Telephone Arc Shape Modeling

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Well, it's all a matter of perspective and experience. There is nothing about this that is particularly hard or awkward; you just need some rather specific topology in the right places. I'll show you the way after dinner... but in case you wanna start right without me you'll be needing a disc primitive with an inner radius, and (I'm gonna guess) around 48 radial segments.

CBR

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well, it's all a matter of perspective and experience. There is nothing about this that is particularly hard or awkward; you just need some rather specific topology in the right places. I'll show you the way after dinner... but in case you wanna start right without me you'll be needing a disc primitive with an inner radius, and (I'm gonna guess) around 48 radial segments.

CBR

Thanks so much!

• Solution

Nope I was 4 out 🙂 We need 52 radials. This is stage 1, which we are building flat initially...

image.thumb.png.6bf339e1aca06803cc4876a28db51926.png

image.thumb.png.2c6914d6b1983c30c0c28d9054aa56fb.png

Ok, so that's (almost) the topo we need there to handle all the inner details and nicely deal with the soft curve inwards at the centre without going all lumpy under SDS. I'm sure you can see but I started that with 2 primitives - my 52 segment disc, and a much smaller 8 segment one, which I used to define the perimeter of the ridge indents (leftmost orange selection in top screenie), disconnected each half, then moved the lower half down, then bridged and copied it into the shape of those ridges. They then got their ends melted into quads, and inner extruded, and then it's just a case of connecting and deleting all those together, and then patching it into a single contiguous form, making sure you don't do anything silly with edge flow that contravenes the shapes we are going to make out of this when it has proper depth. Oh, and before I did my patching I cut my combined model in half and applied symmetry, nicely halving the amount of time I needed to spend quad-patching, which, incidentally, I did mostly in an orthographic view with poly pen, loop cut, stitch n sew, bridge etc...

Additionally, we must make some effort to ensure these 2 edge loops are perfectly circular.

image.thumb.png.af1bfbdd17471cfe9fb91c566b9906e4.png

So that's stage 1. Back in a bit with Stage 2 if I don't fall asleep first; if not it'll be tomorrow !

CBR

20 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nope I was 4 out 🙂 We need 52 radials. This is stage 1, which we are building flat initially...

Ok, so that's (almost) the topo we need there to handle all the inner details and nicely deal with the soft curve inwards at the centre without going all lumpy under SDS. I'm sure you can see but I started that with 2 primitives - my 52 segment disc, and a much smaller 8 segment one, which I used to define the perimeter of the ridge indents (leftmost orange selection in top screenie), disconnected each half, then moved the lower half down, then bridged and copied it into the shape of those ridges. They then got their ends melted into quads, and inner extruded, and then it's just a case of connecting and deleting all those together, and then patching it into a single contiguous form, making sure you don't do anything silly with edge flow that contravenes the shapes we are going to make out of this when it has proper depth. Oh, and before I did my patching I cut my combined model in half and applied symmetry, nicely halving the amount of time I needed to spend quad-patching, which, incidentally, I did mostly in an orthographic view with poly pen, loop cut, bridge etc...

Additionally, we must make some effort to ensure these 2 edge loops are perfectly circular.

So that's stage 1. Back in a bit with Stage 2 if I don't fall asleep first; if not it'll be tomorrow !

CBR

Can you share your working file with me?

22 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, so that's (almost) the topo we need there to handle all the inner details and nicely deal with the soft curve inwards at the centre without going all lumpy under SDS. I'm sure you can see but I started that with 2 primitives - my 52 segment disc, and a much smaller 8 segment one, which I used to define the perimeter of the ridge indents (leftmost orange selection in top screenie), disconnected each half, then moved the lower half down, then bridged and copied it into the shape of those ridges. They then got their ends melted into quads, and inner extruded, and then it's just a case of connecting and deleting all those together, and then patching it into a single contiguous form, making sure you don't do anything silly with edge flow that contravenes the shapes we are going to make out of this when it has proper depth. Oh, and before I did my patching I cut my combined model in half and applied symmetry, nicely halving the amount of time I needed to spend quad-patching, which, incidentally, I did mostly in an orthographic view with poly pen, loop cut, bridge etc...

CBR

I was starting with this disk shape..but it was hard to make rectangular shape under the disk...

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Ideally not, because that's me doing it for you and not teaching you anything !

CBR

But...I don't understand what you are talking about... I was just trying to keep rectangular shape to get right topology...

4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ideally not, because that's me doing it for you and not teaching you anything ! At least have a go !

CBR

How did you make the disk shape + Rectangular shape?

Don't worry about the rectangular shape - that is coming in Stage 3. We need to start with centre details, so I'd use the time I take eating dinner to try and create that topology I showed you however you think is best - you must understand some of what I said - I wasn't much short of giving you step-by-steps...

CBR

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Don't worry about the rectangular shape - that is coming in Stage 2. We need to start with centre details, so I'd use the time I take eating dinner to try and create that topology I showed you however you think is best...

CBR

But I don't understand what you've explained...did you add Subdivision Surface on it? I'd like to see basic shape to understand better...

Yes it's SDS (sorry, I did presume that was obvious) and here is my mesh with that turned off. You can load it as a background in your viewport, and then make your topology identical that way. Don't forget with symmetry you only need to make half of it !

image.thumb.png.720d6662dcbf8df7c4314dd51680ae43.png

CBR