Happy 30th Birthday Cinema 4D !

Cerbera

30 years to the day that Cinema was first released by the original team when Christian and Philip Losch entered their new mega speedy ray-tracer into Kickstart magazine's monthly programming contest, and won the competition... that was to go on to be released on Amiga as FastRay, and went on to become Cinema 4D R1 2 years later.

A lot has changed since then, but not how much I like it ! 🙂

image.png.aca79b0b569d30e22487c92e7daee891.png

Well done the original team, the current team, and all those in between who worked, and still work to make this software great.

🎉🎈🎂

CBR

• Cerbera changed the title to Happy 30th Birthday Cinema 4D !

Blimey! You're making me feel old… I remember first buying it in 1999 with R5 was it? Used it mainly for product visuals and was impressed by the speedy render times. Has changed somewhat since those heady days. Let's hope C4D goes from strength to strength 🙂

A glowing article in "Computer Arts"  is what got me interested in C4D back in 2005.  I was a trueSpace user at the time and just growing completely frustrated with the programs lack of development, instability and broken tools.  My litmus test is again to open up the demo program and see how far I can get with it without reading a manual and the C4D UI was just so well done that it was a no-brainer.  What clinched the deal was discovering the Cafe and all of it C4D tutorials.  What a gold mine! Also finding out that 3D-Kiwi and 3D-Crew (anyone remember him?) were running the site was a big plus because I knew them from before as they were also ex-trueSpace.  3D-Kiwi's little blue airplane tutorial really paved the way for me to get into the program.

Wow!  30 years!  That is about as old as you can get in this industry! 

Okay....how many Cafe members were not born yet in 1990?  Actually....on second thought....I really don't want to know.  

Dave

image.thumb.png.15fdc2172aabbb18c4fca59f3efe4a07.png

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Well here is a blast from the past my first ever C4D project that I did with R5. A nuclear submarine launching it's missiles, the flick was rendered at 320x240! Looks so old now.

BTW I hope I have improved since then 😄

Submarine Rocket Launch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:03 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

A glowing article in "Computer Arts"  is what got me interested in C4D back in 2005.  I was a trueSpace user at the time and just growing completely frustrated with the programs lack of development, instability and broken tools.  My litmus test is again to open up the demo program and see how far I can get with it without reading a manual and the C4D UI was just so well done that it was a no-brainer.  What clinched the deal was discovering the Cafe and all of it C4D tutorials.  What a gold mine! Also finding out that 3D-Kiwi and 3D-Crew (anyone remember him?) were running the site was a big plus because I knew them from before as they were also ex-trueSpace.  3D-Kiwi's little blue airplane tutorial really paved the way for me to get into the program.

Wow!  30 years!  That is about as old as you can get in this industry! 

Okay....how many Cafe members were not born yet in 1990?  Actually....on second thought....I really don't want to know.  

Dave

image.thumb.png.15fdc2172aabbb18c4fca59f3efe4a07.png

So Where is 3D Kiwi now?  Is he no longer here? I remember he helped me so much!  I haven't checked back here in a while but my old account wasn't valid anymore.  I had to make a new account.

6 hours ago, Goosey said:

So Where is 3D Kiwi now?

Nigel jumped to Modo and left for his other passions, like cycling. ☺️ 

Hrvoje and I, former Vertex Pusher guys took over now 5y ago I think. 

An article on Advanced Photoshop talking about the wonders of the extrude text function drew my eye to C4D in about 2011, R12 I think. The heady joy of being able to get an answer from someone on the Cafe when I had problems meant that I could actually begin to learn the thing, although many years later and I still feel like I'm dipping my toe in a vast ocean of knowledge.