UV maps from two identical objects not lining up.

Hi guys,

I’ve got two identical objects.

Object A has a UV Map and was saved out of 3DS Max but no material. (.fbx exported from 3DS Max)

Object B has a UV Map and was saved out of C4D but has a material.

I’ve been trying to copy paste the material from Object B to Object A. This doesn’t line up because the UV’s are different. 

Has anyone got any ideas or experience converting objects and materials from 3DS Max to C4D?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section - pls take care to post in right subforum. (see edit history)

Yep, the UV from Max can't be read by Cinema, so that needs to go in the bin, and you need to do another one in Cinema. I am not saying it is impossible, but the sheer amount of running round the houses you'd have to do to try and convert one to the other is almost certainly more time than it would take to just UV the Cinema one again, and customise any bitmaps to match those new UVs.

CBR

I don't understand why you say that 3D Max objects exported to FBX would have different UVs in Cinema? UV, that is UV, are the coordinates of the mesh vertex in 2D space. I repeatedly saved objects from 3D Max to FBX and loaded into Cinema 4D and never had UV problems. Can you write when this problem occurs? Because I have never met him despite converting hundreds of objects.

17 hours ago, slingbacker said:

I’ve been trying to copy paste the material from Object B to Object A. This doesn’t line up because the UV’s are different. 

Has anyone got any ideas or experience converting objects and materials from 3DS Max to C4D?

I don't have any experience with 3DS Max exported objects.

One thing I can say, and this might be related to your problem ... it might not, is that in recent past MAXON has changed the way UVs are visualized in Cinema4D.

Before that change the UV's were shown in the UV view with the origin at the top left corner. Meaning that 0,0 was at top left, and 1,1 was at bottom right.

Back then no UV axis was shown either.

Since R21 (and the introduction of the new GUI) they suddenly changed that. UV axes where introduced, and the origin became bottom left.

In short, the UVs values are mirrored in the V direction, as can be seen on following screenshots.

While the visual remain the same, just have a look at what the structure manager shows for the UV coordinates. The V values in R21 (and up) show a complement of 1, relative to what they represent in R20.

UVs-R20-R21.thumb.jpg.52c0180cb10b46281300bb007893229d.jpg

Again ... I am not saying this is what you experience, but it's something to consider.

On the other hand, it is also simply possible that the point order of your objects have changed when importing the FBX file into Cinema4D.

Which means that while the coordinates are left the same, point A in object 1 isn't point A in object 2 ... and this for ALL points. Which would quite mix up the whole resulting texture mapping.

Without a screenshot of your issue it's difficult to know what you're experiencing as "not lining up".

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community