Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

That is true, although I feel (at this point) that C4D works much more with it's very own VERY basic principles and these can be translated to almost any features. I am talking mainly about stuff like what tags do, that the order and parenting in the object manager matters, etc.

This is where I think Houdini is very convoluted because this node needs to be in this specific place, and this node NEEDS to be there for some arbitary reason that many people can't even explain in their tutorials, etc.

But clearly it's a very, VERY powerful tool and probably by far the most complex software I have ever worked with. Compared to others Houdini feels (at least for now) like it does not give you ANY restrictions or borders, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want.

I think I will need to jump ship from Apparentice to Indie very soon though, Mantra is just sooo slow and tedious to work with especially because I have Redshift license that also works with Houdini... but of course not with the Apprentice version 😕

Anyways, I'm rendering out a small animation right now, once it's done I'll post it here 😉

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Guest changed the title to Houdini Tests and Impressions
  • Guest featured this topic
1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - saw @Igor's scan render above and thought - wow - his Houdini modelling really HAS come on !! 🙂 

CBR

I wish man, but who knows, maybe one day! 😄 

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well that's all looking very acceptable isn't it ? 🙂

CBR

To my standards, yea, but I was not sure about yours. 😜

Well yes, if you want ultimate approval from me and the Quadfather then you'd have to fix that triangle hanging round like a fart at a party on his bracelet 😉 

But of course we know that subdivision is quadrifiying it anyway, so even that isn't strictly necessary, except if you're gunning for the A* !

CBR

11 minutes ago, Lonchaney said:

but I may have a go with Renderman based on your results...thanks for the heads up.

Trust me its worth it and its completely free without any restrictions if you are not using it for commercial purpose. 🙂 Otherwise its 600$ PERPETUAL! 🙂 I am working on a mini project right now and hopefully until Sunday I will be able to share more as I plan to model within Houdini and then render in renderman.

And its first XPU renderer out there and its really fast with a lot of flexibility, unfortunately you get XPU capability in Commercial version not in free. 

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic