Redshift & Octane Renderers AMD GPUs

Hey Everyone!

Octane and Redshift Renderers still not supporting the AMD GPUs and if you go to their websites, OTOY says "Work is ongoing to assimilate GPUs from AMD and Intel for future versions of OctaneRender." So this one might take a long time.

And Redshift says "Support for AMD GPUs is currently in development." It seems that Redshift is coming up in the next two releases R24-R25. Since MAXON has removed the ProRender in R23.

This just an assumption. What do you think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Octane and Redshift folks completely rely on other vendors to provide a necessary software layer to power GPU rendering.

That software layer has been:

CUDA...first to the party...built by Nvidia and only for Nvidia cards. Both Redshift and Octane leverage this software API.

OpenCL...second to party...open source but used primarily by AMD. Not nearly as good. Octane and Redshift haven't ever used this. ProRender uses this.

Metal...by Apple, for Mac only. Octane now works on Macs via code in the Metal software layer. Works for AMD only. I hear Redshift is planning to work w/Metal...for AMD cards.

Vulcan...by Microsoft, for Windows only. GPU rendering via Vulcan software layer doesn't exist yet - a possibility in the future. This would pave way for Octane and Redshift on Windows AMD.

Yes, I guess this is technically right, but it's weird to find certain software that is not supported by or compatible with good products/specs.

Maybe because the focus is now more on the gaming world than anything else. Anyway, I hope the way to be paved in the near future for all the software.

12 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Octane and Redshift folks completely rely on other vendors to provide a necessary software layer to power GPU rendering.

That software layer has been:

CUDA...first to the party...built by Nvidia and only for Nvidia cards. Both Redshift and Octane leverage this software API.

OpenCL...second to party...open source but used primarily by AMD. Not nearly as good. Octane and Redshift haven't ever used this. ProRender uses this.

Metal...by Apple, for Mac only. Octane now works on Macs via code in the Metal software layer. Works for AMD only. I hear Redshift is planning to work w/Metal...for AMD cards.

Vulcan...by Microsoft, for Windows only. GPU rendering via Vulcan software layer doesn't exist yet - a possibility in the future. This would pave way for Octane and Redshift on Windows AMD.

Vulkan is actually cross platform, I think...

41 minutes ago, MaherKhedder said:

Yes, I guess this is technically right, but it's weird to find certain software that is not supported by or compatible with good products/specs.

Maybe because the focus is now more on the gaming world than anything else. Anyway, I hope the way to be paved in the near future for all the software.

Well actually it was/is supported via OpenCL in some renderers. I am not sure, but I think under Vulkan the OpenCL replacement, and therefore also a CUDA equivalent, would be Vulkan Compute. However, I don't think it has been widely used for production renderers and I doubt there is anything similar to NVIDIAs Optix. But in principle, it should be as suitable for it as OpenCL was.

Yesterday, the first specification for Vulkan Raytracing was released:

https://www.khronos.org/blog/vulkan-ray-tracing-final-specification-release

However, this is more for gaming (similar to Direct X Raytracing).

But I am pretty confident, that AMD will push raytracing in Vulkan, now that they have dedicated hardware...

ChristianS...you are correct and I do amend that one claim in my previous post:

Vulcan is *not* created by Microsoft but is created by an open-source industry consortium (Khronos). So I suppose we may see it on beyond just in Windows... perhaps in Linux. In theory a rendering company could also use it on Mac.

Redshift and Otoy (creator of Octane) have committed to using Metal on Mac. 

10 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

ChristianS...you are correct and I do amend that one claim in my previous post:

Vulcan is *not* created by Microsoft but is created by an open-source industry consortium (Khronos). So I suppose we may see it on beyond just in Windows... perhaps in Linux. In theory a rendering company could also use it on Mac.

Redshift and Otoy (creator of Octane) have committed to using Metal on Mac. 

And Vulkan can already be used on the mac... kind of, using MoltenVK: https://moltengl.com/moltenvk/

But I have no idea, how that works and what the user and/or softare vendor have to do for it to work, but the claims on that web site sound good.

11 hours ago, MaherKhedder said:

@Icecaveman @christianS Thank you for all the information, sounds interesting, I have never heard about Vulkan or Metal. I will check them soon.

Metal is a part of the Mac Operating System. Vulkan will be similarly transparent...A render engine might use it, but it would be invisible to you. You wouldn't install it nor need to know anything about it. The reason I mention these technologies is to explain purchase options and to help people understand how 3d rendering software is dependent on software outside their control. For the short term it's pretty simple: for Macs you want AMD...for PC's you want Nvidia.

12 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Metal is a part of the Mac Operating System. Vulkan will be similarly transparent...A render engine might use it, but it would be invisible to you. You wouldn't install it nor need to know anything about it. The reason I mention these technologies is to explain purchase options and to help people understand how 3d rendering software is dependent on software outside their control. For the short term it's pretty simple: for Macs you want AMD...for PC's you want Nvidia.

Thanks again for the explanation, I have got the aspect of software that depend on other functions/programs.

Regarding the (Metal & Vulkan) I meant that I would only read about them so that I could be aware of what these programs are doing.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community