Blender 2.9 released

hvanderwegen

What makes it a bit difficult for me to implement Blender on my daily work is mostly due to 3 things: 
- Not so good outliner (very unintuitive way to organize scenes... objects, parents.. etc) 
- Lack of light-linking (having to rely 100% on composition to hide certain light to affect specific objects) 
and more importantly, not being able to select multiple objects (lights, bones, etc) and being able to change a specific parameter in all of them at the same time, same with keyframes.

But aside from that, 24-year-old me,  in front of a powerful software like that, at the beginning of my 3d career... I really wish this existed back then 🙂
it is amazing the amount of love it gets each update, and all for free! 
Also, the kind of work that has been outputed from Blender over the past 2 years, demonstrates how amazing this software is. 

2 hours ago, FLima said:

- Not so good outliner (very unintuitive way to organize scenes... objects, parents.. etc) 

Definitely. It is much improved in 2.8 and 2.9, but the outliner in C4D is still much more usable.

2 hours ago, FLima said:

- Lack of light-linking (having to rely 100% on composition to hide certain light to affect specific objects) 

I think you are talking about light groups? Base Cycles in the regular Blender doesn't offer that (yet?), but eCycles has that option.

2 hours ago, FLima said:

and more importantly, not being able to select multiple objects (lights, bones, etc) and being able to change a specific parameter in all of them at the same time, same with keyframes.

This is already possible. Hold down the ALT/OPTION key to change parameters for multiple selected objects simultaneously. Also works for animation.

One thing Cinema4D has improved on in the latest 2 versions is pure raw mesh editing performance, which is ~2-3 times faster than Blender. And the subd modifier performance while animating is pretty dire. The B devs need to tackle that as well. And obviously C4D still has an overall better user experience.

Having said that, it is still pretty impressive and an excellent choice for beginners and users with a low budget. Each release brings interesting new improvements, but I do hope they will slow down a bit with all the new major features and focus a bit more on improving some of the foundations.

Finally in this latest version is it possible to click on an outliner tag (such as a modifier tag) and it will then display the modifier settings. Something so simple that C4d users had from the very start, is now possible in B! Well, better late than never... I am glad the B devs have understood the importance of these little UX improvements.

19 hours ago, bentraje said:

Looks good. Actually, find myself using Blender more in more these days...

Same here. I've moved all my production renders to Blender and couldn't be happier. Even my clients noticed the difference in quality using cycles (and I don't have to "rent" a 3rd party render engine!). With the passing of each day C4D becomes less relevant in my workflow...in a way, this makes me sad.

I need all the capabilities of the C4D object manager, material manager and texture manager (now the Project Asset Inspector --- not a fan of that name) and the ability to make changes to a parametric primitive after it has been added to a scene (loosing that capability in Blender's as soon as you drop the tool really irritates me).  Having the same intelligence that C4D has in accessing and changing everything in the scene would remove a lot of the inherent "clunkiness" of Blender.

But I am beginning to feel that Blender experts embrace its quirks.   Having to delete the cube with each new scene irritates but seems to be a big part of the Blender culture....kind of like the Suzanne primitive. Since when does clunky and/or odd become a selling point?

But I will admit that I do envy those who have mastered the program such that is navigation is now second nature.  They are getting a really capable package that maintains a frenetic development pace such that its toolset in some ways beats their competition in terms of features and stability ---all for free!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

6 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I need all the capabilities of the C4D object manager, material manager and texture manager (now the Project Asset Inspector --- not a fan of that name) and the ability to make changes to a parametric primitive after it has been added to a scene (loosing that capability in Blender's as soon as you drop the tool really irritates me).  Having the same intelligence that C4D has in accessing and changing everything in the scene would remove a lot of the inherent "clunkiness" of Blender.

True. The good news is that an asset manager is worked on and assumed to become part of v2.93.

If you are missing the parametric objects from C4D in Blender: a free plugin adds most of these to Blender.

https://github.com/WiresoulStudio/W_Mesh_28x/releases

Would be nice if that were to be a default option with all objects.

Luckily the devs seem to be tackling more and more paper cuts, and the outliner is steadily improving. It's taken a while, but better late than never, as the saying goes.

But I am beginning to feel that Blender experts embrace its quirks.   Having to delete the cube with each new scene irritates but seems to be a big part of the Blender culture....kind of like the Suzanne primitive. Since when does clunky and/or odd become a selling point?

You only need to delete the cube once, and save the default file. (File-->Defaults-->Save Startup File

Gone forever! 🙂

They are getting a really capable package that maintains a frenetic development pace such that its toolset in some ways beats their competition in terms of features and stability ---all for free!

Competition is good - it keeps the other 3d packages on their toes.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community