Modelling Indented Text ?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

As personal work to improve my modeling skills I've been trying to model the cylindrical bottle of the image. You can forget the naming in the lower part, I'm just interested on the cylinder and the number 212 on this, cause the bottle is like a cylinder who has this numbers "extrude" on it. Then would be the numbers in blue, but this would be another mesh.

My point is that I have to create a cylinder who has this number on it to extrude the shape, but the rest of the cylinder has to remain perfect, with no artifacts or deformations.

For now I've tried:

- Modeling a cylinder, create a plane mesh with the number, add a Shrink Wrap to project the mesh onto the cylinder and, after that, slide some points on the cylinder to match everything. 

- Create a flat mesh with the numbers and enough surface to finally add a Bend with strong 360° and get a cylinder. After that I can extrude the numbers.

But, the result in all my tests it's the same, I'll get the bottle with perfect numbers extrude, perfect cylinder on the 90% of the surface, but in the areas where numbers shape starts, areas between numbers, ... we can see little deformations

I'm starting to think I'm not using the good approach/technique... 

Thanks for your comments

12027-2.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Re-titled for future search use (see edit history)

The best way to make this (properly, as opposed to with horrible booles etc) is from a flat plane, subdivided or not, that you would subsequently wrap into a cylindrical form via either spline wrap or the wrap deformer. The challenge is getting character topology that can deform properly, which splines do not usually provide. For this reason you want to poly model those letters then expand and solve the topology outwards until it makes an even rectangular plane suitable for cylindrification.

I can show you what that topology should look like if you struggle...

Or, if you're after quick, easy, cheaty ways, then you can always subtract some deformed motext from a cylinder under a volume builder / mesher setup.

CBR

Thank you for your reply Cerbera, 

In fact, this is more or less the second way I've describe. I'm not sure why it's better use Spline Wrap or Wrap Deformer either Blend, but I'm gonna try this way and share an image with the final topology. 

Thanks.

• Solution

Yes, the bend will also work, but the key is to bend the subdivided result, NOT the base mesh. Provided you have modelled the numbers in regular, even quads, you still probably won't have enough segmentation to deform nicely, whereas if you deform the subdivided result, you have more than enough polygons to support the curve without the unslightly lumps and bumps. This is the sort of topology you should start with...

image.thumb.png.7b0715c6d7db54fa94ceaebe74aca96e.png

CBR

• Cerbera changed the title to Modelling Indented Text ?
55 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, the bend will also work, but the key is to bend the subdivided result, NOT the base mesh. Provided you have modelled the numbers in regular, even quads, you still probably won't have enough segmentation to deform nicely, whereas if you deform the subdivided result, you have more than enough polygons to support the curve without the unslightly lumps and bumps. This is the sort of topology you should start with...

CBR

Mmm, ok. I understand. I'm gonna try to subdivide the mesh before use the Spline warp/Bend. Anyway, I share here some images of my process cause I'm pretty sure the topology I've made for the numbers is not the best...

CA_Shot_01.jpg

CA_Shot_02.jpg

CA_Shot_03.jpg

CA_Shot_04.jpg

No, it's not the best - you cannot allow any triangles for example. And you need to keep the topology very even and regular, and free of complex poles, and where possible less 'contra-flow' than that. You have big edge loops running at 45 degrees to the overall flow which isn't ideal either.

CBR

Well, I'm not sure if the size of the image makes a wrong impression, but there is no triangles, just quads on my mesh.

For the other things is true, I have to work on the mesh to get something more regular. But now at least I know the problem is the mesh and not the approach or technique, so thanks a lot !

Yes, the technique is sound, you just need more even poly distribution and not so many control edges. You can try using brush smooth or iron on a point selection which only covers the non letter parts to even things out a bit, or if you have HB Modelling bundle (as anyone serious about modelling in Cinema should do) then the mesh relax command therein will also do that, but more consistently.

CBR

Of course if you can't be arsed to do it properly, you can still get a very passable result if you do it with splines, provided that you interpolate your splines properly, and don't use SDS but instead work at high enough resolution that you don't have to...

image.thumb.png.c7893ada782f1a6ca2b23578fb347859.png

image.thumb.png.5e94375f92b2e9168ad712e996d31141.png

image.thumb.png.a67a70a7825d10e6443ba18661296dbf.png

See ? - no deformation !

CBR

Yes ! I have HB Modeling plugin, but to be honest: 

1 - I've never learn to use it properly. I had so many issues trying to make "points to circle" work

2 - I like modeling. I've been modeling in C4D for 2 years & I want to learn to do it nicely. And I have the feeling use plug-ins it's like take the shortcuts that makes you never learn...

About the option you comment of create the mesh with splines... I'm worried about creating the rest of the object. Cause the great problem is this cylinder with the "212", but then I would have to close the bottom and create the top piece. So... at the moment I stop to work with SDS and start to work with lots of polygons, it's hard to get a nice and clean object at the end...

2 hours ago, MrMo said:

I like modeling. I've been modeling in C4D for 2 years & I want to learn to do it nicely.

And I like you, for having that attitude 🙂 Quite a rare thing these days that people aren't looking for the quick lazy option...

CBR