Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

You guys are absolutely rocking it. Really interesting stuff.

Here's a quick, semi-random tip: If you're doing preview renders with Mantra, they have a really nice Click to Prioritize option, where if you hold down the left mouse button, it will focus the rendering only in that area. You can also enable Sticky Priority, so you can click to set the rendering area to focus on. Really handy way to quickly resolve areas of interest without having to wait for the whole frame to update. I wish all other renderers had this feature.

Didn't realise my replies would get merged. Just adding this line for the topic separation. @Igor:

11 hours ago, Igor said:

I did a small adjustment. And also, feel free to tell me what I might do better. 😊

image.png

Looking very cool. The nib looks a bit too flat. Does it have any thickness? You can try Labs Thicken to bulk it up.

2 hours ago, eikonoklastes said:

You guys are absolutely rocking it. Really interesting stuff.

Here's a quick, semi-random tip: If you're doing preview renders with Mantra, they have a really nice Click to Prioritize option, where if you hold down the left mouse button, it will focus the rendering only in that area. You can also enable Sticky Priority, so you can click to set the rendering area to focus on. Really handy way to quickly resolve areas of interest without having to wait for the whole frame to update. I wish all other renderers had this feature.

Didn't realise my replies would get merged. Just adding this line for the topic separation. @Igor:

Looking very cool. The nib looks a bit too flat. Does it have any thickness? You can try Labs Thicken to bulk it up.

Yea, Mantra is cool indeed with the really nice features, but unfortunately slow, so I choose to use Renderman. For next release they are announcing XPU support so that will be exciting to try out. So far I am super happy with it and I will try to master it through these exercises. 

I agree nib does look a bit flat, but I need to redoit anyway as this model is for mini modeling challenge we have here. 😊 Thanks for the inputs mate!

And well done sir Frodo!!!:cowboypistol:

I have added some details to the pen material and modeled another part of the pen and remodeled that nib. There is still room for improvement. I also carved some nib details inside Substance Painter for exercise. 

image.png

• 1 month later...
Guest Igor
13 minutes ago, csellers said:

I looked into Houdini for a little while but the nodes always intimidate me.  They are becoming standard for software like DaVinci, Nuke and 3D Texture applications like in Blender and Redshift so I guess I should just accept them and get used it it. 😆

Nothing to fear, Houdini nodes are not the same as others nodes. I can assure you there is nothing to fear. I have a lot of fun with them, as there is so much you can do. ☺️

• 2 weeks later...

I weren't updating here for a while so it would be nice to do so now. Here is a short video on my Houdini progress and a mini project I am doing in past 3 days. Hope you like it! :cowboypistol: 

I just realized its possible to copy and paste nodes from one scene to another, even tho we cant have more than once scene opened. On the other hand we can have multiple Houdini's opened at once, which can contain different scenes, which opens interesting possibilities,  which is pretty neat. 

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I just realized its possible to copy and paste nodes from one scene to another, even tho we cant have more than once scene opened. On the other hand we can have multiple Houdini's opened at once, which can contain different scenes, which opens interesting possibilities,  which is pretty neat. 

Lol if that wasn't the case I would have given up on Houdini pretty fast. I've looked at older scenes so much when I did some kind of setup and recreated it in another because I couldn't 100% remember how I did it.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Guest unfeatured this topic