Cinema 4D Indie version - What's your opinion about this?

okazaky

Cinema 4D Indie version  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a C4D Indie version?

• Yes, Cinema 4D is too expensive compared to other packages and I've switched to another package or I am planning to do so.
    • Yes, Cinema 4D is too expensive compared to other packages but I'm not planning to switch to another package.
    • No, Cinema 4D is not too expensive and there's no need for a Indie version.
    • I'm not sure about this / I don't care.

• Customer
11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Houdini Indie cca 260$, you get full package, 2 render engines Mantra and Karma, Mantra is older, Karma is new and in the beta at the moment. Its CPU so far but they are planning to make it GPU also at some point. One whole year of updates. Only limitation is you cant earn more than 100 000$ per year.

I've never understood how that license works... What prevents the owner from hiding earnings from SideFX ? Even if SideFX compels the user to submit to them any kind of state-acknowledged legal financial reports it doesn't prevent fraudulence... I guess the evidence are submitted via email (so they can be photoshoped). Unless they do it by postage. 
And what if that amount is exceeded ? Is there a kind of penalty depending on the extra earnings ?

1 minute ago, HappyPolygon said:

I've never understood how that license works... What prevents the owner from hiding earnings from SideFX ? Even if SideFX compels the user to submit to them any kind of state-acknowledged legal financial reports it doesn't prevent fraudulence... I guess the evidence are submitted via email (so they can be photoshoped). Unless they do it by postage. 
And what if that amount is exceeded ? Is there a kind of penalty depending on the extra earnings ?

Probably nothing, honestly. But if they have some kind of control I'd look at stuff that gets put out there, look at the studio size and be like "hmm, this looks like it's been done with Houdini and that Studio has 20 employees".

Or they just don't care and they make enough money because people that actually love their tools pay for them, if they can.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

1 minute ago, HappyPolygon said:

I really dont know and its a good question. It all depends on what is in that agreement you agree upon when buying. I guess people can try and full around but then probably some legal issues would be implied if you somehow get caught.

Just now, Igor said:

I really dont know and its a good question. It all depends on what is in that agreement you agree upon when buying. I guess people can try and full around but then probably some legal issues would be implied if you somehow get caught.

Yeah I can imagine that they absolutely will not play around if you get caught.

Not to mention, if you need technical support for some reason it'll probably rather easy for them to find out...

1 minute ago, hikarubr said:

The same thing that prevents people from pirating the software: honesty. 

Not to mention that if I use and love a software, I want more of it. And I only get more if I pay. Because of nobody pays the company will just die.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Houdini Indie cca 260$, you get full package, 2 render engines Mantra and Karma, Mantra is older, Karma is new and in the beta at the moment. Its CPU so far but they are planning to make it GPU also at some point. One whole year of updates. Only limitation is you cant earn more than 100 000$ per year.

1 hour ago, HappyPolygon said:

1 hour ago, hikarubr said:

No reason to have limited functionality. Maya Indie and 3ds Max Indie are full versions of Maya and 3ds Max, no restriction. They only restrict WHO can get the indie version - people with revenue lower than U$100k a year. 

I think a C4D indie should cost no more than U$250 a year. That's the only way C4d will survive. Otherwise Cinema 4D will join Lightwave in the category of "forgotten software that once was a professional choice" (keep in mind that this happened with Bodypaint 3D and MAXON didn't care...)

It is not true that Houdini Indie is only limited to $ 100,000 in revenue per year. The main limitation is the file saving format. Files saved in the Indie version cannot be opened in the Artist or Studio versions. Additionally, one company can only have 3 licenses in the Indie version.

Limitations in the file format mean that a large studio cannot even work with a freelancer who works on the Indie version. Therefore, it is an effective safeguard.

On the other hand, Maya and 3D Max in the Indie versions are limited to projects in which you can participate, in addition to revenues. The projects cannot exceed this amount (even if you do only a part of the work yourself). Therefore, it is impossible to work in these versions, e.g. on assets for a game development studio.

Autodesk does not implement physical safeguards, but does hire third parties to investigate license abuse.

MAXON has never acted like Autodesk, never hired companies looking for piracy and misuse of licenses. That's why it's hard for them to follow the Autodesk path.

2 minutes ago, Arte said:

It is not true that Houdini Indie is only limited to $ 100,000 in revenue per year. The main limitation is the file saving format. Files saved in the Indie version cannot be opened in the Artist or Studio versions. Additionally, one company can only have 3 licenses in the India version.

Limitations in the file format mean that a large studio cannot even work with a freelancer who works on the Indie version. Therefore, it is an effective safeguard.

Didn't know that, thanks for heads up, its good to know that. That makes much more sense then... 🙂 Where ever I've read on limitations, they must have been wrong.

• Customer
16 minutes ago, Mike A said:

...if you are a freelancer working solo (eg: not as a cog in of a bigger pipeline)  it's a steal TBH.

100%. I went for the 2 year sub which is even more value.

i always though MAXON should make an instagram version of c4d, which outputs only square renders 1080x1080 🙂

Then people could use it to learn and make a portfolio, would make money to buy a full license.

and it would pretty effectively prevent any professionals from using it for most projects.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community