RTX 3070 / 3080 / 3090

hobbyist

Unfortunately, as far as I know, you don't get to add the card's VRAM together - instead, the scene has to be completely loaded into each card's VRAM, so you only get the amount of the lowest card (ie a 3080 & a 3090 would limit you to 10gb). That said, with out-of-core tech on Octane & Redshift, you can spill over the cards VRAM, at a performance hit.

Still, 10gb-> 24gb - that's a maaasive gap & I think I fancy the card that will go inbetween at some point.

9 hours ago, Decade said:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, you don't get to add the card's VRAM together - instead, the scene has to be completely loaded into each card's VRAM, so you only get the amount of the lowest card (ie a 3080 & a 3090 would limit you to 10gb). That said, with out-of-core tech on Octane & Redshift, you can spill over the cards VRAM, at a performance hit.

Still, 10gb-> 24gb - that's a maaasive gap & I think I fancy the card that will go inbetween at some point.

That is true for every new card but the 3090, since that is the only card that supports NVLink (they gotta squeeze some money somewhere). NVLink effectively pools the VRAM together which as a result almost doubles the VRAM if you have the same card twice.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

These cards might be harder to buy than any tech product in history.

-Many millions of people in line, according to reports...huge pent up demand

-It's a compelling product

-Electrical component glitches in early shipments may require re-formulation with AIBs

-Covid

-Samsung has historically struggled with die yields and this is a new generation (this scares me the most.)

-Samsung's factories are going to get stretched further as the more popular 3070 debuts

-Scarcity narrative sucks in even more buying (remember toilet paper)

If only 5-10k cards have shipped so far...as some suggest...not a good sign at all.

I'm in line...trying to stay patient for what might be a long delay.

• Customer
5 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

-Electrical component glitches in early shipments may require re-formulation with AIBs

I seen some articles and forum posts about crashes but last night was the first I saw breaking down what the issue might be. That's a nightmare so maybe in one way it's good the first batch is so scarce if the board partners are going to replace the cheap chip.

In this article he mentions both 3080 & 3090 but I doubt many 3090's were out in the wild enough for reports of crashes by the time this article was written

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real-what-can-be-investigative-within-the-crashes-and-instabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

In this video Jay mentions the 3080 but just has a single board partner 3090 which has two better quality chips

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

Looking a which partners used an expensive chip or two, and those who were the cheapskates might be an indication of their respective product quality in general - so perhaps useful info : )

Isn't this what actually got debunked? The initial idea was that some capacitors right behind the GPU chip are causing this issue, if cheaper parts were used. Then after that, all the electircal engineers came out and said no they are not really cheaper at all.

And now the problem was apparently a faulty driver.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Customer
31 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Isn't this what actually got debunked? The initial idea was that some capacitors right behind the GPU chip are causing this issue, if cheaper parts were used. Then after that, all the electircal engineers came out and said no they are not really cheaper at all.

And now the problem was apparently a faulty driver.

Yes the capacitors look like a red herring and the latest driver update resolved crashing issues.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community