Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

• Guest changed the title to Learning Adventures and Quests

Today I started with learning Houdini. I downloaded Apprentice version as it free and so far seems to be great for learning. I didn't stumbled upon any issues in my learning while following tutorials. I did have an weird installation issue, where I had to reach to SideFX forums which unfortunately just frustrated me to my core as my first post being deleted as moderators decided that the topic contain bug which was not the case, so I lost whole night trying to figure out where to seek for solution so I can be ready in the morning. After more than 24h I am still unable to post on the forums but luckily I was stubborn enough and I managed to find a solution in one of the older topics on their forums. After that helped, I still had some issues, but in the end managed to resolve those myself and now I was finally able to start learning Houdini again, after few years of absence.

So after 12h long session of Houdini for today I definitely achieved a lot and managed to break a big milestone. At first I have modeled a desk which is all procedural with a help from tutorial while chair, I managed to do it myself after little break I had. This is a big thing for me as I never dreamt about being able to manage Houndini, but it seems its not impossible. So to show what I did for today here are some screenshots.

Table Node Network:

table_network.png

Chair Node Network:

chair_node_network.png

and end results:

table_chair.png

While not looking special, they are fully procedural. Will continue with the Houdini adventures tomorrow, not its time to rest. :cowboypistol:

There is a tutorial series about Houdini called "Stop being afraid of Houdini". I heard it's pretty good 😉

Awesome that you're getting into that, it's something I'm planning on doing in the future as well but for now, it's still too intimidating for me... so kudos for actually diving in.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

1 hour ago, DasFrodo said:

There is a tutorial series about Houdini called "Stop being afraid of Houdini". I heard it's pretty good 😉

Awesome that you're getting into that, it's something I'm planning on doing in the future as well but for now, it's still too intimidating for me... so kudos for actually diving in.

Actually, you will not need to do that as pretty much you will have the same or very similar inside C4D soonish enough. On the other hand Houdini will cost you 269€ vs 3500€ for C4D so I guess you might choose Houdini in the end. So far I have tons of fun. Today I spent same amount of time on MoGraph/Scene Nodes like features called VOPs and VEXes. I also did some renderings with Mantra, all with apprentice version and I am kinda impressed...logic and workflows are super different from anything else I ever tried.

• Guest changed the title to Learning Adventures (-> Houdini)

Very Cool, IGOR. Now I see why a lot of motion designers are switching over to Houdini...it's like mograph on steroids! I installed the Apprentice version last year to experiment with the grain solver...I think it is time for a revisit. Will you be giving us your opinion of Mantra?

@Igor
I am. I somewhat use Houdini and Blender as a plug-in of some sort.
My main assembly software is still C4D, for now.

Houdini and Blender doesn't have a content browser. So you can't drag and drop assets to the a scene or save them to a library at ease.
Although Blender is planned to have a content browser in 2.93. Supposed to be in 2.92 but got delayed.

@Lonchaney Ill give my opinion on anything you guys would like, its gonna give me even more reasons to stick with it. Little bit of push here and there doesn't hurt, it actually gives you a bit of reasons to go back at least at this point. 

Considering Mantra, well, as I dont have the best of the bests HW, I would say its kinda slow, but results seems to be very nice. What I also know is that they are working on another renderer called Karma if I recall correctly, so far is still in beta but it should be better than Mantra all over  the place. I also thinking on just buying Indie version and go and try to stick with it. Going to Houdini seems like a natural if you are coming from C4D. In a lot of tutorials, C4D is often mentioned. 

@Lonchaney @bentraje what do you guys think if we create a Discord channel and talk about it there and see how it goes. Once we have some results we can always post them here and say few words about experience, after all its Cinema 4D forum, hehe? 🙂 

@Igor
Sure sure I don't mind I used discord on a daily basis.
But if you want some decent inputs from working professional, the most effective way is join the in mographdotcom.slack.com
there is a houdini channel in at slack.
the best thing about it is they are all C4D users.

So asking "this is how I want in C4D, how to do in houdini" would be a manageable question.

1 minute ago, bentraje said:

But if you want some decent inputs from working professional, the most effective way is join the in mographdotcom.slack.com
there is a houdini channel in at slack.

I would rather spend time with folks from here. 🙂 Then maybe once we are more proficient with it, join also elsewhere. 

• Guest changed the title to Houdini Tests and Impressions
  • Guest featured this topic
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic