Realistic rendering

Welcome to the cafe ! 🙂

I'll post it here at a sensible size for convenience... pls use cafes image upload system to show us jpgs.

image.thumb.png.480b4ed78b12eaa8789cf6102763de7a.png

It's not too bad, as these things go, but I would say the main things detracting from realism here include:

1. People - look 'plonked on' - ie are not colour graded to match the light in the scene. They also very sharply in focus wherever they appear, which is not realistic, and we seem to be lacking any depth of field.

2. Trees and foliage look very dull and flat, and like they are not picking up any reflections or much in the way of speculars.

3. Everything is too clean - like it was built yesterday, and these are the first people to ever walk on it ! Real life stuff is much more dirty and worn than this, especially things like bins

4. Not sure the edges of the buildings are bevelled enough. They seem to have a little but maybe need more ?

5. People's feet are obviously going through the floor.

6. Shadows should be darker and sharper than that with the sun that high in the sky and not obscured by cloud (presumably, judging from backplate)

So a few things to look at there, but overall it's quite nice framing and lighting and materials so only needs a few tweaks to shift it more photo-real I'd say...

I don't have Arnold myself so can't advise on specifics unfortunately.

CBR

Replace the trees and people with 3D objects and a lot of the problems would go away (they do look like billboards).  There are 3D models of people for architectural visualizations and her is a link to 6 models: Free 3D People for Max, Maya, C4D & more | RENDERPEOPLE.  Note that 3 of the people are rigged so by changing the poses and color grading the textures a bit to make the clothing look different you could stretch that into 9 people total.  In general though, everything lacks some level of reflectivity -- even bricks and concrete are reflective (though with a very high roughness value).  The windows in the back also need to be a bit more reflective and should have a slight specular highlight as I think they are being hit by the sun.

Also, there should be some level of ambient occlusion around the building, trashcan, etc.  

And now the small nits:

What temperature is it in this scene?  You have the lady in the shadows wearing a winter coat and stocking hat but the little boy is in shorts and the guy on the right has a short sleeve shirt.  The guy in the back has a winter coat as well.

Who is the guy on the bench talking to?  He is making a gesture with hands like he is explaining something and looking intently into the background.  True --- he could be using his cell phone with a blue tooth headset but that doesn't read as real --- unless he is just talking to himself --- you know, old school crazy before cell phones.

When going for realism you also need to think about how things get used in real life.  Try to tell a story with all the little bit of random things that you could add...for example:

• Put some trash around the trashcan and/or hanging out of the trashcan.  Maybe a half full bottle standing next to it on the ground (they didn't want to make a mess in the trashcan so left it out)
  • Put some small smudges under the lamps on the wall.  Water would probably pool up on those lamps in a rain storm and then drip down over time leaving a stain.
  • Put some black smudging on the corner of the building closest to the camera about  2 meters up.  Nice corner like that will always get touched by people as they come around the corner to head towards the building entrance.  Over time that corner will darken from all the handling.
  • You have trees...so you need leaves on the ground.  Maybe a pile of leaves against the wall of the building on the left because that is where the wind will blow them.
  • No building signage? Nothing to point people to the lobby?  Nothing that says "Main Entrance"?

No one said realism was easy.  Remember that the goal is to add things that people will only notice if they are NOT there!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

14 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Replace the trees and people with 3D objects and a lot of the problems would go away (they do look like billboards).  There are 3D models of people for architectural visualizations and her is a link to 6 models: Free 3D People for Max, Maya, C4D & more | RENDERPEOPLE.  Note that 3 of the people are rigged so by changing the poses and color grading the textures a bit to make the clothing look different you could stretch that into 9 people total.  In general though, everything lacks some level of reflectivity -- even bricks and concrete are reflective (though with a very high roughness value).  The windows in the back also need to be a bit more reflective and should have a slight specular highlight as I think they are being hit by the sun.

Also, there should be some level of ambient occlusion around the building, trashcan, etc.  

And now the small nits:

What temperature is it in this scene?  You have the lady in the shadows wearing a winter coat and stocking hat but the little boy is in shorts and the guy on the right has a short sleeve shirt.  The guy in the back has a winter coat as well.

Who is the guy on the bench talking to?  He is making a gesture with hands like he is explaining something and looking intently into the background.  True --- he could be using his cell phone with a blue tooth headset but that doesn't read as real --- unless he is just talking to himself --- you know, old school crazy before cell phones.

When going for realism you also need to think about how things get used in real life.  Try to tell a story with all the little bit of random things that you could add...for example:

• Put some trash around the trashcan and/or hanging out of the trashcan.  Maybe a half full bottle standing next to it on the ground (they didn't want to make a mess in the trashcan so left it out)
  • Put some small smudges under the lamps on the wall.  Water would probably pool up on those lamps in a rain storm and then drip down over time leaving a stain.
  • Put some black smudging on the corner of the building closest to the camera about  2 meters up.  Nice corner like that will always get touched by people as they come around the corner to head towards the building entrance.  Over time that corner will darken from all the handling.
  • You have trees...so you need leaves on the ground.  Maybe a pile of leaves against the wall of the building on the left because that is where the wind will blow them.
  • No building signage? Nothing to point people to the lobby?  Nothing that says "Main Entrance"?

