Quantizing not updating properly (R23)

Hey

Quite a simple but consistent bug

The quantizing input field does not update the value at times and keeps a previous value, so quantizing does move things at an old increment

This affects SHIFT quantizing as well

Gif:

You see quantizing set at 25 and clearly active

It does quantize at my previous setting of 100 however

Toggling quantizing does not fix it

Pressing Enter on the field fixes it to 25

Quanti.gif

Windows, R23 latest version, happens on multiple PCs

I think quantizing is meant to work a bit different way. With pressing Shift quantizing is enabled "remotely" and adjusted values are used. Maybe developers not expect adding command into layout and changing values to much often...

• 4 weeks later...

This leads me to another thought. Wouldn't it be nice if you could reduce/increase the quantize setting via shortcuts (e.g., the order of magnitude - 10/1/0.1/0.01/etc... units), so you don't have to go back and forth to that edit control?

I've always thought about writing a script to do that and maybe even to remember some Quantize settings favorites so you can select them with a single click.

Is that something others would find useful or am I the only one constantly fiddling with Quantize settings?

14 minutes ago, SharpEars said:

This leads me to another thought. Wouldn't it be nice if you could reduce/increase the quantize setting via shortcuts (e.g., the order of magnitude - 10/1/0.1/0.01/etc... units), so you don't have to go back and forth to that edit control?

I've always thought about writing a script to do that and maybe even to remember some Quantize settings favorites so you can select them with a single click.

Is that something others would find useful or am I the only one constantly fiddling with Quantize settings?

I have written a number of scripts (well, the same script with different values) to do exactly that... set the Quantize to certain settings, or switch it off. Like that:

import c4d
from c4d.modules import snap

def main():
    if not snap.IsQuantizeEnabled(doc):
        # Enable quantizing if not activated
        c4d.CallCommand(c4d.QUANTIZE_ENABLED)

bd = doc.GetActiveBaseDraw()
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_MOVE, 1.0)
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_SCALE, 0.05) # 5%
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_ROTATE, c4d.utils.Rad(1.0))
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_TEXTURE, 0.05)
    c4d.EventAdd()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

I put these on Q~0 to Q~5 for easy access.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, Cairyn said:

I have written a number of scripts (well, the same script with different values) to do exactly that... set the Quantize to certain settings, or switch it off. Like that:

import c4d
from c4d.modules import snap

def main():
    if not snap.IsQuantizeEnabled(doc):
        # Enable quantizing if not activated
        c4d.CallCommand(c4d.QUANTIZE_ENABLED)

bd = doc.GetActiveBaseDraw()
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_MOVE, 1.0)
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_SCALE, 0.05) # 5%
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_ROTATE, c4d.utils.Rad(1.0))
    snap.SetQuantizeStep(doc, bd, c4d.QUANTIZE_TEXTURE, 0.05)
    c4d.EventAdd()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

I put these on Q~0 to Q~5 for easy access.

I was thinking of something along the same lines, but with the ability to select between different snap settings via some HUD element and/or shortcut. For example, often you need to move in increments of 10, but then fine tune in increments of 1, 0.1, 0.01, etc...

You can use the shift key to select between 1 or 10, but that provides only two order of magnitude for quantizing translation. I was thinking that if you could have a hot key to go up and down orders of magnitude, you could accurately position using units from 1000 to 0.001, depending on the level of fine tuning needed.

The above applies for scaling and rotation as well. For rotation, for example, sometimes you want to go by 45 degs, sometimes 5, sometimes 12.5, etc... It would be nice to be able to cycle through common rotation settings, even decimal ones, from a relatively small set of fixed angle settings (e.g., 90/45/30/22.5/15/10/5/2.5/1/0.5/0.1/etc.).

Another great idea I had is to make quantization settings object or hierarchy specific (with inheritance/override capability) via a tag (User Data data/expresso driven or perhaps a custom tag for the role).

Having to constantly type in quantization values really interferes with a smooth workflow for me and I don't know how modelers that don't know Python (and the C4D Python API) cope with this issue when they need to move between various quantization settings.

Maybe I am missing some built-in feature of the software that is built for this purpose and alleviates the issue? It's hard to imagine that modelers are constantly typing and retyping those Quantization settings to toggle between different sets of settings.

1 hour ago, SharpEars said:

I was thinking of something along the same lines, but with the ability to select between different snap settings via some HUD element and/or shortcut. For example, often you need to move in increments of 10, but then fine tune in increments of 1, 0.1, 0.01, etc...

Personally, I do not feel that need. If I need a precision of 0.1, then I can set the quantization to 0.1 and just drag. I don't need to set it to 10 first to get "close" since it makes absolutely no difference for the mouse movement. My quantize values are set to the precision I currently and ultimately need. It may be a little bit quicker if the quantization is a bit coarser because you don't need to fiddle-diddle with tiny mouse movements between 49.8, 49.9, 50 if that's where you wanted to get to. You can see the numeric result during dragging after all.

Same for rotations; if you are working in the one-degree precision range, and want an object turned 45 degrees, do you really set the quantization to 45 degrees? I don't; I just drag the rotation gadget 45 steps at a quantization of 1, which is the same. 45° quantization only makes sense if you have a lot of objects to rotate in that magnitude, and if that is the case, I can select one of my scripts to set the quant accordingly. Or even type the quantization.

Your ideas sound noble, but are they really saving time? How many key presses do you need to select an order of magnitude and fine-tune a quantization? While certainly possible as a script, I have the feeling that in the same time I could type the desired quant in the Modeling window.

And no, I never had the slightest need to store the quantization depending on the object or the hierarchy in a tag.

2 hours ago, SharpEars said:

Maybe I am missing some built-in feature of the software that is built for this purpose and alleviates the issue? It's hard to imagine that modelers are constantly typing and retyping those Quantization settings to toggle between different sets of settings.

Well, I'm not; I select one quant setting depending on my current order-of-magnitude needs, and then I just work along. In case I need it, I have my scripts. Otherwise, I can work with snapping or with entering the numeric values in the coordinate manager.

I set it once at the beginning of every project, to a value that is likely to be useful at the scale of that project, and then expect to change it a few times depending on what I am doing to the model. I don't really consider that an inconvenience.

CBR

On 4/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, Cerbera said:

I set it once at the beginning of every project, to a value that is likely to be useful at the scale of that project, and then expect to change it a few times depending on what I am doing to the model. I don't really consider that an inconvenience.

CBR

17 hours ago, bezo said:

...maybe 🙂

I personally never used different settings just defaults...

(maybe once just for single operation and revert back to defaults, if needed some exact values, enter them directly via coordinate manager...)

And perhaps the above quoted reasons are exactly why I find a history of settings and the ability to select between them useful. I think that it would be far easier to select such settings, either individually for one of PSR or together as a group, with a single click or keypress among several such (historic) settings, than to have to go and type them in manually and then have to revert them, perhaps back to default. Maybe my stance would be far more convincing with a demo of what I am thinking of, so I will consider making that to present you with something more tangible to gauge whether it would be useful to others.