Toolfarm R22 Warning? Click Bait you will love to read

3D-Pangel

My MSA expired on 8/27 and I am now in the higher cost world of perpetual upgrades or have MAXON hold all my future content hostage to their subscription program.   Casting aside all their specials and deals on subscriptions, I started to troll the local dealers on perpetual upgrade costs.  I came across this on a very informative Toolfarm page of pricing (found here)

image.thumb.png.e70c3a20efa725bd3cc5aa41bad247f5.png

Maybe it is just a normal caveat from all of MAXON's retailers and not indicative of any change in policy from MAXON.....but, if you read the rest of the note, you will see the continued behavior from MAXON to NOT make perpetual upgrade pricing more public.

Overall, not very encouraging for the hobbyist who makes no money from using C4D but just wants the option to use their last upgrade should they decide they can no longer afford to stay current with the program.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

They will release R22 perpetual. Probably in October after announcing it at IBC. 
As for the price...they will rip us off, that’s quite clear from what they said here or there. The strategy is quite simple: milk all the die hard perpetual owners while recruiting and enslaving new users with cheaper subscriptions. If I were them, I would include redshift as the default renderer to justify the price that I expect to be around 900€ (Vat incl). But I’m probably day dreaming. 

I’m disappointed like a lot of long time users but life goes on and Houdini/zbrush is a pretty cool combo for what I like doing. 

That information is from september 2019, a time where S22 was not expected to come out half a year later.

I am still not sure how the idea of a R22 version as the coming version came into existence, but it has been made rather clear that there will be half yearly subscription releases and yearly perpetual releases. Since version numbers are always increasing this means the logical next release will have 23 as a number and will be released as subscription and perpetual, where, as Dave pointed out many times, holders of perpetual licenses can expect upgrade prices to be in the same price range as previous perpetual upgrades.

Cheers

Björn

6 hours ago, srek said:

Cheers

Björn

as Dave pointed out many times, holders of perpetual licenses can expect upgrade prices to be in the same price range as previous perpetual upgrades.

Yes and with all due respect, that’s what I call a rip off. I used to pay 650€/year with the MSA and will now pay close to 900€ without cineversity as a meager compensation. But enough said, the topic has been discussed way too much already and we all have to move on. 

5 hours ago, srek said:

Since version numbers are always increasing this means the logical next release will have 23 as a number and will be released as subscription and perpetual, where, as Dave pointed out many times, holders of perpetual licenses can expect upgrade prices to be in the same price range as previous perpetual upgrades.

Cheers

Björn

I know this has been asked and "almost" answered before, but it is probably worth a repeat here as we are close to the release date and therefore need a definitive response.

As you pointed out, the next perpetual license release will have its number increased to 23.  Therefore, is R23 considered a one version perpetual upgrade from R21 or a two version perpetual upgrade?  This is important as historically (prior to subscriptions) a two version upgrade for those who let their MSA elapse was close to $1900 USD.  So, given that we never had a chance to get an perpetual license for Version 22, are we now forced to pay that two version upgrade price for a perpetual R23?

Again, this was asked in the past and the response from Mr. McGavran was a humorous "Hey....good idea" (or something like that) which did leave me with the impression that would not be the case.  But probably good to get an actual answer now.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I can’t and won’t comment on any prices or offers, simply because i don’t know them. Having said that, i don’t expect anyone will be badly surprised by what is coming with R23. Dave was very clear on to be expected pricing, he just couldn’t give an exact value at the time. In short, there is no need for concern.

14 hours ago, srek said:

I. Dave was very clear on to be expected pricing, he just couldn’t give an exact value at the time. In short, there is no need for concern.

Indeed, it will cost the price of a regular upgrade (more or less 1000€ vat incl), which is about 50% more expensive than the MSA (660€ vat included). 
For people like me that’s a 50% price increase with zero added value (and actually fewer benefits since I lose cineversity). 
It takes balls to pass on an increase like that. 🙂 This is only possible because motion graphics is a relatively captive market...for now. 

• 3D-Pangel changed the title to Toolfarm R22 Warning? Click Bait you will love to read

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community