Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

a word of warning about Houdini tutorials, there are some very good tutorials but use an "older" version of Houdini (pre H17.5) which use tools/nodes which have been deprecated or merged into one tool. 

I have followed some C4D tutorials using Houdini it help with understanding Houdini modeling. this bracket is from Making it look Great 11. all quads, holes modeled - not booled.  I was in a rush so ignore the light on right.

bracket.jpg

1 minute ago, bobc4d said:

thank you and you are correct on both that render (done  in Mantra) and Clay Renders 

Mantra wile a bit slow its very capable and worth of try. You might also try Karma at some point as its the future, but its needs to be used in Solaris, or maybe try with Renderman. Its totally free for noncommercial, without any limitations and its on top of the rendering game, its Pixar in the end and I decided to use it. Its also first XPU renderer, but thats only included with Commercial license which is around 550$.

Something I did few days ago:

image.png

10 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

oh yeah. Houdini WARNING - save early save often. Houdini has a tendency to crash unexpectedly  

Huh, it has only crashed once on me so far and I've already spent ALOT of hours in it. Maybe it's the modeling stuff that tends to crash?

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

20 hours ago, Mike A said:

Umm...

Not sure what the issue is - apart from it definitely being 'user error' !

I can get the bump - but I get a faceted object - like there was no poly smoothing. It might be lighting / shadow related possibly.

A Normal map works fine, displacement also works fine.

I couldn't get any of the VEX builder nodes to work - the shader was looking for a texture string input, but all the relevant texture / bump nodes only seemed to offer colour / float / vector.

Anyway - onwards and upwards.

Hello. The bump issue has been addressed by Igor earlier (your value is far too high). Bring it down to something like 0.01 and it should work.

A couple of things to note about your scene:

1. You can MMB hold over any node to get a quick readout of its size. I mention that because your scale is likely way off. Houdini units are in meters, so your vase is currently 30 meters tall. Not that you can't do that, but you generally want to watch your scale from the outset - fewer gotchas down the line.

2. If you just want to bevel the lip, PolyBevel can do this automatically, without you having to make a selection. In the PolyBevel, delete your Group entry field, expand the Exclusions rollout, and enable Ignore Flat Edges. Then turn up the angle until it only bevels the sharpest angles.

3. Resample, by default, doesn't work like a Subdivide. It will add points to segments, while preserving the original shape of the curve. So, if you start with a faceted curve, you will resample to more points, but still end up with a faceted curve. There is a setting you can change on the resample to subdivide and smooth (Treat Polygons As: Subdivision Curves), or you can just use a Subdivide SOP.

If anyone is on Indie or above, I highly recommend taking a look at the 3Delight renderer. Mantra is fantastic with its feature support, but it is slow as hell. 

3Delight is entirely free to download and use for up to 12 cores, and produces beautiful images, along with being extremely speedy, especially with volumes. It also has built-in cloud rendering that's quite cheap and easy to set up and use. I don't work for them, although I do realise that I sound like an advertisement. It's just a great renderer to use, and entirely free if you just want to try it out.

3 minutes ago, eikonoklastes said:

If anyone is on Indie or above, I highly recommend taking a look at the 3Delight renderer. Mantra is fantastic with its feature support, but it is slow as hell. 

3Delight is entirely free to download and use for up to 12 cores, and produces beautiful images, along with being extremely speedy, especially with volumes. It also has built-in cloud rendering that's quite cheap and easy to set up and use. I don't work for them, although I do realise that I sound like an advertisement. It's just a great renderer to use, and entirely free if you just want to try it out.

Someone already mentioned the renderer here. And we have nothing against advertising of free software. 😉 I personally chosen Renderman while being free for non commercial use, at some point I will buy it because I like it and its Pixar in the end. 

4 hours ago, eikonoklastes said:

A couple of things to note about your scene:

Thanks for the tips - all really helpful and noted.
Funnily enough I'm a strong advocate for real scale modelling - I do a lot of technical visualisation.  Here I was just playing around - trying out the curves etc - and of course, before you know it you end up with a vase... : )

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic