially in feature length films. So im not sure if im the one who likes to spend his time on that... Respect to those who do though!

However, these are merely assumptions ofcourse! As a rookie I want to stay open-minded so I'll be sure to take a look into it anyways.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community