Telephone Arc Shape Modeling

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Don't worry about the rectangular shape - that is coming in Stage 2. We need to start with centre details, so I'd use the time I take eating dinner to try and create that topology I showed you however you think is best - you must understand some of what I said - I wasn't much short of giving you step-by-steps...

CBR

I'd like to start it from this simple shape I made...Is it possible?

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes it's SDS (sorry, I did presume that was obvious) and here is my mesh with that turned off. You can load it as a background in your viewport, and then make your topology identical that way.

image.thumb.png.720d6662dcbf8df7c4314dd51680ae43.png

CBR

Did you make the mesh like this tutorial ? 

Here was my starting point, if it helps.

image.thumb.png.08af1b7abc6fb3f3a9b51d3c28a93c7a.png

So that's just a 52 segment disc and 1 smaller disc (8 segs) which I split in half using Disconnect, quadded, then moved down to get the other ends. At that point I just copied it 5 times and lined them up over the reference, and then the next stage is bridging between them (bridge tool) and the using Plane cut to insert the loops I need for the central holes.

image.thumb.png.eaf99cd08e4cc0c6c47d634d070ab157.png

Then all you have to do is patch it together using my topology as a reference. 

CBR

Stage 2 is where we deform that centre section, and start to add depth to our flat starting mesh.

693515789_IntercomStage2.thumb.gif.4b08ccac1cdd56aee89603630b089eac.gif

VP clay render, SDS isoparms, base mesh.

So here I have refined the topology by adding reinforcing control loops to the the outer of the circular centre bit, so we keep that circular, and I have added another loop inside that (loop cut / proportional) so I make sure I have got enough topology to deform properly in the next bit, which is to do the centre bowl indent.

You'd think soft selection would be a good plan for this, but I'm afraid that makes a bit of a dogs ar*e out of it, even with ideal settings, so the preferable option is to whack a 5 x 5 FFD on your flat mesh, and simply drop the center point until you get the nice curve ! Don't worry when this also affects some points outside the circle area; we don't need to tit about with restriction tags, because we will deal with that next much more easily.

image.thumb.png.849fc3adbd188213018fb21d4195f5c4.png

An FFD deformer, yesterday...

So when happy with the centre dip do Current State to object, to bake that deformer in. Then select all the polys outside the circle you have just dipped and force them planar (using zero scale + shift), moving the modelling axis first to Y Max (in my case) so you shift them in the right direction. This should leave just the central portion inside the circle indented.

Last step there was selecting the polys comprising the ridges, inner extruding them a tiny amount, then extruding down into the shell (with 3 segments for decent SDS tightness) then selected the polys I needed to cut out the holes with (4 polys per hole)did the same to them, but this time deleted once they had been dropped and inset.

Now it's just a case of selecting the outline edge loop, and ctrl-dragging it down to get your thickness, and adjusting the lower edge out to get the slight angle there.

Then I slided some edge loops about near the bottom to better reinforce the hole I was about to make, redistributed the adjacent edge flows, and then manually knifed in (line cut) my cut-out shape using the 'borrowed edge method' to tighten my corners without adding more loops.

In stage 3 we would expand this into the full shape of that section and add the rectangular bit up the back.

CBR

40 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Stage 2 is where we deform that centre section, and start to add depth to our flat starting mesh.

693515789_IntercomStage2.thumb.gif.4b08ccac1cdd56aee89603630b089eac.gif

VP clay render, SDS isoparms, base mesh.

So here I have refined the topology by adding reinforcing control loops to the the outer of the circular centre bit, so we keep that circular, and I have added another loop inside that (loop cut / proportional) so I make sure I have got enough topology to deform properly in the next bit, which is to do the centre bowl indent.

You'd think soft selection would be a good plan for this, but I'm afraid that makes a bit of a dogs ar*e out of it, even with ideal settings, so the preferable option is to whack a 5 x 5 FFD on your flat mesh, and simply drop the center point until you get the nice curve ! Don't worry when this also affects some points outside the circle area, because we will deal with that next.

image.thumb.png.849fc3adbd188213018fb21d4195f5c4.png

FFD deforms centre section...

