CollieMouse for R23 (SpaceNavigator)

Cairyn

Hello;

I rebuilt all my plugins last week. Just in case, CollieMouse - the alternative controller for the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator and similar devices - is now available for R23 as well. If you have used this in the past, drop me a note and I'll send you the new version.

(No new functionality, but R23 requires recompiling of all C++ plugins, or else they won't work at all.)

• Guest featured this topic

Yes - I would be absolutely lost without mine. One of the best buys I ever made 3D-wise... navigation in Cinema 500% better with one of those under your left hand...

I have the older Space Explorer variant with the 16 buttons, which I have mapped to:

• undo / redo
  • esc, shift, ctrl, alt
  • Component Mode
  • Last tool
  • SDS on / off (via Q)
  • Move, scale, rotate tools

CBR

I love the thing (and I am very depressed that Blender doesn't really support it; there seems to be only rotation mapped to it natively.

But the Cinema 4D support is not very good, and hasn't been much improved over the years. I tried it in R23 with the built-in controller, and it still doesn't support turntable style or even the manual pivot. So I spent a lot of time adding that functionality (in CollieMouse). Sadly, it's not a widespread tool.

Unfortunately 3Dconnexion's price range is ... a bit overwhelming. The higher class models just add a few buttons and an LCD display, but cost four times as much. Therefore, I only have the "cheap" SpaceNavigator. The two buttons suffice though, together with the "circle menu" functions that CollieMouse supports.

I have been using the SpaceNavigator for years. At start it is quite some getting used to. But once the brain gets accommodated it's quite difficult to work without it.

Past few years, while developing plugis, I had gone back to using the 1,2,3 shortcut keys as I didn't quite need to heavily navigate the viewport.

Now that I am back to using the software instead of writing it, I will see myself using that SpaceNavigator more and more.

I had also been eyeing the more expensive model. With one hand on the SpaceNavigator and the other on the mouse, it's kind of troublesome to use keyboard shortcuts.

Therefore, I imagined having a more expensive model with all the extra keys to be useful in that sense.

In the meantime I had purchased a mouse with 12 buttons at the thumb position, and some extra button on top, allowing to have 3x 12 shortcut keys in total ... Never managed to actually use them, as it requires too much muscle memory to make them useful. So I guess those extra keys on a SpaceNavigator will probably also end up the same way.

Hence the reason why I developed the Dials plugin ... but to be honest, it doesn't feel the same, and I also never end up using it.

So, to recap, I am happy with the SpaceNavigator, and don't regret having purchased it.

• 6 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 2:48 PM, Cairyn said:

Hello;

I rebuilt all my plugins last week. Just in case, CollieMouse - the alternative controller for the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator and similar devices - is now available for R23 as well. If you have used this in the past, drop me a note and I'll send you the new version.

(No new functionality, but R23 requires recompiling of all C++ plugins, or else they won't work at all.)

Can you please provide a link to where I can download a version of CollieMouse that is compatible with R23?

I have an older version that you sent me but it only works w with R19.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, jgaltone said:

Can you please provide a link to where I can download a version of CollieMouse that is compatible with R23?

I have an older version that you sent me but it only works w with R19.

Thanks.

Please send me an email address so I can send it to you direcly - there are no official download sites at the moment.

• 10 months later...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community