C4D R23 constant crashing

Hi. I'm modelling, and C4D R23 is crashing all the time. It happens when I switch from the one window view (perspective) to the four windows tiled view. The programme freezes, then black screen, then closes – no crash report.

It started more than a week ago. Since, I have reinstalled my system and resaved my background modelling images as low res as possible, trying both PNG and JPG. Nothing worked. Then yesterday no freezes, and now today, C4D is crashing all the time.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Cerbera
Fixed spelling in keywords (see edit history)
  • Cerbera changed the title to C4D R23 constant crashing

Hi Cerbera. Thanks for the reply. As soon as I posted I saw that there was a Windows update, downloaded it, and so far I haven't crashed. I'm using the latest Nvidia driver and 90% sure it's the Studio version – that's what I clicked, but is there a way for me to confirm that I have the Studio driver installed and not the gaming one? If I crash again, I'll remove my drivers and pay very close attention to dowlading them again. Thank you.

• Customer
23 minutes ago, HiFly said:

is there a way for me to confirm that I have the Studio driver installed and not the gaming one? 

There is yes. When you open up Geforce Experience > click the 3 dots and choose Studio Driver

In the Available section it will tell you if it's Studio or Game Ready

image.thumb.png.b3ffdc6ebf301594567462b0947da674.png

Thank you Hobbyist. After the Microsoft update yesterday; I worked all day without a crash. Start-up this morning, and crash the first time I swith from one view (perspective) to the four panel window. When I opened Geforce Experience, clicked the three dots, Game Ready Driver was highlighted. I clicked on Studio Driver and it instantly said that the latest Studio Driver was installed. I hope I was using the Game Ready Driver and that this will now fix the problem because the current level of crashing makes it impossible to work.

I've just crashed again. What can I do? Crashing all the time between view changes can't be normal? I've reinstalled my whole system and now double-checked the drivers. I have only done a very limited reinstall of the essential programs on my machine. Why can I work perfectly well after yesterdays Windows update and then start crashing again, worse than ever today? When I checked for Windows updates just now, I noticed some text saying: your organisation manages some settings'. The policies set on my device are: Exclude drivers from Windows quality updates (Source: Administrator) (Type: Group Policy).

Cerbera, is the SP1 service update something that I can install individually, or if I am up-to-date with Windows, which I am, does that mean that the SP1 service update is already installed and up-to-date?

I've tried for more than a week to solve this and am now completely stuck. Everything until just over a week ago worked fine. And since the problem started, I've wiped my machine, but can't shake this crashing.

Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, HiFly said:

Cerbera, is the SP1 service update something that I can install individually, or if I am up-to-date with Windows, which I am, does that mean that the SP1 service update is already installed and up-to-date?

No, I meant the 23.110 SP1 update, which is a whole new install of Cinema. Very sorry to hear you are still having problems - all I can say is that the Service pack stopped my crashes moving between layouts and reduced the frequency of crashes that were previously happening quite a lot in BP UV edit layout - but I am sorry to say I don't know why that hasn't also worked for you, and I sincerely hope MAXON support can help you find the answer.

CBR

Thank you, Cerbera. Right after my last message; I went back into C4D, I can't remember the exact terminology, but it flashed up saying that I needed to authenticate my login (which it sometimes does). After that, I have worked until now without a crash. But, based on the last week, I can randomly find short runs without crashing before it starts crashing all the time again. I'm scared to start a new session, and especially switch between layouts! If it carries on I will contact MAXON. 

But, I've just checked the version I'm using, I was 100% sure I was up-to-date, but it's R23.008. Within the programme I've been going to 'help', 'check for updates', but nothing showed up other than content libraries. I've just gone online and seen that there is an update available! This should be it. Thank you, Cerbera!!

21 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No, I meant the 23.110 SP1 update, which is a whole new install of Cinema. Very sorry to hear you are still having problems - all I can say is that the Service pack stopped my crashes moving between layouts and reduced the frequency of crashes that were previously happening quite a lot in BP UV edit layout - but I am sorry to say I don't know why that hasn't also worked for you, and I sincerely hope MAXON support can help you find the answer.

CBR

I've update to 23.110 SP1 and crashed within five minutes of using it.