So when happy with the centre dip do Current State to object, to bake that deformer in. Then select all the polys outside the circle you have just dipped and force them planar (using zero scale + shift), moving the modelling axis first to Y Max (in my case) so you shift them in the right direction. This should leave just the central potion inside the circle indented.

Last step there was selecting the polys comprising the ridges, inner extruding them a tiny amount, then extruding down into the shell (with 3 segments for decent SDS tightness) then selected the polys I needed to cut out the holes with (4 polys per hole)did the same to them, but this time deleted once they had been dropped and inset.

Now it's just a case of selecting the outline edge loop, and ctrl-dragging it down to get your thickness, and adjusting the lower edge out to get the slight angle there.

Then I slided some edge loops about near the bottom to better reinforce the hole I was about to make, redistributed the adjacent edge flows, and then manually knifed in (line cut) my cut-out shape using the 'borrowed edge method' to tighten my corners without adding more loops.

In stage 3 we would expand this into the full shape of that section and add the rectangular bit up the back.

CBR

wow...

Right - bit more help with stage 3 - this time I made you progress gifs as I went along, which you can load into PS and pause to get some step detail.

So in 35 screens or so we'll fix the back bit and finish up...

514813584_IntercomStage3.thumb.gif.b8644a0e3cac24dfcaa71abe61bd762b.gif

All fairly standard stuff again - ctrl dragging to extrude or scale out edge loops, a lot of tweaking and evening up of loops and a tiny amount of edge flow redirection and re-cornering near the end, but otherwise all very straightforward. But as you can imagine it would have been downright impossible to get topology like that using splines. Sure you could have blagged it with the Volume Builder or crappy booles, but once you are in the zone, that really doesn't take much less time than modelling it properly, and the result this way is always superior to things built in lesser ways.

The key lessons to be learned here are:

1. Sometimes you need more polys than you'd think to describe a form, even under SDS. Here that is true because of the centre details.

2. therefore... base your initial mesh density on details you know are coming later

3. Starting building stuff flat and laying down the edge flows you need based on whatever primitives are appropriate

4. Try and keep poly distribution as even as you can, but also seek to reduce it in areas where detail is not needed, and increase it just where it is. Keep detail local if you can, even if it means topo redirection, loop foldbacks and quad solves.

5. Use deformers, particularly bends and FFD to shape geo where it is more convenient to do so.

6. Use symmetry wherever you can and get used to collapsing (for whole form circular based scaling and transforms) and reapplying it afterwards.

7. Choose the right type of corners - box corners for sharp transitions, and inset type for more extreme SDS rounding. Convert from one to the other if needed.

Hope that helps...

CBR

14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Right - bit more help with stage 3 - this time I made you progress gifs as I went along, which you can load into PS and pause to get some step detail.

All fairly standard stuff again - ctrl dragging to extrude or scale out edge loops, a lot of tweaking and evening up of loops and a tiny amount of edge flow redirection and re-cornering near the end, but otherwise all very straightforward. But as you can imagine it would have been downright impossible to get topology like that using splines. Sure you could have blagged it with the Volume Builder or crappy booles, but once you are in the zone, that really doesn't take much less time than modelling it properly, and the result this way is always superior to things built in lesser ways.

1. Sometimes you need more polys than you'd think to describe a form, even under SDS. Here that is true because of the centre details.

2. therefore... base your initial mesh density on details you know are coming later

3. Starting building stuff flat and laying down the edge flows you need based on whatever primitives are appropriate

4. Try and keep poly distribution as even as you can, but also seek to reduce it in areas where detail is not needed, and increase it just where it is. Keep detail local if you can, even if it means topo redirection, loop foldbacks and quad solves.

5. Use deformers, particularly bends and FFD to shape geo where it is more convenient to do so.

6. Use symmetry wherever you can and get used to collapsing (for whole form circular based scaling and transforms) and reapplying it afterwards.

7. Choose the right type of corners - box corners for sharp transitions, and inset type for more extreme SDS rounding. Convert from one to the other if needed.

Hope that helps...

CBR

I will take a look. I always appreciate you!

On 2/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, Cerbera said:

Hope that helps...

CBR

I just followed what you did.  Then I got result in like this attached below. I think I am a better now. But I have a question...How to end up making the backplate of phone? I've tried it...the corner seems to be not right though...

screenshot.jpg