Cinema 4D Indie version - What's your opinion about this?

Cinema 4D Indie version  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a C4D Indie version?

• Yes, Cinema 4D is too expensive compared to other packages and I've switched to another package or I am planning to do so.
    • Yes, Cinema 4D is too expensive compared to other packages but I'm not planning to switch to another package.
    • No, Cinema 4D is not too expensive and there's no need for a Indie version.
    • I'm not sure about this / I don't care.

• Silver Contributor
13 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Then at some point, inevitably, C4D users are going to die out, new studios are not going to use it, income will dry out. Sure, years ago when Blender wasn't as popular people just used a cracked C4D version to learn, as @Shrike mentioned above. But nowadays they're just going to use Blender, especially since it's only getting better and better.

Honestly, I think MAXON sales would increase if they offered an indie perpetual license for 50% of the current price ($1750 base and $500 upgrade cost) but with rendering limited to 2560 x 1440 and animations limited to 300 frames.  That keeps it purely in the hobbyist category -- big enough to appreciate your work on mid-range monitors with animations long enough to show off what you just learned.

Of course, they could do nothing and let the hobbyist market completely go to Blender.  I wonder how painful it will be for them to watch Blender catch up and over-take C4D in ALL areas (interface, features, speed, quality, stability).  I would imagine that will be a painful thing to endure after all the work they have put into it.  But there is time for MAXON to consider an Indie version because given Blender's pace of development they have at least until...hmmm....say.......some time in June before they need to start worrying.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it that Houdini, 3ds Max and Maya all have very affordable and powerful indie versions and C4d does not?   When I purchased c4D studio (R17) it came with two years of MSA free. So I p

I'm in the first camp, have already switched to Blender. I used to teach Cinema 4D and now I teach Blender, mainly to beginners. MAXON is completely overlooking that group of people, they have nothing

What is really scary is that Greyscale Gorilla is now going the 100% subscription route.  All perpetual license sales are ending.  As an owner of their plugins (Signal and GorillaCam) they will only s

Over the last 20+ years, I've tried every 3D program that's come down the line. I've been a C4D user pretty much from the beginning. I tried it out and put it aside for about three years. Then I was hooked. It's definitely become expensive to operate as a one-person shop. I've also had Blender from its inception and still have no love for it. I keep updating it and trying it but so far, only for transferring my models to it format for sale. At some point I do hope that C4D figures out how to satisfy the indie market. 

• Silver Contributor
On 3/16/2021 at 5:39 AM, tdpubs said:

Over the last 20+ years, I've tried every 3D program that's come down the line. I've been a C4D user pretty much from the beginning. I tried it out and put it aside for about three years. Then I was hooked. It's definitely become expensive to operate as a one-person shop. I've also had Blender from its inception and still have no love for it. I keep updating it and trying it but so far, only for transferring my models to it format for sale. At some point I do hope that C4D figures out how to satisfy the indie market

Agreed and agreed!

But I do think it will be some time until MAXON considers the indie market simply because there is no compelling financial need for them to do so right now.  Listen to this podcast from Corridor Digital (at this point  - around 1:06:50) of their artists talking about C4D vs. Blender vs. Max and why they are moving to C4D.  Their biggest criticism is when companies stop investing in developing, growing and/or fixing issues with their programs.  They are drawn to C4D because they feel it is still being improved and is growing and well supported by tons of tutorials.  So as long as C4D has that type of draw, MAXON will do nothing.

Now, at some point in the future, C4D's core will be fully implemented, the gap in features between it and its competitors will be slim enough not to be factor in any decisions and the whole market begins to become a commodity.  Every package will only be differentiated by the loyalty of their user base rather than their feature set.  All markets reach this point.  I have no idea how many years away this will be, but it will happen.

It will ONLY be at that point that MAXON tries to expand their user base by going after indies because they will no longer be able to do it by its features.

In short, don't hold your breath until then.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

3 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Their biggest criticism is when companies stop investing in developing, growing and/or fixing issues with their programs.  They are drawn to C4D because they feel it is still being improved and is growing and well supported by tons of tutorials.  So as long as C4D has that type of draw, MAXON will do nothing.

