3080 SHUTTING DOWN PC NO TEMPERATURE PROBLEMS OR PSU

Go to solution Solved by Pilasters,

Guys i have a brand new pc, ryzen 3900 x 9 , rtx 3080, asus master pro, psu 1050 watt, 2 m2 ssd 2 tera each, 32gb ram.
My pc turn off when rendering high poly scene, or with octane for example.
I just recived a 1050 psu cuz i thought my 850w wasnt enough... but nothing changed.
Im freaking out, pls help if possible.
regards, luca

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section / retitled (see edit history)

Pls take care to post in the right place, which isn't general discussions. Moved to hardware etc. Also pls read our rules on post titling.

Almost all power-down-during-render situations are caused by overheating. And the 30 series of video cards are infamous for how ridiculously hot they get...

What processor cooling options have you got going on, and what are your system and processor temps just before it dies, what is the temperature of the room it is in at the moment, do you have enough case fans, and is the PC otherwise well ventilated ?

CBR

• Cerbera changed the title to 3080 SHOOTING DOWN PC NO TEMPERATURE PROBLEMS OR PSU
12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Pls take care to post in the right place, which isn't general discussions. Moved to hardware etc. Also pls read our rules on post titling.

Almost all power-down-during-render situations are caused by overheating. And the 30 series of video cards are infamous for how ridiculously hot they get...

What processor cooling options have you got going on, and what are your system and processor temps just before it dies, what is the temperature of the room it is in at the moment, do you have enough case fans, and is the PC otherwise well ventilated ?

CBR

ehy much thanks for ur reply,
the case is well ventilated with 3 vents of good quality and it has enough space.
I runned all kind of tests, and checked the temperature and they are stable when the pc crashed.
It does that after 3 min rendering, otherwise it works perfectly.

You say you bought a more powerful psu, but how have youre wired it in? Are you using a single cable from the psu to the graphics card which then splits into x2 connectors, or are you running 2 full pcie power cables to the card which would leave you with 2 spare 8 pin headers. 2 cables will give a more stable system.

Are you using any pcie risers for vertical gpus etc

does rendering with c4d's standard render engine crash or only gpu engines like octane?

which gpu drivers, version number, dch, studio or standard.

which 3080 card do you have?

15 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, but rendering is the only time your system is under pressure and temps rise. You need to be tracking the temps on both GPU and CPU as it renders to get a proper idea of what temps are.

CBR

ehy man this is the screen of my task manager right before it shoots down
thanks again, do u see anything unusual?

Screenshot_20210206-000452.jpg

No, and nor do you ! That is not showing you temps at all is it ?!

You should find specific utilities (usually provided by manufacturer) for both processor fan / CPU monitoring and same for GPU.

There are other people more hardware-experienced than me, so will leave specific recommendations to them...

CBR

14 minutes ago, imashination said:

You say you bought a more powerful psu, but how have youre wired it in? Are you using a single cable from the psu to the graphics card which then splits into x2 connectors, or are you running 2 full pcie power cables to the card which would leave you with 2 spare 8 pin headers. 2 cables will give a more stable system.

Are you using any pcie risers for vertical gpus etc

does rendering with c4d's standard render engine crash or only gpu engines like octane?

which gpu drivers, version number, dch, studio or standard.

which 3080 card do you have?

hi man, i do run it on 2 pci cables as it shall be.
no pcie risers atm.
The crashing happens rendering also with built in engine of c44d, any version i use... and it does that also while building lights too big with ue4.
I am using the last version us invidia studio drivers, 461.40.
The 3080 is the ventus 3x 10gb
regards

11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, and nor do you ! That is not showing you temps at all is it ?!

You should find specific utilities (usually provided by manufacturer) for both processor fan / CPU monitoring and same for GPU.

There are other people more hardware-experienced than me, so will leave specific recommendations to them...

CBR

much thanks man, anyway it says temp of the gpu 40 C when shootig down, which is cool i guess....
thanks again foe ur time!

• Solution

At a guess I'd say it may be your CPU temp not your GPU.. 
Your attached note before shutdown says CPU usage 77%, and you seem to get same result for any version of C4d renderers - standard, physical are all CPU.  I suggest install CPU-Z to monitor CPU temp. 
I'd check the cooling for your Ryzen 3900, and if it's working correctly- there was a version of 3900 that came without the default cooler,  a more powerful liquid cooler was recommended. 

Otherwise it would be useful to know what GPU render engine you were using.

Regards

Edit: Sorry not CPU-Z, Real Temp was the one I was thinking of, but whatever does the job for Ryzen.

3 hours ago, Pilasters said:

At a guess I'd say it may be your CPU temp not your GPU.. 
Your attached note before shutdown says CPU usage 77%, and you seem to get same result for any version of C4d renderers - standard, physical are all CPU.  I suggest install CPU-Z to monitor CPU temp. 
I'd check the cooling for your Ryzen 3900, and if it's working correctly- there was a version of 3900 that came without the default cooler,  a more powerful liquid cooler was recommended. 

Otherwise it would be useful to know what GPU render engine you were using.

Regards

Edit: Sorry not CPU-Z, Real Temp was the one I was thinking of, but whatever does the job for Ryzen.

ehy man i ve been running diff tests to stress the CPU now and everything seems normal.
I want to point out that i am using a liquid cooler on my ryzen 3900.
The PC is actually shooting down while rendering both with OCTANE or the built in engine of C4D or even UE4.
When the PC turn OFF it doesnt turn back, i have to manually turn it back on, plus it doesnt send any errors to windows about any temerature issues or so on.
Windows seems to dont even recognize the problem.
I just changed my power supply from GAMEMAX 850w to GAMEMAX 1050w thinking it would solve the proble, but it did not.
Hope i answered u to everything u asked me, much thanks for ur time.
regards, Luca.

IMG_20210205_234240.jpg

• Cerbera changed the title to 3080 SHUTTING DOWN PC NO TEMPERATURE PROBLEMS OR PSU

Ok, the fact that cpu render engines crash you out is a pretty good sign that we can rule out the gpu and psu. So another question, did you build this system yourself or was it prebuilt? My next steps if I were fixing my own system:

Your memory is in the wrong slots. You should place one stick in the memory slot furthest away from the cpu, then leave one slot blank and put the second stick in the next slot. Like this:

[CPU] [Empty slot] [ram stick] [Empty slot] [ram stick]

Check cpu temperatures. Install ryzen master and read off how hot the cpu is getting when you start rendering. It should remain under 80c for your cpu, any higher than this and you have a problem.

If the temps are too high, check the heatsink is attached properly, that there is grey thermal paste on it and that some genius hasnt left the plastic packaging on the metal plate.

If there are no temp problems I would remove every component you can to see if this helps, if so then you know it is likely one of them. Limit usb devices to mouse and keyboard, remove any usb sticks, drives, network cables, printers etc. Use a single monitor. Remove any hdd or ssd that you dont need to boot and run c4d. Remove every stick of ram except for 1 stick (put it in the memory slot furthest from the cpu) remove any extra sound cards. If it works, start adding them one by one until you can no longer do a 5 minute render.

Run a ram checker. memtest will let you know if it is a bad stick of ram.. or crash you whilst testing.

Check you have installed all system drivers. Install the full motherboard manufacturer's suite of drivers to make sure you have the chipset extra installed.

turn XMP / DOCP off in the bios

Reset and update your bios

run the reinstall windows command