New 3080 PC Build Performance vs 2014 iMac.

Wait, were all your original posts about working in octane render too, or just this recent one?

Also, the work machine, are you running these projects from your local drive or directly from the network?

Right click your computer desktop, do you see "nvidia control panel" as an option?

Hi, yes the original posts are regarding Octane on the office PC, and non-Octane at home on the Macs.

The files are all on our pCloud storage, but I think it works the same on local drives too, I'll double check that now!

Yes, I see Nvidia Control Panel as an option.

Well hang on, now im extra confused. Youre testing octane projects on the work pc, and non-octane projects on the macs at home? so youre testing 2 completely unrelated, incomparable rendering engines?

Also, you're opening files from an online streaming storage server at work, which likely tops out at 10mb/sec or so, and from a 4000mb/sec ssd at home on the mac?

25 minutes ago, imashination said:

Also, you're opening files from an online streaming storage server at work, which likely tops out at 10mb/sec or so, and from a 4000mb/sec ssd at home on the mac?

No, all projects are being tested from the cloud, whether at home or in the office. I will localise this particular project and try it from an external SSD this evening on both machines.

And I find the same issue regardless of Octane, if I disable all scatters and delete all materials on the PC and just work in the viewport with wireframe I have the same issues.

When I first discovered this performance difference, I was working on a character rig without any Octane elements and the difference in viewport wireframe rendering was staggering. So Octane seems to be irrelevant in this problem.

20 minutes ago, imashination said:

Well hang on, now im extra confused. Youre testing octane projects on the work pc, and non-octane projects on the macs at home? so youre testing 2 completely unrelated, incomparable rendering engines?

Yes they are 'unrelated' engines but surely the PC should outperform the Macs when opening the same project. They are comparable in the sense that the 7 year old one is working better than the 6 month old one, and I was wondering if I'm missing something obvious in setting up the PC for C4D viewport performance.

You're introducing too many variables. If you're working directly from a cloud drive, you have no idea what the OS is doing behind the scenes. Perhaps the mac version of the software is caching files locally before opening them, maybe the pc version is streaming them directly from the cloud. For all you know the windows file could be endlessly trying to stream data and all your slowdown is entirely because of the cloud drive.

If you're going to try and compare performance, you need the same plugins installed and to be testing the exact same file, from a local drive. Maybe the octane enabled pc machine is busy processing materials in the background, the mac cant because maybe it doesnt have the plugin installed.

There's nothing special you need to setup for the computer at all other than to have it fundamentally working.

Yeah I assume when I open it at home and the Mac tells me 'these Octane plugins are all missing', it must be disabling a lot of stuff and I guess I want to be able to replicate that at the office, by 'dumbing down' the project to its bare-bones. This is what I tried to do by disabling materials and shading.

But your comments on the cloud are probably the main issue, it could be a pCloud/Win issue. I will run some tests from portable SSDs and see what I find.

Thanks for your help.