Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

So far I only checked rigging and it super easy for basic stuff, didnt checked more advanced setups.

What I can tell you is that you dont need to fear it, you just need to understand that is totally different from other 3D apps. Like 360 different, only knowledge  you can transfer is general 3D stuff, that still applies, everything else is different. Saying that that’s no necessarily a bad thing. Once you start digging it, sky is a limit.

And yes, indie licence is around 250€ for a year and you get the updates. You also get two CPU renderers, Mantra and Karma, Karma is still in beta, Mantra is old, slow but capable. RS licence seems to be valid if you already own it for e.g. C4D so you dont have to buy it and RM is totally free without any limitations for non commercial use, otherwise 565€ perpetual I think.

So, nothing to fear, just understand its different... 🙂

Omg... I got super curious now! 😮 !!
I will try to check it out on the weekend.
Thanks Igor! 

3 minutes ago, FLima said:

Omg... I got super curious now! 😮 !!
I will try to check it out on the weekend.
Thanks Igor! 

Well, apprentice is totally free for life so its easy to check it out and decide. If you have any questions fire away. :cowboypistol:

So for today, a bit more playing around with Glass material and map blending inside nodes for those microdetails, plus some caustics. 

image.png

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I've been a Cinema 4D user for over 10 years, and then transitioned to Houdini the last couple of years now, after I ran into some bottlenecks in C4D.

I'm by no means a master of either software, but having made the jump myself, I'd be happy to help anyone looking to do the same, and looking to replicate certain C4D tasks in Houdini, in the easiest way possible.

My main focus is on motion graphics and archvis procedural modeling, but I also do the odd sim now and then.

Houdini is freaking awesome, and for the work I do, it blew C4D out of the water in terms of features and performance (and since I used Indie, price as well).

4 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Hey man, welcome!

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions and thank you for offering your help! Once @Igor comes back I'm sure he'd be glad to invite you to our little Houdini Discord we made, if you're interested.

Yeah, that'd be sweet. The most popular Houdini Discord is Think Procedural, but always nice to have a smaller group to chat with.

26 minutes ago, eikonoklastes said:

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I've been a Cinema 4D user for over 10 years, and then transitioned to Houdini the last couple of years now, after I ran into some bottlenecks in C4D.

I'm by no means a master of either software, but having made the jump myself, I'd be happy to help anyone looking to do the same, and looking to replicate certain C4D tasks in Houdini, in the easiest way possible.

My main focus is on motion graphics and archvis procedural modeling, but I also do the odd sim now and then.

Houdini is freaking awesome, and for the work I do, it blew C4D out of the water in terms of features and performance (and since I used Indie, price as well).

Awesome to hear man, welcome aboard, feel free to share some of your work. We might be a bit jealous but hey that's fine, we want to reach a next level to. 😊

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic