R23 Facerig Setup Thoughts

Go to solution Solved by everfresh,

Hi,

when wanting to rig a character with the new templates in R23, how you would you go about making a character with a facerig? I'm not quite sure if it's better to use the Toon template (which has the face part included) or an advanced biped template with a facerig on top (which would in fact be two rigs on top of each other)

My character is more realistic than toony, so I would naturally tend more towards the advanced biped, but I fear that it might complicate things when slapping the facerig on top of it. I think it would make more sense to also include the face option in the advanced biped template. For some reason it is possible to add eyes, but nothing else.

So basically to make it short, my question would be if the toon facerig/ rig is subsantially different from the advanced biped except the fact that you can bend limbs and if the facerig and the advanced biped rig collide in some way when used on top of each other? Does anyone have experience with that already?

Thanks and regards

• Solution

you can easily use the stand alone facerig with the advanced biped, you won't face any problems (pun intended), is was made for that purpose.

although the toon rig is made for toon characters, it also can handle realistic characters, you just then don't use any of the stretchy/bendy features.

so what you decide to use mainly comes down to your personal preferences. feature wise the face rigs are more or less on par, there's slight differences in functionality and setup though...

there are examples in the content browser for the toon rig and the face rig, just give them a spin and see which one you like better.

the body rig of the toon rig preset has a bit more features than the advanced biped, apart from the squetchy and bendy features there are a couple of handy space switches and some other things the advanced biped doesn't have. for instance the hand gizmo makes it very fast and comfortable to get nice finger poses with a single controller. also it's a little bit faster than the advanced biped.

those are all the major differences i can think of, both are good stable rigs. again, in the end it comes down to personal preferences.

Wow thank you so much, that was very in-depth and complete!

I see, I just noted that awesome local>world IK Switch in the toon rig - I guess I will definitely pick the toon one then, no more fiddling around with constraints for that 🙂

Just one thing that irritates me, the toon rig comes with a pair of eye geo - am I supposed to use the replace function on them to put in my own set of eyes? Or is it possible to just have a finished character and have the character's eyes be recognised by the rig template?

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community