Houdini Tests and Impressions

Guest Igor

So guys, this is how final version of Mjolnir looks like in procedural ways. Now its time for another mini project. You can download the model in download section of the forums if you are interested. :cowboypistol:

11 hours ago, bobc4d said:

very well done, love your procedural approach to  it and the Nordic alphabet

You should start sharing your Houdini work too. 🙂

I started to exploring KineFX which is new rigging and animation solution. Still work in progress, but for those interested in rigging, you can check this tutorial, great intro to it.

KineFX Rigging | Fur Dude | SideFX

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Igor

Here is the real power of Houdini...I was able to generate 50 different pieces of small island in no time. Now, I have only altered few parameters on geometry level, thats why top of the texture always looks the same. There are endless possibilities for procedural generation. I could have generate 1000 of different pieces, which really wild and every single piece could look totally different.

I had to do some compositing in DaVinci which in the end altered the render images, so that why render looks not that good. I am still in process of learning how to deal with compositing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 3:30 AM, Igor said:

I could have generate 1000 of different pieces, which really wild and every single piece could look totally different.

Not just generate any number of pieces, but the real beauty is in the astonishing level of control it gives you to craft exactly the look you want over those pieces. It allows you to vary any parameter of any incoming geometry that you are looking to copy, and have extremely precise control over those variations. Also, if you need to target any specific piece or group of pieces for extra special attention, you can do that without having to break your chain, keeping everything procedural, always.

44 minutes ago, eikonoklastes said:

Not just generate any number of pieces, but the real beauty is in the astonishing level of control it gives you to craft exactly the look you want over those pieces. It allows you to vary any parameter of any incoming geometry that you are looking to copy, and have extremely precise control over those variations. Also, if you need to target any specific piece or group of pieces for extra special attention, you can do that without having to break your chain, keeping everything procedural, always.

Yup, I am aware of that. And the thing is it's not so complicated as one might think. 🙂

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Yup, I am aware of that. And the thing is it's not so complicated as one might think. 🙂

As next steps, you can use TOPs/PDG to generate a contact sheet of your variations for reviewing:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pdg-for-design-work-pt-1-the-basics/

Side note: how the heck to like a post here? I'm, pretty sure I did it before, but I can't find the button any more.

21 hours ago, eikonoklastes said:

As next steps, you can use TOPs/PDG to generate a contact sheet of your variations for reviewing:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pdg-for-design-work-pt-1-the-basics/

Side note: how the heck to like a post here? I'm, pretty sure I did it before, but I can't find the button any more.

Igor is a special case, you can't upvote his posts.

For everybody else it should work, Button is at the bottom right of every post 😉

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Now that I started to feel more and more comfortable with Houdini and its ways of doing things I started to explore some abstract possibilities and features Houdini has to offer. One of those can be seen in the Node Network on the top right side. Houdini's node network can do much more then just contain nodes. As you can see I got this idea of importing an image of a concept art I am working on and visually organize things. I am still exploring the possibilities here, but man, this is really cool. And as you can see from my personal layout, Houdini doesn't have to look scary at all. :cowboypistol:

image.png

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community