Agreed. I find it a bit surprising they say that about C4D especially as a channel that focus on VFX. There are much better options for a pure VFX workflow than C4D, which main usability comes from it's mograph toolset. I guess from the "Content Creator" perspective it's good to have a tool that your audience can grasp quickly should they want to start using it and I'm sure they have some sort of deal with MAXON like free licenses or something.

Personally haven't really seen much progress in some (IMO)necessary areas over the past few years. And their latest UV update is still a far cry from other tools(UDIMS anyone?). I've basically switched all general 3D tasks(UV+Modeling) to Blender plus some Addons(Like an excellent UVpacker addon) especially as a lot of my work starts moving towards real-time renderers like Unreal or Unity. 

Blender has been coming out with major updates almost every 4-6 months and on top of this have some of the most active plugin/addon Dev's in the 3D community. I think they may not have had used C4D long enough to be disappointed hah. It also doesn't help that MAXON is completely opaque about what they're working on. Every summer it's a guessing game for me about what's going to be updated or fixed and honestly as soon as they went subscription I stopped paying. Happy with R21 for now. I wonder how long it'll take for them to implement Scene Nodes? I feel like nearly every other program is beating them to the punch now including Autodesk. 

Ultimately though they're just tools. 3DSmax can do some insane stuff. Just look at what Chuvabak is doing.

20 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Listen to this podcast from Corridor Digital (at this point  - around 1:06:50) of their artists talking about C4D vs. Blender vs. Max and why they are moving to C4D. 

Interesting that they said they came to c4d because of the Community. I started c4d way before tit got "cool" to use. But ever since then I got the impression that cinema mainly grew a big community because of three things. First their UI and UX, basically the logic behind the user interface that is consistent through out the program. second the good accessibility. Blender was really no thing for a long time and all the other mayor packages where always more expensive. (MAXON back in the days was also super generous to students (much more than now). And Third because MAXON was really consistent and pleasant in the way they treated their customers.

The UI still is great, the price is still ok even though not as good as it was. But time has changed and c4d is not only competing against the other packages but also against blender. Which of course is the reason for the indi versions in the first place. And for point Three I have to say. The treatment of existing customers got worse unfortunately, in my opinion.

The Community we have now results of the work done the last 10 to 20 years. In 10 to 20 Years we will see how things played out.

4 hours ago, Jops said:

Interesting that they said they came to c4d because of the Community. I started c4d way before tit got "cool" to use. But ever since then I got the impression that cinema mainly grew a big community because of three things. First their UI and UX, basically the logic behind the user interface that is consistent through out the program. second the good accessibility. Blender was really no thing for a long time and all the other mayor packages where always more expensive. (MAXON back in the days was also super generous to students (much more than now). And Third because MAXON was really consistent and pleasant in the way they treated their customers.

The UI still is great, the price is still ok even though not as good as it was. But time has changed and c4d is not only competing against the other packages but also against blender. Which of course is the reason for the indi versions in the first place. And for point Three I have to say. The treatment of existing customers got worse unfortunately, in my opinion.

The Community we have now results of the work done the last 10 to 20 years. In 10 to 20 Years we will see how things played out.

Yes and quite honestly the Blender community is immense. I'm constantly amazed by their output. 

6 hours ago, briankoko said:

such as no logical way of copying a modifier from one object to another without remembering a weird shortcut

Rejoice! In the latest version of Blender it is now possible to drag a modifier to another object in the outliner to copy it!

Blasphemy!  🤩

• Silver Contributor
18 hours ago, briankoko said:

... Removing Cineversity for anyone not on the subscription was another slap in the face.

Not allowing perpetual users to access Cineversity in full - or even to subscribe to it at a reasonable price - is just about the biggest middle finger gesture 'Mr MAXON' could make. It tells me everything I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Not allowing perpetual users to access Cineversity in full - or even to subscribe to it at a reasonable price - is just about the biggest middle finger gesture 'Mr MAXON' could make. It tells me everything I need to know.

Jup in every possible way perpetual is deprived. it is obvious where things are going 😞

15 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

Rejoice! In the latest version of Blender it is now possible to drag a modifier to another object in the outliner to copy it!

Blasphemy!  🤩

Wow! you a right! Thank you!

• Igor unfeatured this topic