Render time explanations

Hi,

I've just bought a new pc with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and 32Go RAM corsair dual kit + a RTX 3070 EVGA, a solid computer.

I've created a scene where I make sheeps jump. 

When I render this scene on my new computer, it takes 1min of preparation per frame, then some 10secs to render. And when I render this very same file on my macbook pro (so nothing fancy here) I get the same results.

Is it normal ? Is there something that I must configure on my computer in order to get the most performance out of it ?

I'm confused by these preparation durations.

For those who read me (thank you), I've attached the scene and the HDRI.

Thanks !

Archive.zip

I dont have corona here to test, but it could be related to the physics of hair being generated. If youre rendering frame 90 then thats 90 frames of animation to generate the physics for, this could be your 1 minute preparing time.

First of all, this issue is a C4D issue and not a Corona specific one. When I delete the Cloth and Dynamics tags, not only can I render a frame in 15 seconds, but it plays in the viewport at 20 fps. I don't see the need for the Cloth collider tags at all and not sure why half the sheep have the Cloth tag and the other half have the Dynamics tag. The squash effect seems to still be there when these tags are removed.

In most cases where the Cloth and Dynamics tags are used, you would Bake the dynamics first, then the render engine just grabs that cached info and renders the image. It also will play in real-time in the viewport and you can scrub the timeline without messing up the simulation. Maybe you can elaborate more on your scene.

Well, most dynamics can be cached in one place. If you go to Project Settings --> Dynamics tab --> Cache then hit Bake. You will see your Dynamics tags have changed which is an indication you're using Cached calculations. Keep in mind, that if you change any dynamics settings or move objects, you will need to re-bake the cache or your animation with play back as before and not reflect your changes. Some tags, like the hair tag, have its own cache button. Same thing. Click to bake and again after any alterations.

Another tip. In your example of animation interacting with hair (grass), if it takes too long to calculate, you can use simple invisible objects around the legs and feet that are child objects of the actual legs. Give THOSE objects the dynamics tags. This will make the calculations much lighter. You may have to make these simple shapes get close to the real geometry so it doesn't appear the dynamics are hitting air. This is how the dynamic car setups work. A simplistic car and tire shape that handle the dynamics. The actual car is just a child of this simple shape, so it moves along with it without having to calculate all that detailed mesh information.