Baking an animated Metaball

Go to solution Solved by Lonchaney,

Hello,
After making an animation based on a Metaball, I would now like to be able to export it 'baked' in an FBX to Unity.
I don't see how to do this at all...could you please help me?
Thank you for your help!

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section

Have you tried this?

Highlight metaball object -> File/Export -> FBX -> Adjust settings -> Export

If so, what's the actual problem?

You could also try alembic as the interchange format.

5 hours ago, JaymeSixtyFive said:

Thanks for the reply KEPPN! Simply exporting to FBX won't work. Baking to Alembic then exporting..the same: only the initial state of the object is exported!

When you export the .fbx there is an important option 'PLA to vertex cache'. This will generate a .mc file. From memory it is a script you add to the FBX model in Unity.

Then you apply the .mc file to it. It is a bit temperamental. You need a package in Unity to read .mc. There is one called Megafires which will read the .MC file in Unity.

I'm not sure if R23 has improved to the existent that you can cut all this work flow out?  Has anyone had any luck with PLA in Unreal engine?

EDIT: However a possible problem is the varying amount of polygons.

However a possible problem is the varying amount of polygons.

That's the point I think! The amount of polygons is indeed never the same since the metaball system is constantly evolving!

Only "Bake as Alambic" seems to create a new mesh per frame (and indeed the Alambic file if exported is about 25Mo where a single FBX export is 256Ko)

...but still no idea on how to export the whole stuff to FBX

I join a little example scene for the one that would want to help further!

Thanks!!

metaball.c4d

• Solution

As mentioned by JOOLSD in the post above this is a Unity limitation and not the fault of C4D. Unity does not know what to do with point level animation without a plugin. Megafiers, in my opinion, is the best and works well in Unity especially for AR/VR work. 

On 2/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, Lonchaney said:

As mentioned by JOOLSD in the post above this is a Unity limitation and not the fault of C4D. Unity does not know what to do with point level animation without a plugin. Megafiers, in my opinion, is the best and works well in Unity especially for AR/VR work. 

I agree with this...but forget the fact that it might be imported later in Unity, my main concern actually is to bake metaball animation to separate meshes on timeline and export the whole to fbx! I'm still not able to do this. The only think that seems to work (according to the resulting file size of the .abc file) is to bake to Alambic file!

I would like to know if it is possible to internally bake metaball animation to distinct meshes on the timeline!