Marvelous Designer to Cinema 4D animation workflow?

Go to solution Solved by Rectro,

Hey all,

is anyone here familiar with a proper workflow to get simulated clothes from MD into C4D? So far it has been hit or miss for me, since Riptide Pro doesn't work with R23 and it seems like there won't be an update MDD isn't an option. 

It seems C4D isn't able to read the exported FBX animations, so what I have been doing so far is to import them into 3DS Max, set the Point Cache manually, export it and import it to Cinema, which works for some reason while the directly imported animation from MD doesn't, but it takes a long time and gave me other issues.

Im aware you can import albemic that's exported from MD but this isn't practical with clothes where you want to have different colours for different pieces of clothing. 

The only other option I can think of is an OBJ sequence which works natively in C4D since R23 - but this isn't optimal either since you have hundreds of files and end up with a 10GB obj folder, which also kills the VRAM for rendering with Octane quite quickly... so is Cinema just not the software to work with MD simulations or am I being stupid?

I appreciate any help in advance,

Broshi

• Solution

Hi

Im  using MD8.  In this version you have a UV editor.  In there right click and click select (Set Uv from pattern alignment.)  Select all and shrink to fit within the UV space 1:1.

Export with Unified Uvs on as Alembic.  Bring this into C4D and select clothed object and make editable.  You can now select the polygons for individual clothing by double clicking on the geometry in Polygon selection mode or doing the same in the UV view.  When selected make a new material and assign it to th selection,  a selection set is made for it automatically.  You can now do the same for all other clothing.

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

3 hours ago, Rectro said:

Hi

Im  using MD8.  In this version you have a UV editor.  In there right click and click select (Set Uv from pattern alignment.)  Select all and shrink to fit within the UV space 1:1.

Export with Unified Uvs on as Alembic.  Bring this into C4D and select clothed object and make editable.  You can now select the polygons for individual clothing by double clicking on the geometry in Polygon selection mode or doing the same in the UV view.  When selected make a new material and assign it to th selection,  a selection set is made for it automatically.  You can now do the same for all other clothing.

Dan

Hey Dan, thanks for your reply!

I just tried this and it works perfectly thank you so much 🙂

Broshi

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community