No one said realism was easy.  Remember that the goal is to add things that people will only notice if they are NOT there!

Dave

thanks a lot.your advices are really helpful.

• 2 months later...

Are the couple in front time travellers, slightly out of phase with the quantum slipstream ? Because if they're not then that motion blur is waaaaay to much - they are walking dude, not rocket powered ! The girl in white at the back still looks 'plonked on' too I'm afraid, like her lighting is totally different - and his face - too pale in that afternoon light, and pretty sure his face should be in shadow with how far he looks under the arch. Lastly girl in blue jeans on bench is close, but not contrast-y enough. And the trash on the ground needs to be more haphazard and randomly placed - it's all too flat on the ground atm I reckon... also I'm not sure that helps the congruity of the scene. If everything else is so neat and flawlessly maintained / manicured, why hasn't someone just picked up the trash ? perhaps it would make more sense if the bin was actually full or overflowing ?

Other than that you're winning though I'd say... sunlight and shadow looks very nice on ground, and I'm buying the textures on the whole...

CBR

Id suggest using actual human models instead of flat images first of all (if these are already 3d models its hard to tell). Then remove the couple closes to the camera and change the people walking out of the building to walking into it. Thatll make it so you don't have to wrok  much on their facial features on the 3d models you get. next the trees. they're very uniform in color. This is very good though! never take critism as a bad thing, even when you have perfect renders there's always something to adjust or fix.

ALSO! Are you doing multipasses?

11 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Are the couple in front time travellers, slightly out of phase with the quantum slipstream ? Because if they're not then that motion blur is waaaaay to much - they are walking dude, not rocket powered ! The girl in white at the back still looks 'plonked on' too I'm afraid, like her lighting is totally different - and his face - too pale in that afternoon light, and pretty sure his face should be in shadow with how far he looks under the arch. Lastly girl in blue jeans on bench is close, but not contrast-y enough. And the trash on the ground needs to be more haphazard and randomly placed - it's all too flat on the ground atm I reckon... also I'm not sure that helps the congruity of the scene. If everything else is so neat and flawlessly maintained / manicured, why hasn't someone just picked up the trash ? perhaps it would make more sense if the bin was actually full or overflowing ?

Other than that you're winning though I'd say... sunlight and shadow looks very nice on ground, and I'm buying the textures on the whole...

CBR

😆 You are right i used that cutouts so bad and ill currect them.

thanks a lot for your reply in the past it helped me a lot.

again thank you so much

9 hours ago, CullenJB said:

Id suggest using actual human models instead of flat images first of all (if these are already 3d models its hard to tell). Then remove the couple closes to the camera and change the people walking out of the building to walking into it. Thatll make it so you don't have to wrok  much on their facial features on the 3d models you get. next the trees. they're very uniform in color. This is very good though! never take critism as a bad thing, even when you have perfect renders there's always something to adjust or fix.

ALSO! Are you doing multipasses?

thanks you for your suggestions i will use some 3d models .and yes i do multipasses .is the way i used multipasses wrong?

12 hours ago, Hauuuula said:

thanks you for your suggestions i will use some 3d models .and yes i do multipasses .is the way i used multipasses wrong?

are you adjusting them in AE or PS? the multipasses aren't obvious so you used them well, if you weren't using them I was going to suggest it. You may want to adjust levels to be a little more drastic and poppy but that could cause more problems with your realism goal. 

Okay....while I agree with all the comments about the cut-out people and their ability to cross phase in and out of our quantum continuum, I think it is important for us to provide some "positive" feedback simply because we all need encouragement every now and then. 

The building and its weathering are very good!  The moss growing in the corner of the building and around the hand-rails is an excellent touch.  The water stains at the base and top of the building read very real.  Not sure if the water puddle on the bricks is part of the texture or added on, but it goes well with making the environment look very weathered.  I can also smell the mildew when I look at that building.

In short, the building (which is fake) looks more real than the people which are real.  Very difficult to realistically blend photo cut-outs in the 3D environment.  You should now have a slight appreciation for what VFX artists go through trying to make actors shot against green screen blend with their CG backgrounds.  The LED volumes being created based on the success of the Mandalorian are pure genius (IMHO).  

I thought it was very smart to put 2D people ONLY in the shadows in your early WIPs where the lighting is very flat and they are not casting any shadows.  Very difficult to match lighting and shadow contrast to a 3D background.  That is why the women walking in the white shirt stands out as she should be in shadow but appears as if she is n bright sun. Conversely, the women on the bench is in bright sun but there is no self-shadowing.

Now is the trash modeled or also a 2D cut-out?  The box behind the trash-can and the bottle on top of it look to be part of the same scene so they must be modeled.  But pizza box and empty coke bottle do not look like they are part of the scene so I am wondering if they are a 2D cut-out.  As it was already mentioned that there was too much trash, just remove them.  The box behind the trash-can and the bottle on top are enough.

But overall, you have come a long way and I can see the improvement.  Remember, you are trying to model reality....no one ever said reality was easy!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community